[JAVA] I seem to always need to enter the class path to run the program

In summary, the compiler is working properly, but when I try to run the program it says "Error: Could not find or load main class hello". I think the problem is that the source file name "hello.java", the class file name is "hello.class" and the specified class is "hello". Even though only the <>.class and the class name itself has to match, I wanted to make sure everything was in tact. I edited the environmental variables and it worked fine.
mindauggas
Hi,

I wanted to try to use cmd to compile and run a program in java. I have sucessfully compiled it. The compiler is working properly (C:\new> javac output the compilers functions), but I'm always getting the same error: "Error: Could not find or load main class hello".

When I specify the class path ("java -cp C:\new hello") the program works.

How to solve this dilemma to succesfully run the programms in cmd?

P.S. the source file name "hello.java", the class file name is "hello.class" and the specified class is "hello". Even though only the <>.class and the class name itself has to match I wanted to make sure everything is in tact there.

Help really needed here.

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
Current directory is not part of the class path by default. You can edit your environment variables and add "." to the classpath (warning: unsafe on 'real' systems).

Sorry, but what do you mean by "You can edit your environment variables and add "." to the classpath (warning: unsafe on 'real' systems)"

1. What do you mean by "."
2. And "unsafe for "real" systems?

P.S. I edited the environmental variables. It wokrs fine.

mindauggas said:
Sorry, but what do you mean by "You can edit your environment variables and add "." to the classpath (warning: unsafe on 'real' systems)"

1. What do you mean by "."

"." is the name of your current directory, e.g. if you're in "c:\new" then "." == "c:\new".

2. And "unsafe for "real" systems?

Servers out in the world, accessible by the public, or private multiuser systems. In these systems having "." in paths is dangerous because if you're in another directory that is writable by other people, someone could put a program there called "java" and when you say "java hello" it could run their program and not the real java application -- or they could put a "hello.java" in that directory and it would run that instead of yours.

It's always better (read: safer) to always specify the full path to applications (like java / java.exe) and to always specify the classpath with -cp, than it is to change search paths.

Thank you

1. How do I set the class path in Java?

The class path in Java can be set using the "-cp" or "-classpath" options when running the Java program from the command line. The class path can also be set using the CLASSPATH environment variable or by specifying it in the manifest file of a jar file.

2. Why do I need to set the class path in Java?

The class path in Java is used to specify the location of the classes and resources that are required for a Java program to run. This includes the location of any external libraries or dependencies that the program may need to access.

3. How do I know what to set as the class path in Java?

The class path in Java should include the location of any external libraries or dependencies that the program needs to access. This can be determined by checking the import statements in the code or by consulting the documentation of the program or libraries being used.

4. Can I set multiple locations in the class path in Java?

Yes, the class path in Java can include multiple locations, separated by a colon (:) on Unix-based systems or a semicolon (;) on Windows systems. This allows the program to access classes and resources from multiple locations.

5. Is there a way to avoid setting the class path every time I run the program in Java?

Yes, you can avoid having to set the class path every time by using an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) such as Eclipse or IntelliJ, which automatically handles the class path for you. You can also create a shell script or batch file to set the class path and run the program with a single command.