Is time continuous or discrete in quantum physics?

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of discrete and continuous time to plot fidelity for two quantum states. The speaker first used discrete time values, resulting in a constant fidelity of 1. When using a discrete set of values, the fidelity decreased and eventually became constant at 0 after a certain time. The teacher recommended using a continuous set of values instead.
deepalakshmi
TL;DR Summary
Is time continuous or discrete in quantum physics
I was working on plotting fidelity with time for two quantum states. First I used discrete time( t= 0,1,2,3...etc) to plot my fidelity. I got constant fidelity as 1 with continuous value of time. Next I used discrete set of values ( t=0 °,30 °,60 °,90 °). Here I saw my fidelity decreases and after a particular time it became constant (0). My teacher said that I should use continuous set of values. Why continuous rather than discrete?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The both you quote are discrete though I don' t know their units of time, including angle with which I am not familiar. I am afraid you take your teachers advice in a wrong manner.

Likes deepalakshmi
In standard QT time is a continuous real parameter (NOT an observable).

1. Is time continuous or discrete in quantum physics?

In quantum physics, time is considered to be continuous rather than discrete. This means that time is viewed as a smooth and continuous flow, rather than being broken up into separate and distinct units.

2. How does the concept of time in quantum physics differ from classical physics?

In classical physics, time is viewed as a constant and absolute quantity that is independent of the observer. However, in quantum physics, time is relative and can be affected by factors such as gravity and the speed of an object.

3. Can time be measured in quantum physics?

Yes, time can be measured in quantum physics. However, due to the uncertainty principle, there is a limit to how accurately time can be measured. This is because the act of measuring time itself can affect the outcome of a quantum experiment.

4. Does time behave differently on a quantum level compared to a macroscopic level?

Yes, time behaves differently on a quantum level compared to a macroscopic level. In quantum physics, time is seen as a fundamental aspect of the universe and is intertwined with other fundamental concepts such as space and energy. This is different from classical physics, where time is seen as a separate and independent entity.

5. Is the concept of time in quantum physics still being studied and debated?

Yes, the concept of time in quantum physics is still an area of active research and debate. While there are currently theories and models that attempt to explain the nature of time in quantum physics, there is still much to be explored and understood about this fundamental aspect of the universe.