Is Triviality the Same as Intuition?

• MHB
  • Thread starter highmath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Intuition
In summary, the terms "triviality" and "intuition" are not interchangeable or synonymous. In mathematics, "triviality" refers to the simplest possible mathematical structure, while "intuition" is a tool that can aid in finding solutions but cannot be used to prove anything. The use of "trivial" to describe a proof does not imply a lack of intelligence, but rather that the proof follows directly from the definition. However, this term is often misused to make a statement seem more impressive.
highmath
If I say that something has triviality context, can I say that something is intuition?

Is Triviality = intuition?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally speaking, I certainly would not say the two terms are interchangeable, or synonymous.

highmath said:
If I say that something has triviality context, can I say that something is intuition?

Is Triviality = intuition?!

In math we cannot prove anything with intuition. At best it can help us to find the way.

The word 'trivial' is actually a jargon word with a specific meaning.
It means the simplest possible mathematical structure.
As an example the 'trivial' real function is the function that maps all real numbers to zero.
In the same fashion, the 'trivial' solution of the differential equation $y'=y$ is $y=0$.

Long story short, triviality and intuition have nothing to do with each other.

MarkFL said:
Generally speaking, I certainly would not say the two terms are interchangeable, or synonymous.

I very much second that.

To me, the Jordan Curve Theorem is a striking example of an intuitive result with a proof that I find non-trivial.

Janssens said:
I very much second that.

To me, the Jordan Curve Theorem is a striking example of an intuitive result with a proof that I find non-trivial.

I think that merely means that it does not follow directly from the definition, which would otherwise be the simplest possible mathematical proof.
Put differently, if a proper mathematician writes that something follows trivially, it isn't meant to be condescending, it means that it follows from the definition. If it does not, it is not trivial, and is likely introduced by lack of understanding, laziness, or a mistaken sense of superiority. ;)

Perhaps the more one knows more things become trivial. Perhaps the more one knows the greater becomes one's intuition.

Klaas van Aarsen said:
In math we cannot prove anything with intuition. At best it can help us to find the way.

The word 'trivial' is actually a jargon word with a specific meaning.
It means the simplest possible mathematical structure.
As an example the 'trivial' real function is the function that maps all real numbers to zero.
In the same fashion, the 'trivial' solution of the differential equation $y'=y$ is $y=0$.

Long story short, triviality and intuition have nothing to do with each other.

Can you exaplain to me the underline text?
Can you me more examples to more thing like the underline text? (If I can understand your exaplanation , Thanks...).

Klaas van Aarsen said:
I think that merely means that it does not follow directly from the definition, which would otherwise be the simplest possible mathematical proof.
I would say that all theorems follow from definition. The question is how directly. I think in most cases of trivial proofs the statement nevertheless does not follow from the definition using one or two inference rules of formal logic. It may take, I would guess, a couple dozen steps, such as breaking conjunctions, instantiating quantifiers, forming contrapositions and so on, and still many would call a proof "trivial". And the smarter a person is, the longer proofs he or she finds trivial.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
And the smarter a person is, the longer proofs he or she finds trivial.

This may also explain why the term "trivial" is abused by some (not those present in this topic): For the purpose of impression, they love to strongly state how they find something "trivial", even when it really isn't that trivial. (At least, not in the minds of their students, readers or colleagues.)

highmath said:
Can you exaplain to me the underline text?
Can you me more examples to more thing like the underline text? (If I can understand your exaplanation , Thanks...).

Not sure what you're looking for, so let me give a reference to an example:
https://proofwiki.org/wiki/Definition:Zero_Homomorphism

1. What is the difference between triviality and intuition?

Triviality refers to something that is insignificant or unimportant, while intuition refers to a person's ability to understand or know something without conscious reasoning. In other words, triviality is a lack of importance, whereas intuition is a way of knowing.

2. How can triviality and intuition be applied in scientific research?

In scientific research, triviality can be used to determine which factors or variables are not relevant to the study and can be excluded. Intuition, on the other hand, can be used to guide the researcher's understanding and interpretation of the data and to generate new hypotheses or ideas.

3. Can triviality and intuition be balanced in scientific research?

Yes, it is important for scientists to find a balance between triviality and intuition. While triviality helps to filter out irrelevant information, intuition can lead to new discoveries and breakthroughs. Both are necessary for a well-rounded and comprehensive scientific approach.

4. How can one improve their intuition in scientific research?

Intuition is often developed through experience and practice. Scientists can improve their intuition by constantly questioning their assumptions, being open to new ideas and perspectives, and actively seeking out new knowledge and information.

5. What are some potential pitfalls of relying too heavily on intuition in scientific research?

Relying too heavily on intuition in scientific research can lead to biased or subjective interpretations and conclusions. It is important for scientists to balance intuition with empirical evidence and critical thinking to ensure the validity and reliability of their findings.