Find the area of a segment of a circle using integration

• Thread starter nafisanazlee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Circle
nafisanazlee
Mentor note: Moved from a math technical section, so template is not present.
I was asked to calculate the area of the smaller section enclosed by the circle x²+y²-6x-8y-35=0 and the x axis. I've tried to solve it with geometry, using the x-intercepts and the centre of the circle I drew a triangle. Then by subtracting the area of triangle from the area of one particular sector I got the answer. But I couldn't do it with calculus, using the actual function. Can you help me with it? How do I approach?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
nafisanazlee said:
I was asked to calculate the area of the smaller section enclosed by the circle x²+y²-6x-8y-35=0 and the x axis. I've tried to solve it with geometry, using the x-intercepts and the centre of the circle I drew a triangle. Then by subtracting the area of triangle from the area of one particular sector I got the answer. But I couldn't do it with calculus, using the actual function. Can you help me with it? How do I approach?
Complete the square in the x and y terms, and then isolate the factored y terms on one side. If you solve for y you will get two functions. One of the functions represents the y values above the x-axis and the other represents the y values below the x-axis. It's the latter of these that you want to use in the integral.

BTW, questions like this one should be posted in the Calculus & Beyond homework section, using the template. I'm going to move this thread to that section.

Likes nafisanazlee
Mark44 said:
Complete the square in the x and y terms, and then isolate the factored y terms on one side. If you solve for y you will get two functions. One of the functions represents the y values above the x-axis and the other represents the y values below the x-axis. It's the latter of these that you want to use in the integral.

BTW, questions like this one should be posted in the Calculus & Beyond homework section, using the template. I'm going to move this thread to that section.
Thanks for your reply. I actually tried this method but unfortunately this gives me two functions which are the upper half and the lower half of the circle. I get y = 4±√(-x²+6x+51). Could you tell me where I was making a mistake?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-12-17-13-01-53-999_com.android.chrome.png
    Screenshot_2023-12-17-13-01-53-999_com.android.chrome.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 23
nafisanazlee said:
Thanks for your reply. I actually tried this method but unfortunately this gives me two functions which are the upper half and the lower half of the circle. I get y = 4±√(-x²+6x+51). Could you tell me where I was making a mistake?

That all looks good to me. Why do you think there's a mistake?

Likes nafisanazlee
PeroK said:
That all looks good to me. Why do you think there's a mistake?
Mark said- "One of the functions represents the y values above the x-axis and the other represents the y values below the x-axis. It's the latter of these that you want to use in the integral." But the latter one also contains some positive values of y. Anyways, I now understand using the latter one will give me the area. I was just a bit confused. Thanks for the clarification.

nafisanazlee said:
Mark said- "One of the functions represents the y values above the x-axis and the other represents the y values below the x-axis. It's the latter of these that you want to use in the integral." But the latter one also contains some positive values of y. Anyways, I now understand using the latter one will give me the area. I was just a bit confused. Thanks for the clarification.
I would calculaute the area below the x-axis (as this is a single function) and then subtract that from the total area of a circle to get the area above the x-axis.

Likes nafisanazlee
nafisanazlee said:
Mark said- "One of the functions represents the y values above the x-axis and the other represents the y values below the x-axis...."
I erred in saying the above. One of the functions, the one that starts with "4 + ..." represents the part of the circle above the line y = 4. The other represents the part below that line. To get the area of the part of the circle below the x axis, integrate, with respect to x, between the two x-intercepts. Make sure you set up your integral correctly or you could get a negative value.

Likes nafisanazlee
Mark44 said:
I erred in saying the above. One of the functions, the one that starts with "4 + ..." represents the part of the circle above the line y = 4. The other represents the part below that line. To get the area of the part of the circle below the x axis, integrate, with respect to x, between the two x-intercepts. Make sure you set up your integral correctly or you could get a negative value.
Thank you so much.

You could also solve for ##x## as a function of ##y## and integrate with respect to ##y##. That's pretty straightforward as well.

1. How do you find the area of a segment of a circle using integration?

To find the area of a segment of a circle using integration, you first need to determine the equation of the circle and the limits of integration for the segment. Then, you can set up the integral to calculate the area by integrating the equation of the circle over the specified limits.

2. What is the formula for the area of a segment of a circle?

The formula for the area of a segment of a circle can be found by subtracting the area of the triangle formed by the two radii and the chord from the area of the sector formed by the two radii and the arc of the segment. This formula can be derived using integration.

3. Why use integration to find the area of a segment of a circle?

Integration is used to find the area of a segment of a circle because it allows for the calculation of irregular shapes, such as segments of circles, by summing up infinitely small areas. This method provides a more accurate result compared to traditional geometric formulas.

4. Can you find the area of a segment of a circle without using integration?

Yes, the area of a segment of a circle can also be calculated using geometric formulas involving the radius, central angle, and length of the chord. However, using integration allows for a more general method that can be applied to any shape, not just segments of circles.

5. Are there any limitations to using integration to find the area of a segment of a circle?

One limitation of using integration to find the area of a segment of a circle is that it requires knowledge of calculus and may be more complex than using geometric formulas. Additionally, integration may not always be the most efficient method for simple or regular shapes.