Issue with perspective projection?

In summary, perspective projection is a concept often used when discussing camera models and is taught in junior high or primary school. However, it may be difficult for beginners to understand due to the various representation conventions. There are resources available, such as tutorials and textbooks, that can help with understanding the physical meaning of the parameters of perspective projection. It is also a common problem encountered in the field of computer vision, but the solution depends on the specifics of the problem. There are different methods available, such as the "lambda twist algorithm", but it is important to have accurate input data in order to successfully solve the problem.
Huyanyinglei
Summary: Perspective projection is often referred to when talking about camera models

I have the following problem. Perspective projection is often referred to when talking about camera models(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_projection#Perspective_projection). I don’t think I understand it very well though this concept is taught when I was at junior high or even primary school. I think programmers with a computer vision background may be familiar with it.

I read quite some “tutorials” on perspective projection, also computer vision textbooks like “Computer Vision: Algorithms and Applications”, “Multiple View Geometry in Computer Vision:Second Edition”. But the representation conventions seems to be quite a lot. It’s a little bit unfriendly to beginners. Just to get a feeling, here’s one of them:
1.png

May I ask if there’s some good, easy-to-read and self-contained articles that can help beginners like me understand perspective projection? It may explains quite clearly the physical meaning of the parameters of it, especially the “scale factor”.

Any ideas? Thanx in advance.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I ran into the perspective projection early in my career as a Software Engineer and found it to be no problem.
1) translate your space so that the focal point of the camera is at (0,0,0). This is simply subtracting the coordinates of your focal point from all the points that will be projected.
2) rotate you space so that the camera is looking down the Z axis in the -Z direction, and the X and Y axis are as you want them in the projection.
3) Eliminate anything with a non-negative Z (they are in back of the camera.
4) Transform: X=-x/z, Y=-y/z

That's it.

Of course, you may want to project more than just points - such as conic sections. But if you're struggling with that wiki article, start by practicing with with points.

Last edited:
.Scott said:
That's it.

From the OP's links, the problem the OP asks about an inverse problem to finding screen coordinates. It has to do with finding the 3-D coordinates of the camera from information about the object being viewed and the object's screen coordinates.

Stephen Tashi said:
From the OP's links, the problem the OP asks about an inverse problem to finding screen coordinates. It has to do with finding the 3-D coordinates of the camera from information about the object being viewed and the object's screen coordinates.
I have also run into that kind of problem, but the solution depends on the specifics. If the points on an aerial photograph are associated with Lat/Long/altitude values, then the photographic transform can be worked out using simple linear arithmetic. If there are "too many" points, then a least squares best fit can be determined. In practice, I have never gone from the transformation parameters to the actual camera position and orientation, but I don't see any problem in doing that.
The specific of the answer obviously depends on the specifics of the problem. If the OP wants more suggestions, I will keep an eye on this thread for a few days.

As I said, it's very application-specific. I never attempted to solve it "cold" given only three points. I required that the user specify four points - and preferably 5 or 6. That way I could validate the input. It was too easy for an analyst to misidentify a landmark on either the map or the film.
When I say "cold", sometimes there was other information I had that I could use to determine the mapping. Cold was when that other information was not available.

1. What is perspective projection and why is it important in scientific research?

Perspective projection is a mathematical technique used to project three-dimensional objects onto a two-dimensional surface. It is important in scientific research because it allows us to accurately represent and analyze complex objects and phenomena in a way that is easier to understand and manipulate.

2. How does perspective projection differ from other types of projections?

Perspective projection differs from other types of projections, such as orthographic projection, in that it takes into account the perceived depth and distance of objects in a scene. This creates a more realistic representation of the object or scene being projected.

3. What are some common issues with perspective projection?

One common issue with perspective projection is distortion, where objects closer to the viewer appear larger than objects further away. This can make it difficult to accurately measure and analyze the size and scale of objects in a scene. Another issue is the loss of information in the projected image, as objects that are not in the direct line of sight may be obscured or appear distorted.

4. How do scientists address these issues in their research?

Scientists often use various techniques, such as adjusting the focal length or angle of view, to minimize distortion in perspective projection. They may also use multiple projections or combine different types of projections to create a more accurate representation of the object or scene being studied.

5. Are there any limitations to perspective projection in scientific research?

While perspective projection is a valuable tool in scientific research, it does have some limitations. For example, it may not accurately represent objects with complex shapes or those that are very large or very small. It also relies on the assumptions of a single viewer and may not accurately represent the perspective of multiple viewers or different viewing angles.