Is this question regarding insulation in a house correct?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the importance of proper attic insulation to regulate temperature in the house. It is mentioned that the attic will become hot in summer and cold in winter, and placing thick insulation on the attic floor will help reduce heat flow. It is also noted that insulation is especially important in the winter, when warm air rises and cold air accumulates near the ceiling.
Dreebs
Member advised to retain all sections of the formatting template.

Homework Statement

2. The attic of your house will be vented to the outside and neither heated nor cooled. It will become relatively hot in summer and cold in winter. You will therefore need to put thick insulation in the attic floor to reduce heat flow between the air below that floor and air above that floor. That attic insulation will be especially important during Select one:
a. the summer, when hot air will accumulate near the ceiling just below the attic and cold air will accumulate just above the attic floor.
b. the winter, when cold air will accumulate near the ceiling just below the attic and hot air will accumulate just above the attic floor.
c. the summer, when cold air will accumulate near the ceiling just below the attic and hot air will accumulate just above the attic floor.
d. the winter, when hot air will accumulate near the ceiling just below the attic and cold air will accumulate just above the attic floor. D, because warm air rises, so insulation in the ceiling would be most important in keeping out sinking cold air.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your answer and your reason, adding only that for a) I would be grateful for poor insulation if that situation occurred in summer

1. What is insulation and why is it important in a house?

Insulation is a material that is used to reduce the transfer of heat between the inside and outside of a house. It is important because it helps to keep the house at a comfortable temperature and can also save energy and lower utility costs.

2. How do I know if my house needs insulation?

If your house is consistently too hot in the summer or too cold in the winter, it may be a sign that you need more insulation. Other signs include high energy bills and drafts or cold spots in your home.

3. What are the different types of insulation?

There are several types of insulation, including fiberglass, cellulose, foam, and reflective insulation. Each type has its own benefits and disadvantages, and the best type for your house will depend on factors such as climate, budget, and the area in which the insulation will be installed.

4. Can I install insulation myself or do I need a professional?

While some types of insulation can be installed by homeowners, it is generally recommended to hire a professional to ensure proper installation. This is especially important for insulation in hard-to-reach areas or for certain types of insulation that require special equipment or techniques.

5. How much does insulation cost?

The cost of insulation can vary greatly depending on the type, quality, and amount needed for your house. On average, the cost can range from $1,500 to $5,000 for a typical home. However, keep in mind that investing in insulation can save you money in the long run by reducing energy costs.