ITER at World Energy Congress: Will 500MW from 50MW be Achieved?

• Thread starter Dr Lots-o'watts
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iter
In summary, The World Energy Congress is currently taking place and among the presentation booths for major energy suppliers, there is one for the ITER tokamak, a fusion project with a goal of producing 500MW for 5 minutes straight. The project is considered the most "straightforward" approach to fusion and has been extensively studied, making its eventual success believable. It is also possible that a smaller budget "pulsed" system could achieve net return first, with General Fusion being a potential candidate. Other attempts at net-power fusion may not be as plausible due to their focus on improving efficiency rather than scaling up an existing/demonstrated system.
Dr Lots-o'watts
I got an opportunity to attend part of the World Energy Congress (going on presently), and found it interesting to find that among the presentation booths for major energy suppliers (including major fortune 500 oil companies, fission reactor manufacturers, grid services, solar, wind etc. and talks by CEO's of these companies), there was one for the ITER tokamak. I don't follow much plasma physics lately, but it's interesting to see these guys are serious to the point of playing along the conventional suppliers, and not just within the nuclear community.

First plasma predicted for 2018. Goal is 500MW from 50MW, for 5 minutes straight.

Do you believe this goal will be acheived? What's your view on the project's chances of success?

Physics news on Phys.org
¿What can not the human being do? Just a question of time...

I think it is possible. If it plainly wasn't possible at all, then the thousands upon thousands of scientists, technicians, and other people wouldn't be trying. Even if its not possible NOW, they must have some reason to believe that they are going to be successful in the future. We'll just have to wait and see.

Fluid dynamics is complicated, and now make it a fluid of charged particles to give it strong internal interactions and it gets even worse.

ITER represents, in my mind, the most "straightforward" approach to fusion. Basically, steady-state fusion. These have been extensively studied. It is, in an oversimplifying sense, just a matter of scale of engineering at this point. So yes, I consider claims of them eventually getting net return quite believable. I'll hope for this huge milestone before contemplating on the 10x's return you mentioned above.

I also consider it mildly possible that a smaller budget "pulsed" / non-steady state system could break the net-return barrier first. There are a couple companies trying, but most aren't sharing much information. The most likely of these in my opinion, if one actually does succeed, would be http://www.generalfusion.com/ . They are approaching everything quite methodically, and already have a scaled down version that succeeded in demonstrating fusion. So in some sense, they too are trying to scale up the size. Many other net-power fusion attempts going on right now don't seem as plausible to me, because they are instead trying to "improve efficiency" of the actual process instead of trying to size scale up an existing/demonstrated one to the point of net power (some things just don't allow scaling of size to improve efficiency -- for example FocusFusion's attempt).

1. What is ITER and what is its goal?

ITER (International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor) is a large-scale scientific experiment that aims to demonstrate the feasibility of nuclear fusion as a source of energy. Its goal is to produce 500 megawatts (MW) of fusion power from an input of 50 MW, achieving a ten-fold return on energy.

2. How does ITER work?

ITER uses a process called magnetic confinement to create and control a plasma of hydrogen isotopes at extremely high temperatures and densities. This plasma is confined by powerful magnetic fields and heated by powerful radio waves and neutral beam injection. The resulting fusion reactions release large amounts of energy.

3. What is the significance of achieving 500MW from 50MW?

The 500MW output from 50MW input is known as the "Q factor" and is a measure of the efficiency of a fusion reactor. This ratio of ten (Q=10) is considered the minimum requirement for a self-sustaining fusion reaction, making it a significant milestone for the development of fusion energy as a viable source of clean and abundant energy.

4. What is the timeline for achieving this goal?

The ITER project was established in 2006 and construction of the experimental reactor began in 2013. The current timeline estimates that the first plasma will be produced in 2025, with full deuterium-tritium fusion experiments starting in 2035. The goal of producing 500MW from 50MW is expected to be achieved in the 2040s.

5. What are the potential benefits of ITER's success?

If ITER is successful in achieving its goal of producing 500MW from 50MW, it could pave the way for the development of a commercially viable fusion power plant. Fusion energy has the potential to provide a nearly limitless supply of clean energy without producing greenhouse gases or long-lived radioactive waste. It could also reduce our dependence on fossil fuels and help combat climate change.