Final year raytracer project ideas

In summary: If you want to learn computer graphics, I suggest that you start by studying some of the basic tutorials and then trying to implement some of the things you learned in your own projects.In summary, the person is interested in developing a ray tracer as a final year project, but does not have any experience in the computer science side of the field. They suggest starting with the existing tools and learning about the instructor's desired outcome.
ellipsoid
TL;DR Summary
raytracer project ideas for final year university project
Hi there. I am about to enter my final year of a computer science bachelor degree and must do a final year project that spans most of the academic year. I have some experience on the artistic side of computer graphics but none in the computer science side. I would be interested in developing some kind of ray tracer as a final year project but have been told that my project should be technically challenging, have a reason for someone to use my version over any existing version and solve some kind of particular problem.

Perhaps I am out of my depth trying to develop a ray tracer that can satisfy the above criteria when I have no prior experience?

Some have talked about making one that runs better than existing solutions or being optimised for something in particular. I am not quite sure how I could do this and would greatly appreciate and thoughts, ideas or suggestions on this or any unique relatively unexplored areas of raytracing I could base a project around?

Many thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
ellipsoid said:
I am about to enter my final year of a computer science bachelor degree
ellipsoid said:
I have some experience on the artistic side of computer graphics but none in the computer science side
How in the world are you going to graduate with a BS in Computer Science with no experience in Computer Science? That would seem to make no sense.

ellipsoid said:
Some have talked about making one that runs better than existing solutions or being optimised for something in particular. I am not quite sure how I could do this and would greatly appreciate and thoughts, ideas or suggestions on this or any unique relatively unexplored areas of raytracing I could base a project around?
Ray tracing programs are pretty well developed and basic, unless you do something weird with non-linear optics and/or aspheric lenses. You could maybe do a ray tracing program with graphics for the JWST, which would be interesting and involve the multiple mirrors, etc., but it would not be rocket science (sorry for the pun).

ellipsoid said:
I have some experience on the artistic side of computer graphics but none in the computer science side.
I assume you mean none on the computer graphics side.
ellipsoid said:
I would be interested in developing some kind of ray tracer as a final year project but have been told that my project should be technically challenging, have a reason for someone to use my version over any existing version and solve some kind of particular problem.

Perhaps I am out of my depth trying to develop a ray tracer that can satisfy the above criteria when I have no prior experience?
IMHO, the first thing to learn in computer science is to use the existing tools. Getting buried in the details of developing a ray tracer is not very valuable. Use the existing ray-tracing software tools. BUT you should definitely find out what the instructor had in mind.

Implementing a simple ray tracing project is not a big deal but once you go further into the details it can take some time... I implemented a project just for fun (source code here: https://github.com/aromanro/RayTracer ) but it still has a lot of things left out that can be considered 'technically challenging' (for example, addition of importance sampling for composite/complex objects).

Knowing how things work can be very valuable.

Likes harborsparrow

1. What is a "raytracer" and how does it work?

A raytracer is a computer graphics technique used to create realistic images by simulating the behavior of light in a virtual 3D environment. It works by tracing the path of light rays as they interact with objects in the scene, calculating how they are reflected, refracted, and absorbed, and then using this information to create a final image.

2. What are some potential project ideas for a final year raytracer project?

Some potential project ideas for a final year raytracer project include implementing advanced lighting and shading techniques, creating a user-friendly graphic user interface, optimizing the raytracing algorithm for faster rendering times, or incorporating physics simulations into the raytraced scenes.

3. Do I need any prior knowledge or experience to work on a raytracer project?

While having a basic understanding of computer graphics and programming languages such as C++ or Python may be helpful, it is not necessary to have prior knowledge or experience to work on a raytracer project. As long as you have a strong interest in computer graphics and are willing to learn, you can successfully complete a raytracer project.

4. Are there any open-source raytracer projects that I can contribute to?

Yes, there are many open-source raytracer projects available on platforms such as GitHub that welcome contributions from developers. Some popular open-source raytracer projects include PBRT, LuxCoreRender, and Mitsuba.

5. Can a raytracer project be extended to create animations?

Yes, a raytracer project can be extended to create animations by implementing techniques such as motion blur and keyframe animation. However, this may require more advanced programming skills and a longer development time compared to a static raytracer project.