Is this how one runs cable when upgrading a house?

DaveC426913
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Getting some electrical upgrades in our recently-purhased house. I've never seen so many holes.
Is this common practice?

1698373746750.png

There's 4 holes cut in this wall (one in the left way at the top) to run a light and light switch in the room on the other side.

This electrician (who has done work for us before) was given instructions to install various circuits in our finished basement. Some of them are in our kitchen, but these are in the laundry room, to provide a wall switched light in the office.

Here's the layout (with new circuit/light/switch):

1698374944823.png

You can see the holes are in the laundry room side, so, granted, they're a utilitarian room. (And these room divisions are recent, and amateur by the previous owner. So pretty crummy.) There are no such holes in the office side of the wall itself.

(Although my kitchen bulkheads over the cupboards are riddled with cutouts.)
1698375208335.jpeg

Engineering news on Phys.org
That first photo shows what is going on.

To run wiring inside the walls the electrician has to drill holes thru the studs (the wood visible inside the central hole in the photo). These run from the floor to the ceiling and add stiffness to the wall, may help support the ceiling, and supply something to nail the wallboard to.

Here in the States, the spacing between studs is usually 16 inches, but 24 inch spacing is occassionally found in some construction types.

Depending on what is in the way, they can sometimes us a very long auger bit to drill thru two studs at once.

Those big holes in the ceiling are for access to run the wires through the attic space. The top ends of studs mentioned above are nailed to a board at the top of the wall, so holes must also be drilled there for wire passage.

Off hand, it looks like he is doing a rather neat job.

Hang in there! This too shall pass. (Construction is MESSY. It's the results that count.)

Cheers,
Tom

Likes davenn, CalcNerd and russ_watters
DaveC426913 said:
Getting some electrical upgrades in our recently-purhased house. I've never seen so many holes.
If you are depressed about the mess, then think about the classic European houses with solid (brick) wallso0)

(The same mess if 'it's just an upgrade' too)

Tom.G said:
To run wiring inside the walls the electrician has to drill holes thru the studs (the wood visible inside the central hole in the photo). These run from the floor to the ceiling and add stiffness to the wall, may help support the ceiling, and supply something to nail the wallboard to.
Yeah, I've constructed a few walls in my time.

I guess retrofitting a house is what's new to me.

I live in an old home for 30 years. The way they retrofitted it before we moved in was to run cable along outside the baseboards throughout the living room, so u guess I shouldn't complain

Tom.G said:
(Construction is MESSY. It's the results that count.)
Guess who's gonna be patching those holes...
:confused:

Yes, wall chasing is a popular sport here, digging out channels in solid plaster/brick. There are special tools for it, rather like an angle grinder with a very wide blade that cuts the channel all in one Go.

Stringing cable through a stud wall often means encountering dead ends, so you have to make a cutout to broach through and continue.

Once patched up it should be good for a good few decades. Two things to think about:

1: Consider doubling the number of sockets while you’re at it. Seriously.
2: What else can you run in there while the wall’s open: Cat5? fibre optic? Water? TV? Heating control wire?

Likes Tom.G and DaveC426913

1. What type of cable should I use for upgrading my house?

For most residential upgrades, CAT6 Ethernet cables are recommended for networking to support higher speeds and better performance. For television and internet connections, coaxial cables are commonly used. For electrical wiring, use cables that meet the local electrical code requirements, typically NM (non-metallic) sheathed cable.

2. How do I run cables through existing walls?

To run cables through existing walls, you'll need to locate the studs and plan the path to minimize cuts and damage. Use a stud finder to help with this. Make small holes to fish the wires through, using a flexible drill bit and fish tape. Always check for existing wiring and plumbing to avoid damage.

3. Is it necessary to follow local building codes when running new cables?

Yes, it's crucial to follow local building codes and regulations when running new cables in your home. This ensures safety and compliance. It may be necessary to obtain permits or have the work inspected by a professional. Non-compliance can lead to safety hazards and problems when selling your home.

4. Can I run electrical cables and data cables in the same conduit or channel?

It is generally not advisable to run electrical cables and data cables in the same conduit due to potential interference from the electrical cables, which can degrade the performance of the data cables. If they must be run close together, shielded data cables can be used to minimize interference.

5. What is the best way to ensure that newly installed cables are safe and efficient?

To ensure safety and efficiency, use high-quality cables and components that meet or exceed industry standards. Have the installation done by a qualified professional if you are not experienced. Regularly inspect and test the cables after installation to ensure they are functioning correctly and safely.