IT/Communication jobs vs software/hardware jobs

• Thread starter m_p_w
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jobs
In summary, there is a misconception that studying IT and communication leads to more job opportunities, particularly in the field of hardware and software. However, this is not necessarily true as there are many job opportunities for individuals with degrees in computer science, computer engineering, and electronics engineering. Additionally, having a degree in IT and communication does not guarantee a job in that field, and many software developers come from various educational backgrounds. It is important to have a strong resume and to search for job opportunities in government services. It is also worth noting that while there is a focus on software in universities, there is a need for hardware engineers in the industry. Therefore, studying electronics and robotics may be a better choice for individuals interested in a career in electronic engineering.
m_p_w
I was told many many... many times that its better to study IT and communication because there are more jobs available, and The software/hardware jobs are only possible to get in California, Japan, South Korea and Taiwan and its very difficult to get them. Is this true??
So if you study Computer Science, Computer engineering, Electronics engineering or Robotics then its very difficult to get a job that is hardware/software based and you are forced to work in IT/communication related job, but you are less likely to be hired than a person with the IT and Communication degree.
Is this really a case?

Physics news on Phys.org
m_p_w said:
So if you study Computer Science, Computer engineering, Electronics engineering or Robotics then its very difficult to get a job that is hardware/software based and you are forced to work in IT/communication related job, but you are less likely to be hired than a person with the IT and Communication degree.
Is this really a case?
No. At least in the US this is not the case. I work with software developers with degrees in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, philosophy, and no degree at all. Your college major does not necessarily dictate your career options.

Likes JakeBrodskyPE
Computer hardware engineers design new computer hardware, creating blueprints of computer equipment to be built test the completed models of the computer hardware they design, Analyze the test results and modify the design as needed Oversee the manufacturing process for computer hardware Maintain knowledge of computer engineering trends and new technology. For a good job you have to make a good resume.you can search on government service jobs. You will get countless number of resumes written by experts.It is amazing service from my experience.

You haven't really said what career you want (assuming its career advice you are after!)... but I work in an Electronics and Instrumentation company in the UK. I am currently recruiting for an electronics engineer and I get 5 CVs a day from people with IT/Comms degrees, I get another 5 from people with "Electronics" degrees who have done nothing but software and maybe put a RPi on a plastic robot. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking people with a degree, if you put the time and the effort in and get a good grade then that's great but... in my field especially, electronic hardware engineers I think will be paid the big bucks in 10-15 years because all the universities seem to be focusing on software, but the software guys will always need some hardware to blow up when they start picking up screwdrivers and soldering irons :)

That being said, for a real world electronic engineering job I would study electronics/robotics because IT/Comms will not give you the necessary skills... just my opinion though!

Related to IT/Communication jobs vs software/hardware jobs

1. What is the main difference between IT/Communication jobs and software/hardware jobs?

The main difference between IT/Communication jobs and software/hardware jobs is the focus of the job responsibilities. IT/Communication jobs typically involve managing and maintaining computer networks and communication systems, while software/hardware jobs involve developing and creating software and hardware products.

2. Which field offers better job opportunities and salary?

Both IT/Communication jobs and software/hardware jobs offer good job opportunities and competitive salaries. It ultimately depends on the specific job role, company, and location. Generally, software/hardware jobs may have higher salaries due to the demand for skilled developers and engineers, but IT/Communication jobs also have a strong job market.

3. Do IT/Communication jobs and software/hardware jobs require different skill sets?

Yes, IT/Communication jobs and software/hardware jobs require different skill sets. IT/Communication jobs typically require skills in network management, troubleshooting, and communication systems. Software/hardware jobs require skills in programming languages, software development, and hardware engineering.

4. Can someone with a background in IT/Communication transition into a software/hardware job?

It is possible for someone with a background in IT/Communication to transition into a software/hardware job. However, it may require additional education or training to gain the necessary skills for the new job. It also depends on the individual's interests and aptitude for software and hardware development.

5. Which field has better job stability and growth opportunities?

Both IT/Communication jobs and software/hardware jobs have good job stability and growth opportunities. As technology continues to advance, the demand for skilled professionals in both fields will continue to grow. It is important to stay updated on the latest trends and advancements in the industry to remain competitive in the job market.