Joule Expansion: Cooling Effects & Kinetic Energy

In summary: However, for real gases, Joule expansion can cause a cooling effect. This is because the potential energy of molecular interactions (V) increases. This energy is equal to the energy of the gas's kinetic (or moving) energy. So, in effect, temperature decreases when kinetic energy decreases.
Donkeyking
I read on 27 chapter from Blundell's Thermal Physics 2nd edition.

For ideal gases, Joule expansion doesn't cool gases. But for real gases, Joule expansion makes cooling effects. And this book(page 314) says that when gases expand, their potential energy of molecular interactions increases(since V is proprtional to 1/r). And this energy is exactly from kinetic energy of gas.(So makes kinetic energy of gas decrease)

What does the last sentence mean? Why does temperature decrease when kinetic energy of gas decrease?

I understand that low temperature makes average kinetic energy decrease(because of Boltzmann distribution, low temperature makes low average kinetic energy)..

Or... Is temperature defined by Boltzmann distribution? If a system has energy distribution of a temperature T, then does it said that the temperature of that system T?

I am sorry for this absurd question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Donkeyking said:
But for real gases, Joule expansion makes cooling effects.
Not always. It depends on the sign of the Joule-Thomson coefficient.

Donkeyking said:
Or... Is temperature defined by Boltzmann distribution? If a system has energy distribution of a temperature T, then does it said that the temperature of that system T?
It is not defined from the Boltzmann distribution, but at equilibrium, they are equivalent information. Fit a Boltzmann curve to the distribution of velocities and you will get the temperature.

DrClaude said:
Not always. It depends on the sign of the Joule-Thomson coefficient.
Dr Claude: Are you sure of this? Joule expansion is expansion into a vacuum as opposed to Joule Thomson isenthalpic expansion.

Philip Wood said:
Dr Claude: Are you sure of this? Joule expansion is expansion into a vacuum as opposed to Joule Thomson isenthalpic expansion.
Right. I misread that as Joule-Thomson. At least the rest of my post is still correct :redface:

Donkeyking said:
I read on 27 chapter from Blundell's Thermal Physics 2nd edition.

For ideal gases, Joule expansion doesn't cool gases. But for real gases, Joule expansion makes cooling effects. And this book(page 314) says that when gases expand, their potential energy of molecular interactions increases(since V is proprtional to 1/r). And this energy is exactly from kinetic energy of gas.(So makes kinetic energy of gas decrease)

What does the last sentence mean? Why does temperature decrease when kinetic energy of gas decrease?

I understand that low temperature makes average kinetic energy decrease(because of Boltzmann distribution, low temperature makes low average kinetic energy)..

I am sorry for this absurd question.

Temperature is average kinetic energy of the molecules.

Joule (free) expansion produces a very small change in temperature. Masuring the Joule coefficient is very difficult. As you say, for an ideal gas the Joule coefficient = 0.

What is Joule expansion?

Joule expansion is a process in thermodynamics where a gas expands into an empty space, leading to a decrease in temperature.

How does Joule expansion lead to cooling effects?

Joule expansion causes a decrease in temperature because as the gas expands, it does work against the surroundings, leading to a decrease in the internal energy of the gas. This decrease in energy is reflected as a decrease in temperature.

What is the relationship between Joule expansion and kinetic energy?

Joule expansion is related to the kinetic energy of gas molecules. As the gas expands, the molecules move further apart, and their kinetic energy decreases. This results in a decrease in temperature.

What are some real-life applications of Joule expansion?

Joule expansion is used in refrigeration systems, air conditioners, and heat pumps. These systems use the cooling effect of Joule expansion to keep our homes and buildings cool and comfortable.

How does the volume of the gas affect Joule expansion?

The greater the volume of the gas, the greater the cooling effect of Joule expansion. This is because a larger volume of gas is expanding, leading to a larger decrease in temperature.