Is time a consequence of 2nd law of thermodynamics?

In summary, time does not exist in a vacuum, and the most fundamental assumption about time is that it exists.
Ebi Rogha
TL;DR Summary
Does time exist independently or it is a consequence of 2nd law of thermodynamics (the arrow of time, entropy)?
I have heard from a knowledgeable physics proffessor, time exists independently and it is not a consequence of arrow of time. Could some body explain this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How do you distinguish these two cases ? May we prepare the world without 2nd law of thermodynamics to investigate it ?

Likes Chestermiller, Dale and FactChecker
How can you even state the 2nd law without already having a concept of time? It seems that the dimension must exist before laws can be stated that use it.

Likes aaroman
Ebi Rogha said:
Summary:: Does time exist independently or it is a consequence of 2nd law of thermodynamics (the arrow of time, entropy)?
I think it does. We have several theories of physics that have time besides the second law of thermodynamics.

In the physics of small systems we can see random fluctuations where the 2nd law is violated. Do time goes backward in those cases?

Last edited:
Likes DaveC426913 and Dale
andresB said:
In the physics of small systems we can see random fluctuations where the 2nd law is violated. Do time goes backwards in those cases?
No.

Ebi Rogha said:
Summary:: Does time exist independently or it is a consequence of 2nd law of thermodynamics (the arrow of time, entropy)?

Sir Arthur Stanley Eddington in “THE NATURE OF THE PHYSICAL WORLD” (Cambridge, At the University Press (1929)):

Without any mystic appeal to consciousness it is possible to find a direction of time on the four-dimensional map [space-time map, LJ] by a study of organization. Let us draw an arrow arbitrarily. If as we follow the arrow we find more and more of the random element in the state of the world, then the arrow is pointed towards the future; if the random element decreases, the arrow points towards the past. That is the only distinction known to physics. This follows at once if our fundamental contention is admitted that the introduction of randomness is the only thing which cannot be undone.

andresB said:
In the physics of small systems we can see random fluctuations where the 2nd law is violated. Do time goes backward in those cases?
Let's be very careful about using the word violated. The fluctuations for small systems are not violations of anything. They are the allowable random occupation of a small number available states. Time has to go forward to occupy those available states.

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
bob012345 said:
Let's be very careful about using the word violated. The fluctuations for small systems are not violations of anything.
I agree with @andresB word choice here. The 2nd law says entropy never decreases and indeed in small enough systems it has been observed to occasionally decrease. This is an observation which is contrary to what is predicted by the 2nd law, which is what is meant by “violation”.

Likes Motore
Dale said:
I agree with @andresB word choice here. The 2nd law says entropy never decreases and indeed in small enough systems it has been observed to occasionally decrease. This is an observation which is contrary to what is predicted by the 2nd law, which is what is meant by “violation”.
Ok, I'm a bit surprised though. Would you argue the ##2^{nd}## Law just doesn't apply for very small systems then?

bob012345 said:
Ok, I'm a bit surprised though. Would you argue the ##2^{nd}## Law just doesn't apply for very small systems then?
Yes, the domain of applicability for classical thermodynamics does not include such small systems. The fluctuation theorem is more general. It applies to such small systems and it reduces to the 2nd law of thermodynamics in the appropriate limit

Likes bob012345
Dale said:
Yes, the domain of applicability for classical thermodynamics does not include such small systems. The fluctuation theorem is more general. It applies to such small systems and it reduces to the 2nd law of thermodynamics in the appropriate limit
I see what you are saying. I had thought that since the ##2^{nd}## Law was statistical that possible violations for very small systems were always implied. But the Fluctuation Theorem removes ambiguity.

• Informative
Likes hutchphd
bob012345 said:
I see what you are saying. I had thought that since the ##2^{nd}## Law was statistical that possible violations for very small systems were always implied. But the Fluctuation Theorem removes ambiguity.
I agree with you that it was known to be statistical for a long time, so it is unsurprising that it fails for small systems. But the mathematical statement of the 2nd law of thermo is ##dS/dt\ge 0##, and there is no ambiguity that that statement does not hold for small systems over short times.

• Informative
Likes diogenesNY, bob012345 and hutchphd
Dale said:
I agree with you that it was known to be statistical for a long time, so it is unsurprising that it fails for small systems. But the mathematical statement of the 2nd law of thermo is ##dS/dt\ge 0##, and there is no ambiguity that that statement does not hold for small systems over short times.
I see. Thanks.

Dale said:
I think it does. We have several theories of physics that have time besides the second law of thermodynamics.
What, if any, would be considered the most fundamental? Also, do we have time to talk about time or is this not the right time?** Shamelessly borrowed from here;

bob012345 said:
What, if any, would be considered the most fundamental?
I don’t know how to objectively measure fundamentalness, but maybe relativity?

Likes bob012345
Ebi Rogha said:
I have heard from a knowledgeable physics proffessor, time exists independently and it is not a consequence of arrow of time. Could some body explain this?
Time exists in what we consider the fundamental laws of physics, eg. Newtonian mechanics, special relativity, and general relativity. Time is just a specific parameter in the equations. However, there is no direction of time in the sense that a glass dropping and breaking, and its time reversal in which the broken pieces fly up and reassemble into the glass, are both consistent with the fundamental laws of phsyics.

However, we do know that time has a direction in that the glass dropping and breaking is a more plausible physical situation than its time reverse. This is one arrow of time that is given by the second law of thermodynamics.

Another possible arrow of time is the expansion of the universe.

Here are is a discussion of how an arrow of time can arise, even though it is not present in the fundamental laws.

Likes Delta2 and Ebi Rogha

Related to Is time a consequence of 2nd law of thermodynamics?

1. What is the 2nd law of thermodynamics?

The 2nd law of thermodynamics states that in a closed system, the total entropy (or disorder) will always increase over time. This means that energy will naturally flow from areas of high concentration to areas of low concentration, resulting in a decrease in usable energy.

2. How does the 2nd law of thermodynamics relate to time?

The 2nd law of thermodynamics implies that time is a one-way process, as the increase in entropy can only occur in one direction. This means that time is constantly moving forward and cannot be reversed.

3. Is time a consequence of the 2nd law of thermodynamics?

While the 2nd law of thermodynamics does not directly create time, it does play a role in the perception of time. As entropy increases, the universe becomes more disordered and complex, leading to the perception of time passing.

4. Does the 2nd law of thermodynamics apply to all systems?

Yes, the 2nd law of thermodynamics applies to all closed systems, which are systems that do not exchange matter or energy with their surroundings. This includes the entire universe, making the 2nd law of thermodynamics a fundamental principle of nature.

5. Can the 2nd law of thermodynamics be violated?

No, the 2nd law of thermodynamics is a fundamental law of nature and has been consistently observed in all physical systems. While it may appear that entropy can decrease in certain situations, this is always accompanied by an increase in entropy elsewhere, maintaining the overall increase in entropy over time.