Joint probability density function

In summary, the conversation discussed the joint density function of X and Y, with a given normalizing constant K. The value of K was determined and the marginal probability density function of Y was found. The expected value and variance of Y were evaluated, as well as the conditional density function and expected value of X given Y. The expected value of X and the covariance of X and Y were also calculated.
drawar
I'm practicing the past year papers to prepare for my coming finals. Please make necessary corrections if you feel something wrong with it, thanks!
Also, I'm supposed to do this in less than half an hour, so any suggestions on how to shorten this answer is really much appreciated!

Homework Statement

The joint density function of X and Y is given by
[itex]f(x,y) = \frac{K}{y}{e^{ - \frac{{{y^2}}}{2} - \frac{x}{y}}}[/itex] for [itex]0 < y < x < \infty [/itex]
and 0 elsewhere, where K is the normalizing constant.
(i) Determine the value of K.
(ii) Find the marginal probability density function of Y .
(iii) Evaluate E[Y] and Var(Y).
(iv) Find the conditional density function [itex]{f_{X|Y}}(x|y)[/itex] for 0 < y < x, and then evaluate E[X|Y].
(v) Evaluate E[X].
(vi) Evaluate Cov(X; Y ).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(i)
[itex]\int\limits_0^\infty {\int\limits_0^x {\frac{K}{y}{e^{ - \frac{{{y^2}}}{2} - \frac{x}{y}}}dydx = } } K\int\limits_0^\infty {\int\limits_y^\infty {\frac{1}{y}{e^{ - \frac{{{y^2}}}{2} - \frac{x}{y}}}dxdy = } } K\int\limits_0^\infty {\frac{1}{y}{e^{ - \frac{{{y^2}}}{2}}}} \int\limits_y^\infty {{e^{ - \frac{x}{y}}}} dxdy = K\int\limits_0^\infty {\frac{1}{y}{e^{ - \frac{{{y^2}}}{2}}}y{e^{ - 1}}} dy = K{e^{ - 1}}\sqrt {2\pi } \frac{1}{{\sqrt {2\pi } }}\int\limits_0^\infty {{e^{ - \frac{{{y^2}}}{2}}}} dy = K{e^{ - 1}}\sqrt {2\pi } \frac{1}{2}[/itex] because here I think y can be seen to follow a standard normal distribution whose graph is symmetrical about 0, so the area of the right half of the curve, which is equal to [itex]\frac{1}{{\sqrt {2\pi } }}\int\limits_0^\infty {{e^{ - \frac{{{y^2}}}{2}}}} dy[/itex] is 1/2.
The above integral must equal 1, hence we solve [itex]K = e\sqrt {\frac{2}{\pi }}[/itex]

(ii) It follows directly from (i) that [itex]{f_Y}(y) = K\int\limits_y^\infty {\frac{1}{y}{e^{ - \frac{{{y^2}}}{2} - \frac{x}{y}}}dx = K} {e^{ - \frac{{{y^2}}}{2}}}{e^{ - 1}} = {e^{ - \frac{{{y^2}}}{2}}}\sqrt {\frac{2}{\pi }} [/itex]

(iii)[itex]E[Y] = \int\limits_0^\infty y {e^{ - \frac{{{y^2}}}{2}}}\sqrt {\frac{2}{\pi }} dy = \sqrt {\frac{2}{\pi }} [/itex]

Let Z ~ N(0,1) => E[Z^2]=Var(Z)=1. Thus [itex]E[{Z^2}] = \frac{1}{{\sqrt {2\pi } }}\int\limits_{ - \infty }^\infty {{z^2}{e^{ - \frac{{{z^2}}}{2}}}dz = 1} \Rightarrow \frac{1}{{\sqrt {2\pi } }}\int\limits_0^\infty {{z^2}{e^{ - \frac{{{z^2}}}{2}}}dz = \frac{1}{2}} [/itex], and then

[itex]E[{Y^2}] = \sqrt {\frac{2}{\pi }} \int\limits_0^\infty {{y^2}} {e^{ - \frac{{{y^2}}}{2}}}dy = \sqrt {\frac{2}{\pi }} \int\limits_0^\infty {{z^2}{e^{ - \frac{{{z^2}}}{2}}}dz = } \sqrt {\frac{2}{\pi }} \times \frac{1}{2} \times \sqrt {2\pi } = 1[/itex]

[itex]Var(Y) = E[{Y^2}] - E{[Y]^2} = 1 - \frac{2}{\pi } = \frac{{\pi - 2}}{\pi }[/itex]

(iv)
[itex]{f_{X|Y}}(x|y) = \frac{{f(x,y)}}{{{f_Y}(y)}} = \frac{1}{y}{e^{1 - \frac{x}{y}}}[/itex]

[itex]E[X|Y = y] = \frac{e}{y}\int\limits_0^\infty {x{e^{ - \frac{x}{y}}}} dx = \frac{e}{y}\left( {\frac{{{y^2} + y}}{e}} \right) = y + 1[/itex]

(v)
[itex]E[X] = E[E[X|Y]] = E[Y + 1] = 1 + E[Y] = 1 + \sqrt {\frac{2}{\pi }} [/itex]

(vi)
[itex]E[XY] = E[E[XY|Y]] = E[YE[X|Y]] = E[Y(Y + 1)] = E[{Y^2}] + E[Y] = 1 + \sqrt {\frac{2}{\pi }} [/itex]

[itex]Cov(X,Y) = E[XY] - E[X]E[Y] = 1 + \sqrt {\frac{2}{\pi }} - \left( {1 + \sqrt {\frac{2}{\pi }} } \right)\sqrt {\frac{2}{\pi }} = 1 - \frac{2}{\pi }[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
drawar said:
(iv)
[itex]\frac{e}{y}\int\limits_0^\infty {x{e^{ - \frac{x}{y}}}} dx = \frac{e}{y}\left( {\frac{{{y^2} + y}}{e}} \right)[/itex]
I get something a bit different for that last step (and yes, I realize the range is actually from y, not from 0). Everything up to there looks right.

haruspex said:
I get something a bit different for that last step (and yes, I realize the range is actually from y, not from 0). Everything up to there looks right.

Oh, my bad, shouldn't be that careless. Thanks for pointing that out!

[itex]\begin{array}{l}
{\rm E}[X|Y = y] = \frac{e}{y}\int\limits_y^\infty {x{e^{ - \frac{x}{y}}}} dx = \frac{e}{y}\left( {\frac{{2{y^2}}}{e}} \right) = 2y \\
{\rm E}[X] = {\rm E}[{\rm E}[X|Y]] = {\rm E}[2Y] = 2{\rm E}[Y] = 2\sqrt {\frac{2}{\pi }} \\
{\rm E}[XY] = {\rm E}[{\rm E}[XY|Y]] = {\rm E}[Y{\rm E}[X|Y]] = {\rm E}[2{Y^2}] = 2{\rm E}[{Y^2}] = 2 \\
Cov(X,Y) = {\rm E}[XY] - {\rm E}[X]{\rm E}[Y] = 2 - \left( {2\sqrt {\frac{2}{\pi }} } \right)\sqrt {\frac{2}{\pi }} = 2 - \frac{4}{\pi } \\
\end{array}[/itex]

I hope it's fine now.

Last edited:
Yes, that all looks good.

haruspex said:
Yes, that all looks good.

Thank you so much! :)

Related to Joint probability density function

What is a joint probability density function (PDF)?

A joint probability density function (PDF) is a mathematical function that describes the probability of two or more random variables taking on specific values simultaneously. It is used to model the relationship between multiple variables and their probabilities in a probability distribution.

How is a joint PDF different from a single variable PDF?

A single variable PDF describes the probability distribution of a single random variable, while a joint PDF describes the probability distribution of two or more variables together. A joint PDF can help us understand the relationship between variables and how they impact each other's probabilities.

What is the difference between a joint PDF and a joint CDF?

A joint PDF is a function that describes the probabilities of multiple variables occurring simultaneously, while a joint CDF (cumulative distribution function) describes the probability of the variables being less than or equal to a given value. In other words, a joint CDF is the integral of a joint PDF.

How is a joint PDF used in statistics and data analysis?

A joint PDF is used in statistics and data analysis to model the relationship between multiple variables and their probabilities. It can be used to calculate conditional probabilities, which are useful in predicting outcomes and making decisions based on data. Joint PDFs are also commonly used in regression analysis and machine learning algorithms.

What are the properties of a joint PDF?

A joint PDF must satisfy the following properties:

• It must be non-negative for all possible values of the variables.
  • The integral over all possible values of the variables must equal 1.
  • The probabilities of each variable must be independent of each other.