Java- Printing an Original Array while Performing Operations on an Array Copy

In summary: System.out.println("In summary, the average of all the numbers except the lowest " + n + " is " + df2.format(average) + "."); } }In summary, the average of all the numbers except the lowest n is .
smilesofmiles
Hello mathhelpboards community! Please help! Thank you. :-)

I need my code to print out the user's original array that is to say the numbers in the way the user entered them. I tried making a copy of the original array and then did all of the arithmetic on it. I sorted the array copy in another method and used it to find the averages. I expected that this would allow me to keep the original numbers in tact. However, when I call the last method PrintResults to print the original array I get back the sorted array (the array copy). How do I fix this?:confused:
Code:
package calcavgdropsmallest;import java.text.DecimalFormat;
import java.util.ArrayList;
import java.util.Scanner;
import java.util.Collections;
import java.util.List;

public class CalcAvgDropSmallest {

private static DecimalFormat df2 = new DecimalFormat(".00");

public static ArrayList<Double> getArrayNumbers(){
       Scanner input = new Scanner(System.in);

System.out.println("Please enter five to ten numbers separated by spaces on one line.");

ArrayList<Double> userNumbers = new ArrayList<>();
       ArrayList<Double> numCopy = new ArrayList<>(userNumbers); //Created a copy of the array.

String numbers = input.nextLine();
       String[] strHolder = numbers.split("\\s+"); 

for(int counter = 0; counter < strHolder.length; counter++){
           userNumbers.add(counter, Double.parseDouble(strHolder[counter])); //Adding numbers to the array
        } 

return userNumbers;
    }

public static int getLowestNumber(){
       System.out.println("Please enter the amount of lowest numbers to drop."); 
       int n = input.nextInt();

return n;
    }

public static double calculateAverage(ArrayList<Double> numCopy, int n){
       double average;
       double sum = 0;

Collections.sort(numCopy, Collections.reverseOrder()); //Sorting the array list in reverse.

for(int counter = 0; counter < numCopy.size() - n; counter++){ 

sum = sum + numCopy.get(counter);
        }

average = sum / (numCopy.size() - n); //Finding the average of the array copy

return average;
    }

public static void printResults(ArrayList<Double> userNumbers, double average, int n){

System.out.print("Given the numbers ");

for(int counter = 0; counter < userNumbers.size(); counter++){ //This should print out the original array.

if(counter == userNumbers.size() - 1 ){ 
              System.out.print("and " + userNumbers.get(counter) + ", " );      
            }
           else{ 
              System.out.print(df2.format(userNumbers.get(counter)) + ", ");
            }
        }

System.out.println("the average of all the numbers except the lowest " + n + " is " + df2.format(average) + ".");

}

public static void main(String args[]){

ArrayList<Double> userNumbers = getArrayNumbers();
       int n = getLowestNumber();
       double average = calculateAverage(userNumbers, n);
       printResults(userNumbers, average, n);

}
}

Technology news on Phys.org
numCopy = new ArrayList<>(userNumbers)

This does not make a deep copy. The numCopy still references the original ArrayList. To make a deep copy add the elements to both arrays separately.

Okay, I added elements to the second array. Is there something I'm missing? The program still won't display the original numbers. Thank you for the response!
Code:
package calcavgdropsmallest;import java.text.DecimalFormat;
import java.util.ArrayList;
import java.util.Scanner;
import java.util.Collections;

public class CalcAvgDropSmallest {

private static DecimalFormat df2 = new DecimalFormat(".00");

public static ArrayList<Double> getArrayNumbers(){

System.out.println("Please enter five to ten numbers separated by spaces on one line.");

ArrayList<Double> userNumbers = new ArrayList<>();
       ArrayList<Double> numCopy = new ArrayList<>(userNumbers); //Created a copy of the array.

String numbers = input.nextLine();
       String[] strHolder = numbers.split("\\s+"); 

for(int counter = 0; counter < strHolder.length; counter++){
           userNumbers.add(counter, Double.parseDouble(strHolder[counter])); //Adding numbers to the array
        } 
       for(int i = 0; i < strHolder.length; i++){
           numCopy.add(i, Double.parseDouble(strHolder[i])); //Adding numbers to the array copy
        }       

return numCopy;
    }

public static int getLowestNumber(){
       System.out.println("Please enter the amount of lowest numbers to drop."); 
       int n = input.nextInt();

return n;
    }

public static double calculateAverage(ArrayList<Double> numCopy, int n){
       double average;
       double sum = 0;

Collections.sort(numCopy, Collections.reverseOrder()); //Sorting the array list in reverse.

for(int counter = 0; counter < numCopy.size() - n; counter++){ 

sum = sum + numCopy.get(counter);
        }

average = sum / (numCopy.size() - n); //Finding the average of the array copy

return average;
    }

public static void printResults(ArrayList<Double> userNumbers, double average, int n){

System.out.print("Given the numbers ");

for(int counter = 0; counter < userNumbers.size(); counter++){ //This should print out the original array.

if(counter == userNumbers.size() - 1 ){ 
              System.out.print("and " + userNumbers.get(counter) + ", " );      
            }
           else{ 
              System.out.print(df2.format(userNumbers.get(counter)) + ", ");
            }
        }

System.out.println("the average of all the numbers except the lowest " + n + " is " + df2.format(average) + ".");

}

public static void main(String args[]){

ArrayList<Double> numbers = getArrayNumbers();
       int n = getLowestNumber();
       double average = calculateAverage(numbers, n);
       printResults(numbers, average, n);

}
}

Hi smilesofmiles! ;)

You are creating two variables in getArrayNumbers()... and then you never use one of them nor pass it on. :eek:

Then you pass the original userNumbers to calculateAverage() giving it the different name numCopy within the function.
But that's not a copy - that is the original.
To fix it, we can use:
Code:
   public static double calculateAverage(final ArrayList<Double> userNumbers, int n){
       ArrayList<Double> numCopy = new ArrayList<Double>(userNumbers);
   }
That does make a proper copy of the list of Double's before changing it.
Note also the use of [m]final[/m] to ensure we don't accidentally try to change the original.

Thank you both! That last bit did the trick. :-) I think knowing how to do this will definitely help me with future projects. :D

What is Java Printing an Original Array while Performing Operations on an Array Copy?

Java Printing an Original Array while Performing Operations on an Array Copy is a programming concept that involves creating a copy of an original array in Java and then performing various operations on the copy while still retaining the data in the original array.

Why would you need to print an original array while performing operations on an array copy in Java?

Printing an original array while performing operations on an array copy allows you to see the changes made to the array copy without altering the data in the original array. This can be useful for debugging and comparing the results of different operations.

How do you print an original array while performing operations on an array copy in Java?

To print an original array while performing operations on an array copy in Java, you can use a for loop to iterate through the array and print each element. Alternatively, you can use the Arrays.toString() method to print the entire array at once.

Can you explain the difference between an original array and an array copy in Java?

An original array in Java is the initial array that you create and populate with data. An array copy, on the other hand, is a separate array that is created to store a duplicate of the original array's data. Any changes made to the array copy will not affect the data in the original array.

What are some common operations that can be performed on an array copy in Java?

Some common operations that can be performed on an array copy in Java include sorting, searching, adding or removing elements, and modifying individual elements. These operations allow you to manipulate the data in the array copy without altering the original array.