Is Wikipedia a reliable reference for the physics student?

Wikipedia gave me four translations, three of them useful.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Wikipedia as a source for physics information. While some teachers and professors discourage its use, the speaker believes it can be a good starting point for students, particularly for mainstream science topics. They also mention that the reliability of Wikipedia can vary and suggest using the links provided for further study. The speaker also mentions the usefulness of the multi-language feature and translations for technical terms.
KurtLudwig
In the past, many others have asked this same question. Some teachers and professors have discouraged using Wikipedia. Articles in Wikipedia are followed by a list of books and references for further study. Except for string theory and loop quantum gravity theory, physics is less "political" than other areas of study, such as history, biography and music. I tend to believe that Wikipedia is a good starting source for the student of physics. Please comment.
KurtLudwig

Physics news on Phys.org
I find the articles to be pretty readable once you're far enough into the classes that you're familiar with basic terms and stuff.

It's spotty. I've seen knowledgeable folks here on PF comment on specific articles (generally somewhat advanced topics) that they say are really awful, but I think it's a good resource for most stuff, you just have to take it with a grain of salt.

KurtLudwig said:
In the past, many others have asked this same question. Some teachers and professors have discouraged using Wikipedia. Articles in Wikipedia are followed by a list of books and references for further study. Except for string theory and loop quantum gravity theory, physics is less "political" than other areas of study, such as history, biography and music. I tend to believe that Wikipedia is a good starting source for the student of physics. Please comment.
KurtLudwig
I share this opinion. The closer a subject is to mainstream science, the more reliable is Wikipedia. I often use it to look up definitions or the basics. If you want to get more and deeper information, the links on Wikipedia are a good source, or the technical terms to search the internet. If in doubt, I'm looking for university pages: lecture notes, seminar notes etc. There are also some nuances which might not always be true. I've recently read here on PF the distinction between a ring and a pseudo-ring. A notion I've never heard of before and I would never make. It is likely, that similar issues can be found on Wikipedia. What I like about it is the possibility to switch languages. You can often find different entries on different language pages. e.g proofs, formulas. Especially formulas don't depend a lot on the language. If someone has proven the value of a given series, I don't care in which language it is done. I also use it a lot for translations. The technical terms are far better translated on Wikipedia than in dictionaries: look up the term you know (work (physics)) and then switch to the language (espanol) you want to translate it to (trabajo (física)). The dictionary gave me ten possible translations.

Last edited:
Likes newbz and OmCheeto

1. Is Wikipedia a reliable source for physics information?

While Wikipedia can be a helpful starting point for research, it is not considered a reliable source for academic work. This is because anyone can edit Wikipedia articles, which can lead to inaccuracies or biased information. It is always best to use more reputable sources for physics information, such as peer-reviewed journals or textbooks.

2. Can I trust the information on Wikipedia for my physics studies?

As mentioned before, Wikipedia is not considered a reliable source for academic work. This is because the content is not always fact-checked and can be edited by anyone. It is always best to use multiple sources and cross-reference information found on Wikipedia.

3. Are there any benefits to using Wikipedia for physics research?

While there are concerns about the reliability of Wikipedia, it can still be a useful tool for gathering general information and understanding concepts. However, it should not be used as a sole source for academic work.

4. How can I use Wikipedia effectively for my physics studies?

If you do choose to use Wikipedia for research, it is important to critically evaluate the information and cross-reference it with other sources. You can also check the citations and sources listed at the bottom of the article for more reliable information.

5. Are there any alternatives to using Wikipedia for physics information?

Yes, there are plenty of alternatives to Wikipedia for physics information. Some reliable sources include peer-reviewed journals, textbooks, and websites from reputable organizations or institutions. Your school or university may also have access to online databases with reliable physics information.