Isn't wholesale what they would pay for it?

• Thread starter JT Smith
  • Start date
In summary: Walmart because it has to pay for trucking and other overheads that Walmart can avoid.The family store charged you the wholesale price for the items you bought, which is what they would pay for the item if they bought it in bulk.
JT Smith
I asked a small, local, family run market to order a bunch of bottles of a food item that they don't stock. They are nice people and were happy to do it. When I went to pick them up I discovered that they charged me the wholesale price. Isn't wholesale what they would pay for it? Did they do this for free or do they pay below wholesale?

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you know what wholesale was and what they paid?

The reason I ask is because - it seems to me - the only way you'd know is if they told you, and that one number would have been expressed in terms of the other.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
JT Smith said:
I asked a small, local, family run market to order a bunch of bottles of a food item that they don't stock. They are nice people and were happy to do it. When I went to pick them up I discovered that they charged me the wholesale price. Isn't wholesale what they would pay for it? Did they do this for free or do they pay below wholesale?
My relevant experience derives from restaurants that also sell bulk foods. My late wife might order and sell special or bulk items at cost usually to regular customers. She more than reconciled this expense by the extra guests (good will) referred by the satisfied customer.

One of her sayings applies to bottled drinkable items. Most food items are actual 'loss leaders'. Steady income derives from beverage sales whether by the glass, pitcher or bottle.

Likes russ_watters
The receipt had "WHOLESALE" printed next to the items I ordered. I don't know if it was really wholesale. I don't know wholesale really means. I do know that it was well below the typical retail price.

I searched online last night and found the same thing at Walmart for essentially the same price I paid. Actually it was a minuscule amount less. I doubt Walmart is giving it away, particularly since they also offered free shipping. So it seems reasonable and not too surprising that there must be profit built into what my local place is calling wholesale.

Likes Klystron
It's probably impossible to know. There isn't a single wholesale price that everyone pays.

If you're concerned and want to offer them a reasonable profit, ask them.

Likes Klystron and Vanadium 50
I'm not concerned. Just curious. I probably will ask them. Given the quality and proximity of their little store they will continue to have my business regardless.

They are very nice people. I recently got jacked by a garage door repairman who lied to my face and WAY overcharged me. I shouldn't have let him do that but I was kind of in a bind. Unscrupulous, sleazy little man. The grocery folks restored my faith in people. Some people are good.

Likes BillTre
JT Smith said:
The grocery folks restored my faith in people. Some people are good.
Concur. Before supermarkets, grocer's formed the backbone of local community, supplying vital foodstuffs at reasonable prices that kept people alive. Local supermarkets and farmers' markets sometimes keep this tradition alive with a mission to feed people on budgets.

My late wife became known among the local homeless for donating hot meals to poor people who came to her back door even after she sold her restaurants and retired.

JT Smith said:
So it seems reasonable and not too surprising that there must be profit built into what my local place is calling wholesale
They trusted you to come back and pay for the stuff they ordered for you, and they showed you the receipt on what they had to dish out of their pocket ahead of time.
JT Smith said:
The grocery folks restored my faith in people. Some people are good.
Maybe you gave them faith in return.Walmart buys in large bulk quantities, not 2 or 3 items at a time.
Your family store encounters a higher distribution cost

1. What does "wholesale" mean?

Wholesale refers to the price that retailers or businesses pay for goods in bulk from manufacturers or distributors. It is typically lower than the retail price.

2. How is wholesale different from retail?

Wholesale involves buying goods in large quantities at a discounted price, while retail involves selling those goods at a higher price to individual consumers.

3. Is wholesale the same as the cost of production?

No, wholesale and production costs are different. Wholesale prices include not only the cost of production, but also other expenses such as packaging, shipping, and marketing.

4. Can anyone buy wholesale products?

Wholesale products are typically only available to businesses or individuals with a valid resale license. This is to ensure that the products are being sold to end consumers at a retail price.

5. How do businesses determine the wholesale price of a product?

Wholesale prices are determined by various factors such as the cost of production, demand, competition, and desired profit margin. It is important for businesses to carefully consider these factors in order to set a competitive and profitable wholesale price.