Jobs and Fellowships: How to find open vacancies?

• Thread starter ssvani
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jobs
In summary, finding open vacancies for jobs and fellowships requires a combination of proactive research and networking. By utilizing online job search engines, attending career fairs, and connecting with professionals in your desired field, you can increase your chances of finding and securing available opportunities. It is also important to tailor your resume and cover letter to each specific job or fellowship, and to follow up with employers after submitting your application. With determination and persistence, you can successfully navigate the job market and find open vacancies that align with your career goals.
ssvani
Journals like Nature, New Scientist, Science or any Physics related journals and websites do provide job/fellowship listing, but it would be very difficult for a person to look at many sources every now and then and collect suitable vacancy announcements. I can tell you this is the most tedious job from my own experience. I was thinking for solution to this problem for so long and finally I developed a blog-based website which is powered by RSS technology.

URL: http://physicsjobs.blogspot.com

It contains jobs (research/academic) and fellowships (grad/postdoc), etc. As it is solely depends on RSS feeds, it could bring all the latest jobs instantly as and when it is posted on the Internet.

Currently my students are making use of the site. I believe the site would be useful to many others. Please circulate this message to those who are interested..

Regards
Vani

Dr. S. Vani
Bangalore

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course, www.jobs.ac.uk does this for the UK - and sometimes further afield.

yes, I included rss feeds from such half a dozen sites already. if anybody suggests more related feeds I would add them all.

TQ for the info. One could generate rss from this site. Please check back http://physicsjobs.blogspot.com now. Jobs from APS are now included. Thanks again

Related to Jobs and Fellowships: How to find open vacancies?

1. How can I find open vacancies for jobs and fellowships?

There are several ways to find open vacancies for jobs and fellowships. One way is to search online job portals and fellowship databases, such as Indeed, Glassdoor, and Idealist. Another way is to visit the websites of specific organizations or companies that you are interested in working for, as many will post their open positions on their website. You can also network with professionals in your field and inquire about open positions or attend job and career fairs to connect with potential employers.

2. What should I include in my application when applying for a job or fellowship?

Your application should include a tailored cover letter, a resume or CV, and any relevant supporting documents, such as transcripts or letters of recommendation. It is important to carefully review the job or fellowship requirements and ensure that your application highlights your relevant skills, experiences, and qualifications.

3. How can I increase my chances of getting hired for a job or fellowship?

To increase your chances of getting hired for a job or fellowship, it is important to thoroughly research the organization and position you are applying to. This will allow you to tailor your application and highlight how your skills and experiences align with the organization's goals and needs. Networking and gaining relevant experience through internships or volunteering can also make you a more competitive candidate.

4. Is it necessary to have prior experience for a fellowship or job?

While prior experience may be preferred, it is not always necessary to have prior experience for a fellowship or job. Many organizations value transferable skills and are willing to train and develop candidates who show potential and a strong passion for the field. It is important to carefully review the job or fellowship requirements and highlight any relevant experiences or skills you have, even if they are not directly related to the position.

5. How can I stand out during the application and interview process?

To stand out during the application and interview process, it is important to showcase your unique skills, experiences, and qualities that make you a strong candidate. This can include highlighting any relevant research projects, publications, or leadership roles you have had, as well as discussing your passion and enthusiasm for the field. Additionally, being well-prepared for interviews and asking thoughtful questions can also make you stand out to potential employers.