Japan battles the old man smell

In summary: Interesting. In summary, Japan is facing an "old man smell" problem due to the creation of a certain type of fatty acid in the bodies of older people.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Japan battles "the old man smell"

Something weird I heard about on the radio this morning.

http://inventorspot.com/articles/japans_aging_population_deals_with_old_man_smell_16746

Japan's average population is aging at a rate faster than most other industrialized nations and with age, comes wisdom... and a few other things too. As if hard-working "salarymen" don't already have enough worries, now they have to deal with "old man smell". The phenomena has even been given a name: kareishu.

Kareishu is caused by a certain type of fatty acid created in the bodies of older people. This substance, called "nonenal", has a distinct scent that is difficult to hide or mask since it is emitted from the skin when humans sweat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2-Nonenal

2-Nonenal has an unpleasant greasy and grassy odor. Because of these findings, some observers have concluded that Haze's team has identified the cause of the phenomenon commonly known as "old lady smell", "old man smell" or "old person smell", a meme found in pop culture relating to an odor that is characteristically associated with the elderly.[5] Similarly, some consider 2-nonenal's odor to resemble that of old books and is at times casually referred to as "library aldehyde."

:eek:

Gee, I would have thought they were just talking about Ben Gay and Grecian formula.

Physics news on Phys.org

Maybe it's nature's way of stopping old men from procreating. Luckily there are women like Heather Mills who can see past such superficialities.

That's really interesting. I wonder if anyone's done any studies on whether some people are more sensitive to it than other people. We used to have a part-time worker who was 69 years old, and one of the younger women in our office (she's 23) always complained that the first woman "smelled like an old person". The 23-year-old found it really and truly off-putting.

I know I can smell it. I'm 24 if that makes a difference.

I don't think I have ever noticed anything. I worked in a nursing home when I was a teenager and was around elderly folks a lot. I don't recall noticing anything then.

What causes the "old man smell" in Japan?

The "old man smell" in Japan is caused by a combination of factors. One of the main contributors is the traditional Japanese diet, which is high in fermented foods such as soy sauce and miso. These foods release compounds that contribute to the distinct odor. Additionally, poor hygiene practices and the use of traditional clothing and bedding materials can also contribute to the smell.

Is the "old man smell" a health concern?

No, the "old man smell" is not a health concern. While it may be unpleasant to some, it is not harmful to one's health. It is simply a result of cultural and lifestyle factors in Japan.

Does everyone in Japan have the "old man smell"?

No, not everyone in Japan has the "old man smell." While it may be more prevalent among older men, it is not a universal trait among all Japanese people. Factors such as diet, lifestyle, and hygiene practices can vary among individuals and can affect the intensity of the smell.

Can the "old man smell" be eliminated or reduced?

The "old man smell" can be reduced by practicing good hygiene and incorporating more fresh, non-fermented foods into one's diet. However, it is difficult to completely eliminate the smell as it is a result of cultural and lifestyle factors deeply ingrained in Japanese society.

Is there a stigma associated with the "old man smell" in Japan?

While there may be some societal pressure to conform to certain beauty standards in Japan, the "old man smell" is not typically stigmatized. It is seen as a natural part of aging and is not considered a negative trait. However, personal hygiene is still valued and individuals may take steps to reduce the smell for their own comfort and the comfort of those around them.

Back