Jacobian transformation for finding area

In summary, the conversation discusses a shortcut for finding the area bounded by curves of a specific form, using a formula involving the Jacobian matrix. The shortcut involves considering the solutions of two equations on the number plane and using an alternative coordinate system. The Jacobian matrix is used to relate the area of a parallelogram to the area of a square in this coordinate system.
Titan97
Gold Member
My maths teacher taught me a shortcut for finding area bounded by curves of the form: $$|as+by+c|+|Ax+By+C|=d$$

Shortcut:

Let required area be ##A_0## and new area after "transformation" be ##A##
Then, $$A_0\begin{vmatrix}
a& b\\
A& B\end{vmatrix}=A=2d^2$$

All I understood was the ##A=2d^2## part. Its the area of triangle of base=y-intercept and height=x-intercept where x_intercept is c/a and y-intercept is b/a.

I have not even heard the name "jacobian" and I don't know what transformation he was talking about. But the formula worked. I want to learn about Jacobian (the transformation and not the person). How did he get the shortcut? (I did not understand what's given in wikipedia and they have not specified this shortcut)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let ##f(x,y)\equiv ax+by+c## and ##F(x,y)\equiv Ax+By+C##. Consider the lines on the number plane that are the solutions of the equations ##f(x,y)=nd## for ##n## an integer, and the lines that are the solutions of ##F(x,y)=md## for ##m## an integer. The ##F## lines will all be parallel to one another and equidistant, and the same for the ##f## lines. The lines give a lattice for the number plane that can be used for an alternative coordinate system under which a point at the intersection of lines ##f(x,y)=nd## and ##F(x,y)=md## is given coordinates ##(n,m)##, and coordinates for points not on such lines are interpolated.

The area to be measured is that of the parallelogram whose vertices have alternative (n,m) coordinates (0,1), (1,0), (0,-1), (-1,0). In the original coordinates the area of such a shape (which would be a square) is 2 but because the f and F lines are probably not orthogonal, and are scaled differently, the shape will be a parallelogram. The Jacobian is a matrix that, amongst other things, represents the impact of a change in coordinates. It can be used to relate the area of a parallelogram to the area of a square in the coordinate system in which the parallelogram has 'square' coordinates.

If you search 'jacobian matrix measure area parallelogram' you'll find lots of good info about it.

In two dimensions this can be done more easily with vector cross products, but the Jacobian approach allows application to any number of dimensions.

Likes Titan97

1. What is a Jacobian transformation for finding area?

A Jacobian transformation is a mathematical method used to calculate the area of a region in a different coordinate system. It involves transforming the coordinates of the region from one system to another and then calculating the area using the new coordinates.

2. How is a Jacobian transformation different from other methods of finding area?

Unlike other methods such as using basic geometric formulas or integration, a Jacobian transformation allows us to find the area in a different coordinate system without having to change the shape or size of the region. This makes it a more versatile and efficient method for finding area.

3. What is the importance of using a Jacobian transformation?

A Jacobian transformation is important because it allows us to find the area of a region in a different coordinate system, which can be useful in various applications such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It also provides a more general method for finding area compared to traditional methods.

4. How do you perform a Jacobian transformation to find area?

To perform a Jacobian transformation for finding area, you first need to determine the change of variables between the two coordinate systems. This can be done by using a set of equations that relate the coordinates in one system to the coordinates in the other system. Once the change of variables is determined, the area can be calculated using the new coordinates.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Jacobian transformation for finding area?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a Jacobian transformation. It may not be suitable for finding area in some complex or irregularly shaped regions. Additionally, it may be more computationally intensive compared to other methods, especially for higher dimensions. In such cases, other methods may be more suitable for finding area.