Is this just a normal fluorescence of glass molecules?

In summary,This conversation is about a person's experiments involving a high-voltage power supply and a small light bulb. They speculate on what is causing the strange effect and if it is harmful. They also discuss if xrays might be emitted from the apparatus.
patric44
hi guys

i recently had built a HV power supply out of an old Flyback transformer i had laying around , i think it produces about 10KV ~ 15KV not very sure but it could arc at about ( 6mm in air ) ,

14493440bd44992f6a0dd1a494b7ae4181cf9062503d8cb3309def5fdac43e54d4525fd8.jpg

and as you can see i tried to connect it to a 15W smal light bulb ( the positive terminal is connected to the strange looking rod you see on the left which is just touching the glass ) and i saw that strange effect .
( i don't know but i think its just the highly energetic electrons exiting the glass molecules which causes it to flurecence ) , give me your opinion on what is this ?! and could this apparatus produce xrays ?!

Attachments

• 14493440bd44992f6a0dd1a494b7ae4181cf9062503d8cb3309def5fdac43e54d4525fd8.jpg
    14493440bd44992f6a0dd1a494b7ae4181cf9062503d8cb3309def5fdac43e54d4525fd8.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 890
Physics news on Phys.org

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-5_17-51-5.jpeg
    upload_2018-7-5_17-51-5.jpeg
    6.2 KB · Views: 629
the argon glow discharge is very far of this color plus i have another gas tube filled with argon and it produces a purple discharge that's a photo of it :
DSCF3692.jpg

the other glow is more of a yellowish green glow ( it doesn't seem to be glow discharge either ) its more like of a momentary flashes not a continios glow
another thing i have to mention is that the filament is broken and its impacts rapidly with the glass of the bulb could this be the cause or anything ?!

i just want to know these electrons are exiting what ?! because it doesn't seem to be the gas inside the bulb for some reason !
unfortunately i don't have a prism or a diffraction grating .

Attachments

• DSCF3692.jpg
    DSCF3692.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 677
In the second picture you posted the color seems pretty close to the one I posted, :woot:

It is hard from the pictures to see where the light is actually coming from, does it look like it comes from inside the bulb?

patric44 said:
the filament is broken and its impacts rapidly with the glass
More physics at work, neat! Electromagnetism at work?

More small bulbs needed?

Spinnor said:
In the second picture you posted the color seems pretty close to the one I posted, :woot:

It is hard from the pictures to see where the light is actually coming from, does it look like it comes from inside the bulb?

More physics at work, neat! Electromagnetism at work?

More small bulbs needed?
yes! it comes from inside the bulb .

what really confuses me is that the glow doesn't match any of the nobel gases glow discahrge :

40e72863758b3e4b49ebc403d2258bc2.jpg

so , could this be from exiting the glass molecules or any thing ?!
i read some where that the yellowish green glow in the glass is somewhat an indication of xrays ?! is that correct ?
or i couldn't be producing xrays with relativaly low voltages ( 10 ~ 15 KV )

Attachments

• 40e72863758b3e4b49ebc403d2258bc2.jpg
    40e72863758b3e4b49ebc403d2258bc2.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 555
Perhaps a mixture of gasses? Break the bulb to find out if it is the glass.

Likes Spinnor
It looks somewhat like the glow discharge of krypton in the photo below. A special incandescent light bulb (A) filled with inert krypton gas is touching a plasma globe (B). A discharge occurs through the krypton gas in the light bulb, emitting greenish light. The spectrum of the discharge as seen by a hand spectroscope (C), corresponds with a krypton spectrum found on internet (D). Even the violet lines are present.

So you might get a stronger emission from your 15 W light bulb by holding it next to a plasma globe.

combi2.jpg

Attachments

• combi2.jpg
    combi2.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 954
Last edited:
Likes Spinnor and Tom.G
spareine said:
It looks somewhat like the glow discharge of krypton in the photo below. A special incandescent light bulb (A) filled with inert krypton gas is touching a plasma globe (B). A discharge occurs through the krypton gas in the light bulb, emitting greenish light. The spectrum of the discharge as seen by a hand spectroscope (C), corresponds with a krypton spectrum found on internet (D). Even the violet lines are present.

So you might get a stronger emission from your 15 W light bulb by holding it next to a plasma globe.

View attachment 227817

thank you spareine , krypton! i didn't see that one coming :) LOL
but i have a question : isn't krypton is much more expensive than argon to use it for filling a regular light bulb ?

Yes, the krypton light bulb cost about 2 euros, so it is more expensive than an ordinary bulb, but still within budget. :smile: I don't know whether krypton extends the lamp's life more than the cheaper argon, but I bought the krypton light bulb just for this experiment.

(I bought a xenon light bulb as well (same price), and its glow discharge emits a similar greenish light, but I did not succeed in seeing its line spectrum through the spectroscope.)

i searced online and , i saw that video on youtube :

i was wondering is that green glow really indicates that xrays is being produced ?!
becouse in my apparatus i think it might be the same glow , i tried to hold a neon indicator close to the bulb
the neon indicator was flashing 20cm away from the bulb ?!
and why xrays would produce such a glow ?!

Likes Spinnor
patric44 said:
i searced online and , i saw that video on youtube :

i was wondering is that green glow really indicates that xrays is being produced ?!
becouse in my apparatus i think it might be the same glow , i tried to hold a neon indicator close to the bulb
the neon indicator was flashing 20cm away from the bulb ?!
and why xrays would produce such a glow ?!

I don't think you have x-rays being produced in your light bulb. It is unlikely that the gas pressure is low enough - 10-3 to 10-4 Torr is required for soft x-rays and your bulb is likely to have a gas fill at about 80% of atmospheric pressure. You can certainly get x-rays emitted from a television tube if your anode voltage is high enough, probably 30 kV or so would do it. Have a look at this link for more info

http://www.belljar.net/xray.htm

Regarding krypton filled bulbs, I believe the switch to krypton was to allow a higher filament temperature and hence greater luminous efficacy than could be achieved with argon or a vacuum.

1. What is fluorescence and how does it occur in glass molecules?

Fluorescence is the emission of light from a material after it has been exposed to and absorbed light of a certain wavelength. In glass molecules, the fluorescence occurs due to the absorption of light energy, which excites the electrons in the molecules and causes them to emit light as they return to their ground state.

2. Is fluorescence a common property of all glass molecules?

No, not all glass molecules exhibit fluorescence. It depends on the specific chemical composition and structure of the glass. Some glass molecules may have impurities or additives that can cause fluorescence, while others may not have the necessary properties to exhibit this phenomenon.

3. Can the intensity of fluorescence in glass molecules vary?

Yes, the intensity of fluorescence can vary depending on factors such as the type of light source used, the concentration of fluorescent molecules in the glass, and the temperature and pressure of the glass. Additionally, different glass compositions may exhibit different levels of fluorescence.

4. How is fluorescence of glass molecules different from other materials?

Fluorescence in glass molecules is different from other materials in that it is a very specific and controlled process. Unlike other materials, the fluorescence in glass molecules is caused by the absorption of light and the subsequent emission of light at a longer wavelength, rather than reflecting or scattering light at the same wavelength.

5. Can fluorescence in glass molecules be used for practical applications?

Yes, fluorescence in glass molecules has many practical applications, such as in fluorescent lighting, fluorescence microscopy, and in the production of optically active materials. It is also widely used in scientific research for studying the properties and behavior of different glass compositions.