Jobs in numerical simulations with a BSc in Physics?

In summary, the best path to pursue similar work in the industry is to study numerical mathematics, implement a numerical scheme, and use it to solve physical problems. This can be done through self-study or by supplementing it with an internship in industry.
BearShark
Just finished my Bs.c with a minor in CS. At the end of my degree I did a reserch project where I numerically solved a nonlinear PDE and enjoyed the numerical simulation work. What is the best path to do similar work in the industry? I don't mind simulating models from outside of physics, such as traffic flow.

Physics news on Phys.org
BearShark said:
At the end of my degree I did a reserch project where I numerically solved a nonlinear PDE and enjoyed the numerical simulation work.

What did this amount to? It can include:
  1. Deriving a numerical scheme and proving its convergence and stability.
  2. Implementing this scheme in a programming language.
  3. Using the implementation to solve specific problems
All three components are valuable and ideally all three interact in a joint work, but you may have a preference for one or the other. For example, if enjoy 1. then my advice might include further study of numerical mathematics, but if you prefer 3. then it might include further study and (industry) experience in specific application domain(s).

I'd say I enjoy the latter. Would self studying include independent self studying outside of academia?

BearShark said:
I'd say I enjoy the latter. Would self studying include independent self studying outside of academia?

Yes, I would certainly say so, but it may be best if you complement this with an internship in industry in order to gain experience and contacts. The reason is that I understand you are mostly interested in using existing implementations of numerical algorithms to solve physical problems, so the challenge is in finding problems that are interesting and challenging rather than just expanding your knowledge.

I am more familiar with 1. and partially 2. rather than 3, so I think it would be nice to see what house-bot @jedishrfu has to say about your question.

Likes jedishrfu
Your best bet is to just search on numerical and computational simulation jobs. Weather forecasting comes to mind as well as ocean currents or earthquake and volcano modeling.

Business forecasting and machine learning may incorporate methods of numerical simulations too.

So search using variations of numerical and computational too what comes up.

You could also check with your profs too as they will taught current and former students who now work in the field.

Look for jobs that require MATLAB experience too. H

Lastly as an aside, the Open Source Physics site has java based examples and code and a book on a wide variety if simulation techniques.

Looking through operations research jobs might also lead to something interesting.

1. What kind of jobs can I get with a BSc in Physics specializing in numerical simulations?

With a BSc in Physics specializing in numerical simulations, you can pursue careers in a variety of industries such as aerospace, defense, energy, finance, and technology. Some specific job titles may include simulation engineer, data analyst, computational physicist, or research scientist.

2. What skills do I need to have for jobs in numerical simulations with a BSc in Physics?

In addition to a strong foundation in physics principles and mathematical skills, you will need to have a good understanding of computer programming and coding languages such as Python, C++, and Fortran. Other important skills include problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and the ability to work with large datasets.

3. Is a BSc in Physics sufficient for a career in numerical simulations, or do I need a higher degree?

A BSc in Physics can be a good starting point for a career in numerical simulations, but many employers may prefer candidates with a higher degree such as a Master's or PhD. These advanced degrees can provide you with more specialized knowledge and skills, and may also open up higher-level job opportunities.

4. What industries are currently using numerical simulations, and is there a growing demand for these skills?

Numerical simulations are used in a wide range of industries, including aerospace, automotive, energy, finance, and healthcare. With the increasing reliance on data and technology in these industries, there is a growing demand for professionals with skills in numerical simulations. This trend is expected to continue in the coming years, making it a promising field for job opportunities.

5. What are some examples of real-world applications of numerical simulations in the industry?

Numerical simulations are used to model and predict complex physical phenomena, such as fluid dynamics, structural mechanics, and electromagnetics. Some specific examples of real-world applications include designing aircraft and spacecraft, optimizing energy production processes, and analyzing financial markets. Additionally, numerical simulations play a crucial role in scientific research, helping to understand and simulate natural phenomena such as weather patterns and molecular interactions.