Is Travel to Parallel Universes Just a Myth or a Real Possibility?

In summary, the conversation is about the possibility of traveling to parallel universes and whether or not it violates the laws of conservation of energy, mass, and information. It is noted that this topic is often overly simplified on television shows such as History Channel, Discovery, and Discovery Science. The conversation also touches on the credibility of the scientists featured in these shows and the lack of explanation for the complications of conservation laws. Ultimately, it is stated that the concept of parallel universes is purely hypothetical and a matter of speculation.
earamsey
I was watching a show called "http://www.history.com/shows.do?action=detail&episodeId=373152" " on History Channel. It is claimed that someday it may be possible to travel to parallel universes. Does this not violate law of conservation of energy, mass and information? Would this action essentially be subtracting mass, destroying, from this universe and, adding, creating mass, in another? Also, once information left this universe, there would be no way to reconstruct it -- Information is Lost. I know how hard "Mr. Leonard Susskind Ph.D." argued against such phenomena with "Mr. Stephen Hawking Ph.D." on this.

Is it a case of overly simplifying the subjecvt to the point that it doesn't make any sense; as per usual on History, Discovery and Discovery Science Channels? Or am I in error and there is no conservation issue related to traveling to parallel universes (and say the traveller died there and did not return?)

Would the conversation be shared between the universes? Should Conversation be extended to parallel universes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
earamsey said:
Is it a case of overly simplifying to point that it doesn't make any sense; as per usual on History, Discovery and Discovery Science Channels?
It's more a case of wild speculation.

The laws of conservation really only apply to the universe as we understand it. Speculate beyond that and you'll be writing new rules as you go.

earamsey said:
It is claimed that someday it may be possible to travel to parallel universes. Does this not violate law of conservation of energy, mass and information?
I like the FAQ http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/energy_gr.html" . It does a good job of treating a very complicated subject at a fairly basic level.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC426913 said:
It's more a case of wild speculation.

The laws of conservation really only apply to the universe as we understand it. Speculate beyond that and you'll be writing new rules as you go.
So, are you saying that travel to Parallel Universes may be highly unlikely because they violate conservation laws? I would feel better if this is the case else they appear to rewriting the rules.

Should I complain about this show because i feel it is presenting incredulous information. There was no attempt to explain complications of conversavation laws. I once thought the scientists in this series were high knowledgeable but now I don't know. Or perhaps they feel they can get away with fairy tales because they feel the general public is dumb. I wish a bunch of ppl would write them about this I like to watch science documentaries but this was more sci fi. I truly loved "The Elegant Universe" series on nova they explained the gotchas and talked to viewers as if they had at least a moist green pea for a brain. :(

Last edited:
earamsey said:
So, are you saying that travel to Parallel Universes may be highly unlikely because they violate conservation laws?
No, I'm saying that travel to Parallel Universes may be highly unlikely because they don't currently exist; they are purely hypothetical - a matter of complete speculation.

earamsey said:
I would feel better if this is the case else they appear to rewriting the rules. Should I complain about this show because i feel it is spreading information as without regards to basics and renders the entire episode and perhaps even the physicists in it incredulous :(
That's pop TV for ya. Welcome to the 21st century. I weep for the future.

P.S. you mean 'incredible'. 'Incredulous' is a human reaction.

What is a parallel universe?

A parallel universe is a theoretical concept in which there exist multiple universes that are similar to our own but may have slight variations. These universes are believed to exist alongside our own, but in a different dimension or reality.

Is it possible to travel to a parallel universe?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence or technology that suggests it is possible to physically travel to a parallel universe. The concept of traveling to parallel universes is mainly explored in science fiction and remains a topic of speculation and theoretical study in the scientific community.

How do scientists study parallel universes?

Scientists study the concept of parallel universes through theoretical physics and mathematics. They use complex theories such as quantum mechanics, string theory, and the multiverse theory to explore the possibility of parallel universes and their potential characteristics.

What are the potential implications of parallel universes?

The idea of parallel universes raises many philosophical and ethical questions. It challenges our understanding of reality and the nature of existence. It also brings up questions about the concept of free will and the possibility of multiple versions of ourselves existing in different universes.

Can we observe or detect parallel universes?

Currently, there is no scientific method or technology that allows us to observe or detect parallel universes. However, some scientists believe that changes in the cosmic microwave background radiation or gravitational waves could potentially provide evidence for the existence of parallel universes. These theories are still being researched and remain highly speculative.