Isothermic and adiabatic compression

In summary, in Case 1, the work done is equal to the initial pressure multiplied by the initial temperature divided by the initial volume. In the adiabatic case, the work done is equal to the initial pressure multiplied by the initial temperature divided by the initial volume. The ratio of the work done in the two cases is the same.
mk9898

Homework Statement

Determine the ratio of the work that you must expend when a single-atom ideal Gas once isothermic and once adiabatic to 1/10 of its original volume is compressed. In both cases the initial pressure, initial volume and gas amount are all equal.

The Attempt at a Solution

Case 1: Isotherm --> ##\triangle Q = W##
(saving derivation) ##Q = RTln(10)##

Case 2: Adiabatic: --> ##\frac{fNk\triangle T}{2T}= \frac{-NkdV}{V}##

##\frac{f}{2}lnT + ln(10) = constant##

Physics news on Phys.org
mk9898 said:

Homework Statement

Determine the ratio of the work that you must expend when a single-atom ideal Gas once isothermic and once adiabatic to 1/10 of its original volume is compressed. In both cases the initial pressure, initial volume and gas amount are all equal.

The Attempt at a Solution

Case 1: Isotherm --> ##\triangle Q = W##
(saving derivation) ##Q = RTln(10)##
Ok.

Case 2: Adiabatic: --> ##\frac{fNk\triangle T}{2T}= \frac{-NkdV}{V}##

##\frac{f}{2}lnT + ln(10) = constant##
You will have to explain your thinking there. What is "f"? What is the formula you are using for adiabatic work? Start with:
[tex]W = \int_{V_0}^{V_f} PdV[/tex]

Likes mk9898
Case 1. Isothermal compression, pV = con, Wk = ∫ p dV, Case 2. Adiabatic compression, p(V)^γ = con, γ = c(p)/c(V), Wk = ∫ p dV

Thanks for the replies.

Case 2: ##W=-\triangle U##
##\triangle U =nC_v(T_2-T_1) ## ##(C_v## is with the mole of the gas)
Therefore ##W = nC_v(T_1-T_2)##>0

Now I'm scratching my head at the next step... If I solve the integral for W then I get what I got from case 1 which I believe doesn't help me... any thoughts?

In case 1. Wk = ∫ p dV = ∫ con1. (dV / V); in case 2. Wk = ∫ p dV = ∫ con2. (dV / V^γ)

mk9898 said:
Thanks for the replies.

Case 2: ##W=-\triangle U##
##\triangle U =nC_v(T_2-T_1) ## ##(C_v## is with the mole of the gas)
Therefore ##W = nC_v(T_1-T_2)##>0

Now I'm scratching my head at the next step... If I solve the integral for W then I get what I got from case 1 which I believe doesn't help me... any thoughts?
For the adiabatic part, you can use the formula for adiabatic work (see, for example, this hyperphysics page )

or you can do this: Using the first law, Q = ΔU + W = CvΔT + W, so W = Q - CvΔT. Use the adiabatic condition to find the change in temperature (hint: in PVγ=K, substitute RT/V for P to get: TV(γ-1) = constant).

AM

Likes mk9898
Ok so I have ##W = \frac{K((\frac{V}{10})^{1-\gamma}-(V)^{1-\gamma})}{1-\gamma}##. The exercise wants us to determine the ratio i.e. compare the two values. Maybe I'm not seeing something but such a comparison doesn't lead to any easy cancellation of determines between ##RTln(10)## and ##\frac{K((\frac{V}{10})^{1-\gamma}-(V)^{1-\gamma})}{1-\gamma}##.

What is K? Once you insert K into the W equation you should see how to simplify the ratio.

Likes mk9898
Ah ok then I have: ##\frac{\frac{RT9/10}{1-\gamma}}{RTln(10)}## which is ##\frac{0.9}{ln10(1-\gamma)}## and then I can solve for gamma (gamma is 1+f/2 = 5/2). Is my logic right there?

mk9898 said:
Ok so I have ##W = \frac{K((\frac{V}{10})^{1-\gamma}-(V)^{1-\gamma})}{1-\gamma}##. The exercise wants us to determine the ratio i.e. compare the two values. Maybe I'm not seeing something but such a comparison doesn't lead to any easy cancellation of determines between ##RTln(10)## and ##\frac{K((\frac{V}{10})^{1-\gamma}-(V)^{1-\gamma})}{1-\gamma}##.
For the adiabatic case: ##T_f/T_i = (V_i/V_f)^{γ-1}##. From that find ΔT and just plug that into the first law W = Q-ΔU to find W. (hint: ΔU = CvΔT . What is Q? Cv?)
Compare that to RTiln(10).

AM

Likes mk9898
Thanks for the post. Q = 0 since it's an adiabatic process i.e. no change in heat in the system. ##\triangle T = T_f - T_i >0## since it is an adiabatic compression. Or did you mean something else with finding ##\triangle T##?

mk9898 said:
Thanks for the post. Q = 0 since it's an adiabatic process i.e. no change in heat in the system. ##\triangle T = T_f - T_i >0## since it is an adiabatic compression. Or did you mean something else with finding ##\triangle T##?
So work it out: ##\Delta T = T_i(\left(\frac{V_i}{V_f}\right)^{\gamma-1} -1) = ??##

AM

Likes mk9898
And then is ##W = C_vT_i(1-\left(\frac{V_i}{V_f}\right)^{\gamma-1}) ##

mk9898 said:
And then is ##W = C_vT_i(1-\left(\frac{V_i}{V_f}\right)^{\gamma-1}) ##
Correct. In the statement of the first law that I used, Q = ΔU + W, W is the work done BY the gas. So W is negative.

All you have to do is express Cv in terms of R and then divide by the isothermal work.

AM

Likes mk9898
##W = C_vT_i(1-\left(\frac{V_i}{V_f}\right)^{\gamma-1}) = \frac{f}{2}RT_i(1-\left(\frac{V_i}{V_f}\right)^{\gamma-1}) = \frac{f}{2}RT_i(1-10^{\gamma-1})##
Isotherm should not be "T" above but ##RT_iln(10)##
Then I take a look at the ratio.
Thanks a lot for the patience Andrew and for the help!

Last edited:
Andrew Mason said:
Correct. In the statement of the first law that I used, Q = ΔU + W, W is the work done BY the gas. So W is negative.

Shouldn't that be, that work is being done TO the gas? If the work was being done by the gas, then it would be positive since the gas would be doing the work and hence pushing the volume outward? Or is this just based on perspective?

mk9898 said:
Shouldn't that be, that work is being done TO the gas? If the work was being done by the gas, then it would be positive since the gas would be doing the work and hence pushing the volume outward? Or is this just based on perspective?
W is the work done BY the gas. Another way to write the first law is: ΔU = Q-W. This says that the change in internal energy of the system is equal to the heat flow (into) the system minus the work done BY the system. In an isothermal process with an ideal gas, ΔU = 0. So the work done BY the system is equal to the heat flow into the system.

AM

Another thought is for an isothermal process, as you take work out you must add an equal amount of heat energy to keep T constant and conversely as you put work in say in compressing the gas you need to transfer heat energy out to keep T constant.

1. What is the difference between isothermic and adiabatic compression?

Isothermic compression is a process in which compression occurs while the temperature of the system remains constant. Adiabatic compression, on the other hand, is a process in which compression occurs without any heat transfer, resulting in a change in temperature.

2. How do isothermic and adiabatic compression affect the behavior of gases?

Both isothermic and adiabatic compression affect the behavior of gases by altering their pressure, volume, and temperature. Isothermic compression results in a decrease in volume and an increase in pressure, while adiabatic compression can cause a significant rise in temperature.

3. What are some real-world applications of isothermic and adiabatic compression?

Isothermic compression is used in refrigeration and air conditioning systems, as well as in the compression stage of gas turbines. Adiabatic compression is utilized in diesel engines, gas pipelines, and industrial processes such as compressing natural gas for transportation.

4. Are isothermic and adiabatic compression reversible processes?

Isothermic compression is considered a reversible process, as the system can return to its original state by expanding back to its initial volume. Adiabatic compression, however, is irreversible, as the increase in temperature during compression cannot be completely reversed.

5. How do isothermic and adiabatic compression relate to the first and second laws of thermodynamics?

Both isothermic and adiabatic compression are governed by the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed but can only be transferred or converted. Adiabatic compression also relates to the second law of thermodynamics, which states that in an isolated system, entropy (disorder) will always increase over time.