Is this numerical techique for solving ODEs widely known?

In summary: The process dates back to about the 50s, but many more recent educational courses and resources do not mention it. This is not because of a lack of computing power in recent history, because I have been doing 32nd order simulations with 236 bit precision on a Raspberry Pi. However, the authors use a variety of (low order, approximated) methods to analyze a rather complex set of ODEs, but bemoan the dependence of its behaviour on simulation parameters e.g step size.For some values of b, the results depend drastically on the step-size, the initial conditions, and the numerical methods used. So, the available efficient numerical methods for ODEs, implemented in different software packages, might give
m4r35n357
Whilst studying symplectic integrators (as a hobby!) I accidentally stumbled on http://www.maia.ub.edu/~angel/taylor/taylor.pdf, which contains a link to GPL source code for the method described. I found it fascinating, especially since searching around the topic (Taylor Series Methods) revealed that outside the immediate field the method is seemingly ignored by a large part of the literature.

I have been tinkering with the sources and have generated some amazing plots with this, I hope it is interesting to at least one more person!

The process dates back to about the 50s I think, but many more recent educational courses and resources do not mention it. This is not because of a lack of computing power in recent history, because I have been doing 32nd order simulations with 236 bit precision on a Raspberry Pi . . .

Physics news on Phys.org
Bumping this because I have found what looks like a prime example of general unawareness here. The authors use a variety of (low order, approximated) methods to analyze a rather complex set of ODEs, but bemoan the dependence of its behaviour on simulation parameters e.g step size.

For some values of b, the results depend drastically on the step-size, the initial conditions, and the numerical methods used. So, the available efficient numerical methods for ODEs, implemented in different software packages, might give unexpectedly different results for the same parameter values and initial conditions, while fixed-step-size schemes (such as the standard Runge-Kutta method RK4, or the predictor-corrector LIL method (see Appendix and [Danca(2006)], utilized in this paper) generally give more accurate results, although in some cases these are strongly dependent on the step-sizes.

I am just beginning an investigation to attempt to reproduce the results therein, armed with an arbitrary order, arbitrary precision solver using exact derivatives (automatic differentiation). I can post my code here if my credentials are in doubt ;)

BTW if the term "clean numerical simulation" is unfamiliar, here is one of several papers by its main proponent.

Last edited:
Hmm, this rabbit hole gets deeper!

Whilst studying the paper in my previous post I stumbled across this one, which pretty much kills the "clean numerical simulation" idea IMO (gives the impression of being written in 2003, but contains references up to 2009, including a comment from Lorenz himself).

Related to Is this numerical techique for solving ODEs widely known?

1. What is a numerical technique for solving ODEs?

A numerical technique for solving ODEs (ordinary differential equations) is a mathematical method used to approximate the solution of an ODE. This is often necessary when an analytical solution cannot be found.

2. How does a numerical technique for solving ODEs work?

A numerical technique for solving ODEs typically involves breaking down the ODE into smaller, simpler equations that can be solved using mathematical algorithms. The solutions to these smaller equations are then combined to approximate the overall solution to the original ODE.

3. Is this numerical technique accurate?

The accuracy of a numerical technique for solving ODEs depends on the specific method used. Some methods may be more accurate than others, but all numerical techniques involve some degree of error due to the approximation process. It is important to carefully select and validate the method used for each specific ODE problem.

4. Is this numerical technique widely used?

Yes, numerical techniques for solving ODEs are widely used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and biology. They are especially useful when dealing with complex systems that cannot be easily solved analytically. There are many different numerical techniques available, each with its own strengths and applications.

5. How do I choose the right numerical technique for solving ODEs?

Choosing the right numerical technique for solving ODEs depends on factors such as the complexity of the ODE, the desired level of accuracy, and the available computational resources. It is important to understand the strengths and limitations of different methods and to consider the specific requirements of the problem at hand. Consulting with experts in the field can also help in selecting the most suitable numerical technique.