Is Turtle a Module or Library in Python?

In summary, a module is a single file with a specific functionality, whereas a library contains multiple files, i.e. multiple modules. A package contains multiple libraries?No. A package is a collection of modules organized in a particular way, usually because all of the modules work together to provide a particular functionality.The term "library" does not have a specific definition in the Python specifications; it's just used informally to describe common code that is used by multiple applications, and such code can be in a single module or it can be in a package.Is the command import used exclusively for modules?The result of an import command is to load a particular module into the interpreter, but that module can be either a stand-alone module or
fog37
TL;DR Summary
module/library difference
Hello,
I am trying to fully understand the difference between module, library, and package in Python.

I think a module is a single file with a specific functionality.
A library is like a directory: it contains multiple files, i.e. multiple modules.
A package contains multiple libraries and sub-packages.

For example, is the graphic program Turtle a library or a module? The command import is used to import Turtle into the Python program. Is the command import used exclusively for modules?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
fog37 said:
I think a module is a single file with a specific functionality

That's the usual usage, yes.

fog37 said:
whereas a library contains multiple files, i.e. multiple modules. And a package contains multiple libraries?

No. A package is a collection of modules organized in a particular way, usually because all of the modules work together to provide a particular functionality.

The term "library" does not have a specific definition in the Python specifications; it's just used informally to describe common code that is used by multiple applications, and such code can be in a single module or it can be in a package.

fog37 said:
Is the command import used exclusively for modules?

The result of an import command is to load a particular module into the interpreter, but that module can be either a stand-alone module or a module that is part of a package.

A good reference is Python's import system documentation:

https://docs.python.org/3/reference/import.html
fog37 said:
is the graphic program Turtle a library or a module?

It's both. It's a module because that's how it's shipped, as a single turtle.py file. It's also a library because it is common code that can be used by multiple applications. It can also be considered part of the Python standard library, which is a collection of both modules and packages that provides a lot of standardized functionality for common use (as part of Python's "batteries included" philosophy).

If you want to do a quick test for a particular module to see whether it's part of a package, check out this interactive session at the Python interpreter:

Python:
Python 3.5.2 (default, Jul 10 2019, 11:58:48)
[GCC 5.4.0 20160609] on linux
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import turtle
>>> turtle.__name__
'turtle'
>>> turtle.__package__
''

By contrast, here is a module that is part of a package:

Python:
Python 3.5.2 (default, Jul 10 2019, 11:58:48)
[GCC 5.4.0 20160609] on linux
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> from http import server
>>> server.__name__
'http.server'
>>> server.__package__
'http'

Likes jedishrfu and fog37
Thanks, as usual.

1. Is Turtle a module or library in Python?

Turtle is a module in Python. Modules are pre-written code libraries that contain various functions and data that can be used in a Python program. Libraries, on the other hand, are collections of modules.

2. What is Turtle used for in Python?

Turtle is used for creating graphics and animations in Python. It provides a simple and intuitive way to draw and manipulate shapes and colors on a canvas. It is often used in introductory programming courses to teach students about basic coding concepts.

3. How do I import the Turtle module in Python?

To import the Turtle module in Python, you can use the import statement followed by the name of the module. For example, import turtle. This will make all the functions and data in the Turtle module available for use in your program.

4. Can I use Turtle in both Python 2 and Python 3?

Yes, Turtle is compatible with both Python 2 and Python 3. However, there are some slight differences in syntax between the two versions, so make sure to check the documentation for the version you are using.

5. Are there any alternatives to Turtle in Python?

Yes, there are other modules and libraries in Python that can be used for creating graphics and animations. Some popular alternatives to Turtle include Pygame, Pyglet, and Pycairo. Each of these libraries has its own unique features and may be more suitable for certain projects.