Expanding and Naming of Abbreviated Chemical Formulas

In summary, the substance described is a heptane with a linear structure and the name 3-Bromo-2,2-DiethylHeptane. The correct naming convention would depend on whether the extreme right and left hand side 'CH3' groupings are considered part of the main chain. If they are not, then the correct name would be 2-Bromo-1,1-DiethylPentane.
jackthehat
Homework Statement
Expand and show the structure diagram of the following substance with abbreviated chemical formula - C-(CH3)3-(CH-Br-CH2)-(CH2)2-CH3 and name the substance.
Relevant Equations
Expanding and Correctly Naming Organic Formula
I noted that the number of carbons in the main chain is 7 (5 carcons and the outer two are attached to an outside 'CH3' grouping .. and the bonds are all single so we have a Heptane.
We have the main chain diagram structure as follows ..
-C-C-C-C-C-C-C- .. If we then number these carbons as .. -C1-C2-C3-C4-C5-C6-C7-
Then C1 has 3 x Hydrogen atoms attached ...
C2 has 2 x 'CH3' Methyl groups attached (above and below) ...
C3 has a Hydrogen and a Bromine ('H' and 'Br') attached above and below it on the diagram ..
C4, C5 and C6 each have 2 Hydrogens attached (one above and one below) ..
and C7 (extreme right) has 3 Hydrogen atoms attached.
The above would be shown on a normal line diagram and shows a linear structure.
From this I named the substance .. 3-Bromo-2,2-DiethylHeptane

My questions to you are ..
1. Have I identified this correctly as a 'Heptane' or do I count the extreme right and left hand side 'CH3' groupings as not in the main chain but as separate 'Methyl' groups thus losing 2 Carbons from the main chain and making this a 'Pentane' instead ?
2. Assuming that I am correct in identifying this as a 'Heptane' .. have I used the correct naming convention here .. or if it is a 'Pentane' as I query above .. would the correct name then be ..
2-Bromo-1,1-DiethylPentane instead ?
Regards,
Jackthehat

Physics news on Phys.org
Dimethyl, other than that 3-bromo-2,2-dimethylheptane looks OK (note the capitalization: or rather lack of it).

Rather lousy way of expressing the structure, it suggests the Br is part of the chain.

Likes BvU

1. What is the purpose of expanding and naming abbreviated chemical formulas?

Expanding and naming abbreviated chemical formulas allows scientists to accurately represent and communicate the structure of a molecule. It also helps in identifying and differentiating between different molecules.

2. How do you expand an abbreviated chemical formula?

To expand an abbreviated chemical formula, you need to first identify the elements present in the molecule and their respective atomic symbols. Then, determine the number of atoms of each element by looking at the subscript numbers next to the atomic symbols. Finally, use this information to write out the full chemical formula, including all atoms and their respective bonds.

3. What is the process for naming an expanded chemical formula?

The process for naming an expanded chemical formula involves first identifying the functional groups present in the molecule, which are responsible for its chemical properties. Then, use the IUPAC naming system to assign a name to the molecule based on the functional groups present and their location in the molecule.

4. Are there any rules for expanding and naming chemical formulas?

Yes, there are specific rules and guidelines for expanding and naming chemical formulas. These rules are set by the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) to ensure consistency and accuracy in chemical nomenclature. These rules include guidelines for naming different types of compounds, such as organic and inorganic compounds.

5. Why is it important to use correct chemical nomenclature?

Using correct chemical nomenclature is important because it allows for clear and accurate communication among scientists. It also helps in avoiding confusion and errors when working with different compounds. Additionally, standardized nomenclature allows for easier identification and classification of chemicals in databases and literature.