Is total flux linkage λ=dΨ*Ienclosed/I or λ=N*Ψ?

In summary, in the conversation, the formula dλ=dΨ * Ienclosed/I was discussed for determining total flux linkage in a coaxial cable for ρ<a and a<ρ<b. However, when applied to a solenoid, this formula did not work and instead, the formula λ=N*Ψ was found to be effective. The question of why Ienclosed/I is multiplied in the coaxial cable was also raised, but without further context or definition of symbols, the purpose of this calculation is unclear.
ElieMakdissi
TL;DR Summary
I don't understand why we multiply by Ienclosed/I the total flux linkage
In Sadiku, he used the formula dλ=dΨ * Ienclosed/I
to determine the total flux linkage for coaxial cable for ρ<a and for a<ρ<b, but I applied this formula for the solenoid and it didn't work, the way that works for the solenoid is by using λ=N*Ψ.

So why we multiply by Ienclosed/I in the coaxial cable?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Without context and even a definition of your symbols I have no clue what you are talking about. E.g., are you looking at the coax cable from the point of view of the "telegrapher's equation", which is a quasistationary approximation, or the full wave-guide theory a la Maxwell and Hertz? What's ##\Psi##?

IMG_20230527_160545.jpg

1. What is total flux linkage?

Total flux linkage is a measure of the total magnetic flux that passes through a closed loop or surface. It takes into account both the strength of the magnetic field and the area enclosed by the loop or surface.

2. What is the equation for total flux linkage?

The equation for total flux linkage is λ = N*Ψ, where N is the number of turns in the loop or the number of surfaces enclosed and Ψ is the magnetic flux passing through each turn or surface.

3. Is total flux linkage equal to the product of dΨ*Ienclosed/I?

Yes, total flux linkage can also be calculated using the equation λ = dΨ*Ienclosed/I, where dΨ is the change in magnetic flux, Ienclosed is the current enclosed by the loop, and I is the current through the loop.

4. How is total flux linkage related to Faraday's law?

Total flux linkage is directly related to Faraday's law, which states that the induced electromotive force (EMF) in a closed loop is equal to the negative rate of change of magnetic flux through the loop. In other words, the EMF is proportional to the total flux linkage.

5. What factors affect total flux linkage?

Total flux linkage is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the area enclosed by the loop or surface, and the number of turns or surfaces enclosed. It is also affected by the orientation of the loop or surface with respect to the magnetic field and the rate at which the magnetic field changes.