Isomers of tert-butylnitrobenzene

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter i_love_science
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isomers
In summary, the para and meta resonance structures were created by electron transfer between the nitrating agent and benzene, and the ortho isomer is stabilized in the same way as the para isomer. The mechanism for nitration of benzene without the tert-butyl group is unknown, but it is thought to involve the production of the electrophilic NO2+ ion. trifluoroacetic acid is a weaker acid than nitric, but in a non-aqueous solution because of the presence of methylene dichloride.
i_love_science
Homework Statement
question attached below
Relevant Equations
resonance structures
Question:
Question.png

Answer:
Solution.png

I don't understand how the para and meta resonance structures were created (what the electron transfer was). Also, why is the ortho isomer stabilized in the same way as the para isomer? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you write out the mechanism for nitration of benzene without the tert-butyl group? It's enough to be able to write out the first step of nitronium addition.

This nitration agent appears to be a way of producing the electrophilic NO2+ , does that help answer your first question?

That said, it is not the classical nitrating agent in all textbooks which is sulphuric/nitric acid mixture. In this mixture the stronger sulphuric acid superprotonates the weaker nitric and then dehydrates it to produce the said NO2+ (nitrosylate) ion. See e,g, https://chem.libretexts.org/Bookshe...f_Arenes/Nitration_and_Sulfonation_of_Benzene
I have not myself (not a chemist) heard that I remember your cited nitrating agent. (Googling a bit it is not something that hit me in the eye, in fact I found no trace of it). I do not know what its advantages are, just conjecture that it minimises dinitration.I am perplexed by the fact that trifluoroacetic acid is a weaker acid than nitric. But then it looks that this is all in a non-aqueous solution (methylene dichloride). So I'm not answering for you, which we don't do here anyway, but hopefully you are now primed to find answers in your up-to-date textbook or recall something explained in your lectures.You would up your standing here if you brought back anything you find out resolving the incompleteness and perplexities above!

Likewise priming you, I suggest you draw out the resonant structures you can achieve with -C(NO2)HC- in the three positions (include explicitly all the H atoms) and if you then do not see an answer to your second question show them to us and we will see if we agree.

Last edited:
Likes i_love_science

1. What are isomers of tert-butylnitrobenzene?

Isomers of tert-butylnitrobenzene are compounds that have the same molecular formula (C10H13NO2) but different structural arrangements of atoms.

2. How many isomers of tert-butylnitrobenzene are there?

There are three isomers of tert-butylnitrobenzene: ortho, meta, and para. These isomers differ in the placement of the tert-butyl group and the nitro group on the benzene ring.

3. What is the difference between ortho, meta, and para isomers of tert-butylnitrobenzene?

The ortho isomer has the tert-butyl group and the nitro group in adjacent positions on the benzene ring. The meta isomer has the tert-butyl group and the nitro group in positions that are separated by one carbon atom on the benzene ring. The para isomer has the tert-butyl group and the nitro group in positions that are directly opposite each other on the benzene ring.

4. How do the isomers of tert-butylnitrobenzene differ in terms of physical properties?

The isomers of tert-butylnitrobenzene have different boiling points, melting points, and solubility in various solvents due to their different molecular structures. The ortho isomer has the highest boiling point and melting point, while the para isomer has the lowest solubility in polar solvents.

5. What are some applications of isomers of tert-butylnitrobenzene?

Isomers of tert-butylnitrobenzene are used as intermediates in the production of various chemicals, such as dyes, pharmaceuticals, and pesticides. They are also used in organic synthesis reactions to introduce the tert-butyl group or the nitro group into other compounds.