Isolate Antenna to Reduce Noise and Headaches

• Thread starter dorts
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker noise caused by the wireless network card can be resolved by checking and possibly replacing the connectors and cables, or using twisted pairs for the speaker wires. Making shields to shape the radio signals is not recommended. Additionally, the recent headaches experienced while using the computer may be caused by electromagnetic waves from the wireless network.
dorts
I bought a wireless network card a month ago so other computer users at home could access the Internet using laptops via ad hoc and everything works well except one thing. When data is being transferred through the wireless network, there appears an annoying noise in the speakers that is way too louder than the usual noise due to specifics of the electronics. By closing the wireless connection disturbing pops and shwags disappears. I have noticed that by higher wireless transfer speed the noise is louder and moving the attachable antenna closer to the speaker set it increases. Unfortunately I cannot move the antenna far from the speakers, because the cable is apx. 50 cm long and was wondering if there would be a way to isolate the antenna so it could radiate in one direction. Another problem is that I recently (last two or 3 weeks) have very bad headache when working at the computer that normally never had. My guess is that the headache is also caused by electromagnetic waves similarly as noise in the speakers.

If someone knows a solution to the problem, please post it. Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is surprising because FCC rules for EMI (electro magnetic interference) for consumer items are pretty strict. That suggests that something is wrong because you are getting not minor EMI, but major. Check the connectors and the cables, both for the digital and the speakers they are the most likely source of trouble.

Another easy remedy is to use twisted pairs for the speaker wires, rather than just straight pairs. You can twist the existing wires, you don't need new ones.

Yes you can make shields that try to shape the radio signals, but I don't recommend it.

1. What is an isolate antenna?

An isolate antenna is a type of antenna that is designed to reduce noise and headaches by isolating the desired signal from unwanted electromagnetic interference (EMI).

2. How does an isolate antenna reduce noise and headaches?

Isolate antennas use various techniques such as shielding, filtering, and directional focusing to block or minimize the effects of EMI, which can cause headaches and other health issues. By isolating the desired signal, these antennas can improve signal quality and reduce the amount of disruptive noise.

3. Where can an isolate antenna be used?

Isolate antennas are commonly used in electronic devices and systems that require a strong and clear signal, such as cell phones, radios, and Wi-Fi routers. They can also be used in industrial and medical equipment to reduce interference and improve signal accuracy.

4. Are there any potential side effects of using an isolate antenna?

While isolate antennas are designed to reduce noise and headaches, they may not be suitable for everyone. Some people may experience discomfort or other health issues due to electromagnetic radiation, which can still be present even with an isolate antenna. It is important to consult with a medical professional if you have any concerns.

5. Can an isolate antenna completely eliminate all noise and headaches?

While isolate antennas can significantly reduce noise and interference, they may not completely eliminate all sources of noise. Environmental factors, such as nearby electronic devices, can still cause interference. Additionally, some people may be more sensitive to electromagnetic radiation and may still experience headaches despite using an isolate antenna.