JavaSCript/HTML5 Equatorial Black Hole Simulator

In summary, the conversation discusses a new HTML5 canvas/JavaScript page that was created as an improvement to an old visual aid. The page includes features such as spinning black holes, quantitative accuracy, and a side by side comparison with Newtonian gravity. The default configuration is based on Mercury's orbit around the Sun and the page is available on GitHub for further study.
m4r35n357
Not to be confused with the full 3/4D one that I was plugging a while ago . . . this HTML5 canvas/JavaScript page was inspired by an old visual aid (requires Java plugin) that I found lacking in several areas. The improvements that I have made include:
  • Handles spinning black holes, with prograde and retrograde particle motion
  • Quantitatively accurate results to the best of my knowledge
  • More configurable and interactive than the applet
  • Side by side comparison with Newtonian gravity (as far as possible)
The default configuration is an approximation to Mercury's orbit around the Sun. Precession is virtually undetectable on human timescales, but you can transport the planet closer to the sun to see relativistic effects come into play. Needs 1920x1080.

Thread marked as intermediate for those who want to study the code, but should be usable by anyone . . . Enjoy!

Last edited:
Likes Markus Hanke, Greg Bernhardt and Borg
Technology news on Phys.org
Thanks for posting. I will have to look at the code later for ideas. :smile:

Borg said:
Thanks for posting. I will have to look at the code later for ideas. :smile:
Here is the GitHub link if you want to do this. The code is not what I'd call pretty, but it is slightly encapsulated, and runs in "strict" mode ;)

Likes Borg
Thanks for the direct link. I saw that it was probably on github based on the URL. I'm always looking for new and interesting visualizations in Java and Javascript. Now, all I need is the time to look it over.

[Updated: Cleaned up UI a bit, added dual speed displays and JS console debug toggle]

This HTML5 canvas/JavaScript page was inspired by an old visual aid (requires Java plugin) that I found lacking in several areas. The improvements that I have made include:
  • Handles spinning black holes, with prograde and retrograde particle motion
  • Quantitatively accurate results to the best of my knowledge
  • Side by side comparison with Newtonian gravity (as far as possible)
  • Single page interface, keyboard operable
The default configuration is an approximation to Mercury's orbit around the Sun. Precession is virtually undetectable on human timescales, but you can transport the planet closer to the sun to see relativistic effects come into play. Needs 1920x1080.

GitHub

1. What is the purpose of the Equatorial Black Hole Simulator?

The Equatorial Black Hole Simulator is a scientific tool used to simulate and study the behavior of black holes located in the equatorial region of a galaxy. It allows scientists to better understand the properties and effects of these objects.

2. How does the simulator work?

The simulator uses advanced algorithms and equations to accurately represent the physics of black holes. It takes into account factors such as mass, spin, and the effects of surrounding matter and gravitational fields.

3. What can the simulator teach us about black holes?

The simulator can help us understand the dynamics of black holes, such as their accretion disks and event horizons. It can also show the effects of black holes on their surrounding environment, such as the bending of light and the production of jets and radiation.

4. Can the simulator be used for research purposes?

Yes, the simulator is designed for scientific research. It can be used to test theories and predictions about black holes, as well as to generate data for further analysis and study.

5. Is the simulator accessible to the public?

While the simulator is primarily intended for use by scientists and researchers, there are versions available for the general public to use for educational purposes. These versions may have simplified interfaces and limited features, but can still provide a basic understanding of black hole physics.