How Do Isotope Tracers Determine Mixing Ratios in Water Samples?

In summary, the problem involves mixing two water samples with different isotopic ratios. Using the isotopic mixing equation or the two-component mixing model, it can be determined that 26% of the mixture came from Sample 1 and 74% came from Sample 2.
geojon

Homework Statement

Two water samples are mixed. Sample 1 has δ18O-H2O = -1(per mil), Sample 2 has δ18O-H2O = -20 (per mil), and the mixture has δ18O-H2O = -15 (per mil).

What fraction of water came from sample 1 and what fraction came from sample 2?
Assume that F = the fraction of the water that came from Sample 1
Assume that 1-F = the fraction of the water that came from Sample 2

Homework Equations

QT=Q1+Q2 where QT is total percent, and Q1 and Q2 are the percent contributions to the mixture from samples 1 and 2, respectively.

δ18OTQT = δ18O1Q118O2Q2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've uploaded my work...if I am using the write mixing equation for two endmembers, my problem really is then just isolating and solving for F. From there I can solve for F2

Attachments

• Mixing.JPG
    Mixing.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 426
@Greg Bernhardt I've used the Isotopic Mixing Equation: δ18OTQT = δ18O1Q118O2Q2 in order to solve it. It can also be solved using a Two-component Mixing Model, according to the equations: F2 = (δ18Omix18O1) / (δ18O218O1) ; F1 = 1 - F2
Using both equations, you find that the fraction of the sample coming from sample 1 is 0.26 (or 26%), and percent contribution from sample 2 is 0.74 (or 74%)

1. What are isotope tracers and how do they work?

Isotope tracers are atoms of the same element with different numbers of neutrons. They work by being incorporated into a system or sample, and their movement or distribution can then be tracked or traced to gather information about the system's processes.

2. Why are isotope tracers used in scientific research?

Isotope tracers are used in scientific research to gain a better understanding of natural and man-made processes, such as nutrient cycling, water movement, and pollution tracking. They can also be used to validate models and hypotheses, and to measure rates of change within a system.

3. How are isotope tracers incorporated into a system or sample?

Isotope tracers can be incorporated into a system or sample through various methods, such as through absorption, ingestion, or injection. The method used depends on the type of system being studied and the specific research goals.

4. What are some common types of isotope tracers used in scientific research?

Some common types of isotope tracers used in scientific research include hydrogen, carbon, nitrogen, and oxygen isotopes. These can be used individually or in combination to track different processes within a system.

5. How are isotope tracers used to study mixing in environmental systems?

Isotope tracers can be used to study mixing in environmental systems by providing a means to distinguish between different sources or components within a system. By tracking the movement of different isotopes, researchers can determine the relative contributions of different sources to a system and how they may be mixing or interacting.