Is This a Scam? Let's Discuss!

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary, several people have received letters addressed to them that are apparently a scam, where the content is always the same and the address is connected to a credit card company.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
The following situation may be a scam. I'd like to hear what other forum members think.

Several times a year, I receive a letter addressed to my NM USA mailing address, but instead of having my name on it, it is addressed to "Hoyt Inman". The return address is:

New Mexico EPC Program
P. O Box 81069
Austin, TX 78708

(It's strange than a NM program would have a Texas address!) The contents are always the same. It is a computer document in the format of a credit card statement. The entries are always the same.

This seems to be an attempt to get me to contact the "New Mexico EPC Program" or at least do a "return to sender" with the letter. Perhaps someone is making a list of people who would be so courteous.

I can't report this to USPS as fraud, because I haven't been defrauded of anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
Stephen Tashi said:
New Mexico EPC Program
A Google search (which you've probably already done) turns up all kinds of stuff, but it's hard to tell if your specific interaction could be a scam.

BTW, TIL that you and your neighbors are called "New Mexicans". Who knew? I mean, there's nothing wrong with that, but is has several different meanings, and it sounds more like new folks who just entered Mexico, not NM.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=New+Mexico+EPC+Program

• Informative
Likes Oldman too
It's strange than a NM program would have a Texas address

This might not be that strange, when I had to mail in a check to pay for a toll in new Jersey once, the mailing address was in Florida. I assume because they contracted out to a private company that didn't want to pay new Jersey taxes.

Likes russ_watters
Stephen Tashi said:
Several times a year, I receive a letter addressed to my NM USA mailing address, but instead of having my name on it, it is addressed to "Hoyt Inman".
Depending on how long you've lived at your address, @Stephen Tashi, could it be for a previous resident, and the repeated details are merely the current statement of a static account of some kind?

• Informative
Likes Oldman too, Rive and berkeman
I would just throw the letters away.

berkeman said:
BTW, TIL that you and your neighbors are called "New Mexicans". Who knew? I mean, there's nothing wrong with that, but is has several different meanings, and it sounds more like new folks who just entered Mexico, not NM.
That might make an interesting thread. Are "New Yorkers" newly arrived in York? They would be "New Yorkshiremen"? What about "South Dakotans"?

Likes Oldman too and russ_watters
An accepted response (by the Postal Service) is to draw a
diagonal line (lower left to upper right) thru the addresee & address and add a NOT AT
notation in large block letters at the end of the line, somewhere near the stamp.

If it has First Class postage it will generally be returned to sender. Unless the sender likes to waste postage on junk mail, they seem to clean up their mailing list.

• Informative
Likes Astronuc, Oldman too, gmax137 and 1 other person
Stephen Tashi said:
New Mexico EPC Program
P. O Box 81069
Austin, TX 78708
The address seems to be connected to credit cards
1650529162082.png

(From a cached version of a document)
I don't think that this one is a fraud, but it's likely not related to you.

• Informative
Likes Melbourne Guy
I think the letter is an attempt to get people to contact.

Customer Service 1-866-898-2213

Visit our website
www.EPPICard.com

Write to us:
Customer Account Services
P. O. Box 245997
San Antonio, TX 78224-5997

(I don't intend to contact them.)

The current version of the letter says "Hoyt" has a (positive) balance of $99.10 and no activity on his card.
Rive said:
The address seems to be connected to credit cards
View attachment 300329
(From a cached version of a document)
I don't think that this one is a fraud, but it's likely not related to you.

What card did this document apply to?

Melbourne Guy said:
Depending on how long you've lived at your address, @Stephen Tashi, could it be for a previous resident, and the repeated details are merely the current statement of a static account of some kind?

I've lived at the current address for over 30 years and no mail, other than these letters, has ever come addressed to a Hoyt Inman.

• Informative
Likes Oldman too
Stephen Tashi said:
I've lived at the current address for over 30 years
That's certainly long enough, @Stephen Tashi, for it not to be 'the previous tenant'. Possibly the customer address database is incorrect, because sending physical mail to execute a scam is unusual because it is comparatively expensive compared to email, text, or phone versions.

Likes Oldman too
Plenty of good suggestions so far, the two Hoyt's in L.C. complicate things but @Tom.G has the answer as far as I can see. The address in Texas is a can of worms, multiple names and associations, like a lot of P.O. boxes. I'd avoid any contact with that other than returning it as Tom says. These type of events should always be a flag to watch your info monitoring closely, spoofing etc. isn't what it once was and Bots work cheap.
Good Luck, Scott

Hey, any resolution with this? I just got one and want to know what i should do... :/ I hope someone doesn't have my info

Also, seems odd that this is on a science forum. I work in STEM too...what the heck

1. What is considered a scam?

A scam is a fraudulent or deceptive scheme or act, typically carried out by someone or a group of people with the intention of taking advantage of or deceiving others for personal gain.

2. How can I tell if something is a scam?

There are a few red flags to look out for when determining if something is a scam. These include unsolicited emails or phone calls requesting personal information or money, promises of large sums of money or prizes in exchange for a small fee, and pressure to act quickly without giving you time to think or do research.

3. What should I do if I think I've been scammed?

If you believe you have been scammed, it's important to act quickly. Contact your bank or credit card company to report any fraudulent charges, change your passwords for any online accounts that may have been compromised, and report the scam to the appropriate authorities, such as the Federal Trade Commission or your local police department.

4. Can I get my money back if I've been scammed?

It depends on the situation and the amount of money involved. If you paid with a credit card, you may be able to dispute the charges and get a refund. However, if you paid with cash or wire transfer, it may be more difficult to recover your money. It's important to act quickly and report the scam as soon as possible.

5. How can I protect myself from scams?

There are several steps you can take to protect yourself from scams. These include being cautious of unsolicited offers or requests for personal information, never giving out your personal or financial information to someone you don't know, and doing research on a company or individual before doing business with them. It's also important to regularly check your bank and credit card statements for any suspicious activity.