Is this a reliable way to determine the alcohol %?

• Thread starter LennoxLewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alcohol
In summary, the conversation discusses using the freezing point of alcohol to determine its percentage in a drink. The experiment involves placing a glass of whiskey mixed with water in the freezer and observing the freezing point. However, the behavior of binary mixes during phase transitions can be unpredictable, so this method may not be accurate. Other possible methods mentioned include using the known densities of ethanol and whiskey to determine the alcohol percentage.
LennoxLewis
Alcohol (ethanol) has a freezing point of -114 degrees Celcius. Can this be used to determine the alcohol percentage in a drink?

Last week i put a glass of whiskey mixed with some water (about 1:1) and the surface was just frozen after i left it a night in the freezer, which was somewhere between -22 and -17 degrees Celcius (i didn't take an accurate reading because i just wanted it to be really cold).

So, given that whiskey has about 40% alcohol, the total theoretical percentage is about 20%, which means the freezing point of this "cocktail" is (0.2 * -114 + 0.8 * 0) = -23 degrees Celcius. Although not very practical because you're bound to a certain temperature range and it's hard to decrease the temperatur step-by-step, is this reasoning correct? The small experiment indicates so..

By the way, I've placed this one in the physics and not chemistry forum because it only deals with freezing points and volume ratios. Admin, feel free to move it if necessary.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, but this seems to be wrong. Binary mixes behave very "non linear" when it comes to phase transitions see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eutectic What you have discovered seems to be more of a phase separation, where some water freezes out leaving the rest of the liquid with a higher alcohol concentration.
Water alcohol mixes might be some special case though, where the "hanging part" of the transition line is very flat, and your idea could work, but then I would expect no phase separation but the whole mix to freeze solid.

I see. Is there an other physical (not chemical) way to determine the alcohol level? Counting the number of glasses that gets me smashed doesn't count!

The first thing that came to my mind was weighing it and using the known densities. Ethanol is 0.789 g/mL. This would be a problem though if there were other things besides ethanol and water. But I suppose you could find the density of pure whiskey yourself first, then use that to figure out how much of the mixture is added water.

1. What is the process used to determine the alcohol percentage in a substance?

The most common way to determine alcohol percentage is through a process called distillation. This involves heating and condensing the substance to separate the alcohol from other components. The resulting liquid is then measured for alcohol content.

2. How accurate is the method used to determine alcohol percentage?

The accuracy of alcohol percentage determination can vary depending on the method used and the equipment used. Generally, the distillation method is considered to be the most accurate, with a margin of error of about 0.1-0.2%.

3. Are there any other methods besides distillation for determining alcohol percentage?

Yes, there are other methods such as refractometry, gas chromatography, and infrared spectroscopy. However, these methods may not be as accurate as distillation and may require specialized equipment.

4. Can the temperature of the substance affect the accuracy of the alcohol percentage determination?

Yes, the temperature of the substance can affect the accuracy of the determination. This is because alcohol has a lower boiling point than other components, so if the temperature is too high, it may result in a higher alcohol percentage measurement.

5. Is there a standard method for determining alcohol percentage?

Yes, there are several standard methods recognized by different organizations, such as the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) and the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). These methods outline specific procedures and equipment to be used for accurate alcohol percentage determination.