Jobs / Employability with Chemistry / Physics degree?

In summary: I was thinking of either studying physics or chemistry at university and then doing a masters or PhD in a cutting edge area of technology.In summary, there are a lot of jobs in physics and chemistry related to material science, but they are hard to get.
trollcast
Gold Member
I'm just wondering about the above 2 degrees (or possibly physics and something like applied mathematics or computer science as a double honours) and what sort of outlook there is for jobs and variety of jobs out there.

I'm interested in the areas of science that are working to produce new technologies such as graphene and carbon based nano-tech or new polymer battery technologies etc. Which of those 2 degrees would be most suitable for these sorts of cutting edge technology research jobs and more importantly are those jobs attainable or a really low chance of success?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Both chemistry and physics are very much involved in material science. I worked in a material science lab during gradschool and we had students and post-docs with physics and chemistry degrees/majors.

Jobs in physics and chemistry can be hard to get. Specifically, getting a professor/researcher job is very, very hard to get. But with a PhD in physics or chemistry you can certainly compete for technical jobs in industry. If you don't want to do graduate school and get a PhD then you should major in a type of engineering and try to do an internship with a potential employer.

You'd be much better off in an engineering program, either electrical, materials or chemical, depending on the school and what research they do.

carlgrace said:
You'd be much better off in an engineering program, either electrical, materials or chemical, depending on the school and what research they do.

Theres no materials science / engineering course at the university I wish to attend, there's a module or 2 on materials science and solid state physics in the physics course though.

I'm not really interested in the chemical engineering course as there's a load of mechanical engineering modules and business / management modules that I'm not really that interested in.

1. What types of jobs are available for someone with a degree in Chemistry or Physics?

There are a wide range of job opportunities for individuals with a degree in Chemistry or Physics. Some common career paths include research scientist, laboratory technician, chemical or process engineer, quality control analyst, and science teacher. Additionally, many individuals with a degree in Chemistry or Physics go on to work in industries such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, environmental science, and materials science.

2. Can I get a job in industry with a degree in Chemistry or Physics?

Yes, many industries require individuals with a strong background in Chemistry or Physics. These industries include pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, environmental science, materials science, and many more. Additionally, many companies offer internships and entry-level positions specifically for individuals with degrees in Chemistry or Physics.

3. Will I be able to find employment with a Chemistry or Physics degree outside of traditional scientific fields?

Yes, a degree in Chemistry or Physics can be useful in a variety of fields outside of traditional scientific industries. Many individuals with these degrees go on to work in fields such as finance, consulting, patent law, and science policy. The critical thinking and problem-solving skills gained through studying Chemistry or Physics can be applied to a wide range of careers.

4. How can I make myself stand out to potential employers with a Chemistry or Physics degree?

To stand out to potential employers, it is important to gain practical experience through internships, research projects, and extracurricular activities related to your field of study. Additionally, networking and developing strong communication and teamwork skills can also make you a more attractive candidate to employers.

5. Is further education necessary for career advancement with a degree in Chemistry or Physics?

While further education, such as a master's degree or PhD, may be necessary for certain career paths, it is not always required for career advancement with a degree in Chemistry or Physics. Many individuals with a bachelor's degree in these fields go on to have successful and fulfilling careers. However, continuing education and professional development opportunities can be beneficial for staying updated on new technologies and advancements in the field.