Is this an indication that I should stay away from higher math?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Hsopitalist
  • Start date
In summary: When you are working on problems, make sure you are taking notes and reviewing what you have done so far. I also recommend getting exposure to more "pure" math; there are many great resources online. Keep up the good work!
grandpa2390 said:
... that you only learn in math/science from making mistakes.
That's what I've been doing wrong all these years. I must try harder to get things wrong a few times before I get them right!

• Haha
Likes etotheipi, grandpa2390 and vela
Physics news on Phys.org
grandpa2390 said:
you only learn in math/science from making mistakes. The best way to learn is to try, try, and try again. And everytime you make a mistake, you learn how "not" to do it. You learn what "doesn't" make sense. etc.
If you make a statement like this in a forum full of obsessive/compulsive people (like me), you must expect a response. ;>)
Gauss is not regarded as a genius because of the mistakes he made. There are two types of mistakes. One type is just an error in mechanical calculations. The other type is a conceptual error. I would not worry much about the calculation errors because that is just trying to compete against calculators or computers. The conceptual errors are the ones to work on. The goal is to get enough intuitive understanding of the concepts that those errors do not occur often.

Likes etotheipi
FactChecker said:
If you make a statement like this in a forum full of obsessive/compulsive people (like me), you must expect a response. ;>)
Gauss is not regarded as a genius because of the mistakes he made. There are two types of mistakes. One type is just an error in mechanical calculations. The other type is a conceptual error. I would not worry much about the calculation errors because that is just trying to compete against calculators or computers. The conceptual errors are the ones to work on. The goal is to get enough intuitive understanding of the concepts that those errors do not occur often.
I think you missed the point I was making. It has nothing to do with Gauss or any other great scientist.

research shows that you learn more and retain better when you endure through your struggle with the material. It's ok to make calculation and conceptual errors as long as you stick with it long enough to realize those errors. After you sat there kicking yourself for 30 minutes or 30 hours trying to figure out where you went wrong solving the problem, the Eureka moment that you earn will stay with you for a long time. AS WELL as all of the stupid conceptual and calculator errors you made on the way to it.

So the next time you are struggling with a Physics problem and start to head on over to Chegg.com, stick with it a bit longer. an answer that is given rather than earned will teach you less. I really thought that was the philosophy of the Physics Forums help section.

Last edited:
Likes StatGuy2000 and Keith_McClary
PeroK said:
That's what I've been doing wrong all these years. I must try harder to get things wrong a few times before I get them right!
lol, ok wise guy. if you are getting the problem right on the first time, fine. If you are getting it wrong, don't reach for the answer key, keep working at it until you get it right.

but honestly... it doesn't hurt to experiment and try other ways of solving the problem besides the one you know will work.

Last edited:
grandpa2390 said:
After you sat there kicking yourself for 30 minutes or 30 hours trying to figure out where you went wrong solving the problem, the Eureka moment that you earn will stay with you for a long time.

What if, after 30 hours, you realize you missed a negative sign on the second line of working...

etotheipi said:
What if, after 30 hours, you realize you missed a negative sign on the second line of working...
the next time you sit down to start working out a problem, you better believe your bookkeeping will improve. You will be checking and double checking your signs. And if you still miss one, it probably won't take you 30 hours to realize it. checking your signs will be the first thing you do.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
grandpa2390 said:
the next time you sit down to start working out a problem, you better believe your bookkeeping will improve. You will be checking and double checking your signs. And if you still miss one, it probably won't take you 30 hours to realize it. checking your signs will be the first thing you check.
The lesson I learned is to do any complicated calculations in computer code with many intermediate calculations. That makes it possible to see the step-by-step results and decide if they make sense.
Even then, it may still take 30 hours because the errors are so often in the part that you were the most confident of.

Likes StoneTemplePython and grandpa2390
I remember one of my teachers showing me this study which claims that you are working at the correct level if you have an 85% success rate.

There is often merit to getting stuck and having to puzzle stuff out, but if you get to the point where you're just getting everything wrong, I don't think that's healthy (for motivation or general sanity). And in the case of trivial errors like sign errors, spending lots of time searching for them is a bit of a waste in my opinion. Better just to check it and move on, and avoid all of that frustration.

Likes Klystron, grandpa2390 and FactChecker
etotheipi said:
I remember one of my teachers showing me this study which claims that you are working at the correct level if you have an 85% success rate.

There is often merit to getting stuck and having to puzzle stuff out, but if you get to the point where you're just getting everything wrong, I don't think that's healthy (for motivation or general sanity). And in the case of trivial errors like sign errors, spending lots of time searching for them is a bit of a waste in my opinion. Better just to check it and move on, and avoid all of that frustration.
I don't know. There's merit to that opinion. Spending a ton of time trying to figure out where you went wrong just to discover it was a sign error is no fun. But at the same time, the real world doesn't have answer keys and solution manuals. Learning proper bookkeeping and how to go back and find your mistakes is important.
or even learning how to recognize when you've made a mistake.

I don't know. I'm not a genius like some of the responders to my original post. For me a degree in Physics was a degree in persistence. lol. I probably would have done better to major in engineering as I originally planned. And when people ask me what I majored in, and I tell them Physics, their initial reaction is one of awe... but I quickly inform them that I'm not a genius, I just learned how to be persistent and stick with it until I got it. and that's something anyone could do. But that's just my experience, and I thought I would share it because I think someone who went through medical school could relate to the idea and be encouraged to stick with it.

Last edited:
Likes etotheipi and symbolipoint
grandpa2390 said:
Learning proper bookkeeping and how to go back and find your mistakes is important.
or even learning how to recognize when you've made a mistake.
This is a very good point. Checking every single thing requires a discipline which is a learned skill.

Likes grandpa2390, Hsopitalist and etotheipi
I don't know either. If I'm learning a new topic, it doesn't bother me immensely if I make a silly arithmetic mistake or three, so long as I can get the overarching concepts down. I would hope that these make up most of the '15%', and as that topic becomes more familiar that the frequency of these errors decreases naturally.

Likes grandpa2390
FactChecker said:
You are already dealing with examples of abstraction. When you study "functions" and their properties, that is an abstraction. The function is a mathematical concept that can be used in many real-world applications. You are studying its properties that will hold for any particular application. That concept of abstraction will be carried farther as you go deeper into mathematics.

Sweet.

And my copy of Moises part 1 came today! So excited

Likes FactChecker
Hsopitalist said:
Sweet.

And my copy of Moises part 1 came today! So excited

what's that?

Likes Hsopitalist
grandpa2390 said:
what's that?

It's a calculus text from 1966 recommended by midget dwarf

Likes grandpa2390
Hsopitalist said:
It's a calculus text from 1966 recommended by midget dwarf
How do you like it so far? The first section can be a bit weird for most newcomers. So maybe you do not like this section, but it gets way better. Have you arrived to the discussion of a parabola, a neat discussion of snells law, and parabolic sector? What I found very cool was the discussion of tangency in calculus.

Likes Hsopitalist
MidgetDwarf said:
How do you like it so far? The first section can be a bit weird for most newcomers. So maybe you do not like this section, but it gets way better. Have you arrived to the discussion of a parabola, a neat discussion of snells law, and parabolic sector? What I found very cool was the discussion of tangency in calculus.

I read through chapter one. It's different than what I'm used to but in an interesting way. Haven't gotten to the parabolas yet. I'm excited to though.

Parabolic sector. Interesting.