Is USC a reputable graduate school for HEP Theory?

• Thread starter h0dgey84bc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    General
In summary, the speaker has received an acceptance from USC HEP Theory and is still waiting for responses from UCSD and UCLA. They have mixed feelings about USC, as it was a safety school and they wonder if they are selling themselves short. The speaker is an international student and is excited about the prospect of living in LA, but also worries about their low PGRE score hindering their chances at top 20 schools. They ask for information about USC's reputation and how it compares to other UK universities such as Durham or Edinburgh.
h0dgey84bc
Hi,

So far USC HEP Theory is my only definite acceptance(I'm still hanging out for UCSD/UCLA, but since it looks like the first wave as hit, I guess I'm not holding my breath). I don't really know as much as I should about this place as it was my safety more than anything else. I have mixed feeling about it at the moment, I'm an international student(from the UK) and am quite excited at the prospect of moving to LA, and in general about being able to live in another country for a few years etc. But part of me is thinking am I selling myself short, I have a high GPA,and came in the top few of my year at uni, have a masters, and a pub etc, but only an 830 PGRE, which apparently is pretty low compared to most internationals, and has perhaps hindered me. I didnt expect to be going to Harvard or anything, but I thought a top 20 school was within my reach (I'd be very happy with UCLA/UCSD)

So my question is what is the feeling about USC, is it a respectable place to go to gradschool? Any other info about USC or it's perception, much appreciated

(I'm not sure if anyone here will have the knowledge to answer my next question, but how does it compare to a non Cambridge/Oxford UK place, say Durham or Edinburgh?)

Physics news on Phys.org
I would rank USC in maybe the second quartiles of graduate schools. If I had a choice between Durham and USC, I would pick Durham.

I understand your concerns about choosing a graduate school and the weight that reputation and perception can have on your decision. USC, or the University of Southern California, is a well-respected institution in the United States, particularly in the fields of business, engineering, and film. In terms of its HEP Theory program, USC has a strong faculty and research opportunities. However, as with any graduate program, it's important to do your own research and determine if the program aligns with your academic and career goals. USC may not have the same name recognition as some other top schools, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not a good fit for you. Ultimately, the most important factor is finding a program that will provide you with the resources and opportunities to excel in your field and achieve your goals. As for comparisons to UK universities, it's difficult to make a direct comparison as each institution has its own strengths and areas of expertise. I suggest reaching out to current or former students at USC or other UK universities to get a better understanding of the academic environment and potential opportunities. Best of luck with your decision!

Related to Is USC a reputable graduate school for HEP Theory?

1. What is the overall reputation of USC?

The University of Southern California (USC) is highly regarded for its academic excellence, prestigious programs, and strong alumni network. It is consistently ranked as one of the top universities in the United States.

2. What is the student life like at USC?

USC has a vibrant and diverse student body, with over 300 student organizations and clubs that cater to a variety of interests. The campus offers a range of activities and events, making it easy for students to get involved and find their community.

3. How is the faculty at USC?

The faculty at USC is known for their expertise and dedication to teaching. They are highly qualified and often have industry experience, providing students with valuable insights and connections. The small student-to-faculty ratio allows for personalized attention and mentorship.

4. What are the academic programs like at USC?

USC offers over 150 undergraduate majors and minors, as well as numerous graduate and professional programs. The university is known for its strong programs in business, engineering, and film. Students have the opportunity to customize their education through interdisciplinary studies and double majors.

5. What is the campus and location like?

The USC campus is located in Los Angeles, California, providing students with access to a vibrant city and numerous career opportunities. The campus itself is well-maintained and offers a mix of historic and modern architecture. It also has a variety of amenities, including libraries, fitness centers, and dining options.