Joule Mobile Mass Transporter Project

In summary, the Joule Mobile doesn't work because the mass falls down slowly and the pulley only goes about 3 meters. The friction may be the issue. If the mass is falling the total length and the axle-wheel ratio follows my work, then the only reason the cart isn't traveling its full distance is friction on the wheels or slip within the pulleys. Make your cart small.
ieatoranges
Objective: To build a device that will transport a 1 kilogram mass a distance of 10 meters using the energy released as the mass falls a distance 10 centimeters.

Rules:
1. The only source of energy that may be used to move the vehicle is a 1 kg mass falling 10 cm.
2. All parts of the vehicle, including the 1 kg mass, must stay together for the entire trip
3. After the vehicle begins to move, it must be self-guided. I thought of using a pulley connected to an axle (with string pulling the 1 kg mass down on the pulley), but I don't know 1) how to connect a pulley to a cart-like-thing, 2) what materials to use to be lightweight, and 3) how to release the string without it rewinding like a yo-yo.

I thought of using CD's for the 4 wheels. I don't know what would be an effective axle, though. Also I thought of using an empty spool for the reel part of the pulley. Now it's a matter of attaching the reel to some sort of construction to hold UP the mass.

If anyone could help, I'd appreciate it! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
ieatoranges said:
Objective: To build a device that will transport a 1 kilogram mass a distance of 10 meters using the energy released as the mass falls a distance 10 centimeters.

Rules:
1. The only source of energy that may be used to move the vehicle is a 1 kg mass falling 10 cm.
2. All parts of the vehicle, including the 1 kg mass, must stay together for the entire trip
3. After the vehicle begins to move, it must be self-guided.

I thought of using a pulley connected to an axle (with string pulling the 1 kg mass down on the pulley), but I don't know 1) how to connect a pulley to a cart-like-thing, 2) what materials to use to be lightweight, and 3) how to release the string without it rewinding like a yo-yo.

I thought of using CD's for the 4 wheels. I don't know what would be an effective axle, though. Also I thought of using an empty spool for the reel part of the pulley. Now it's a matter of attaching the reel to some sort of construction to hold UP the mass.

If anyone could help, I'd appreciate it! Thank you!

How strict is your teacher? Do you think something cheap would work for him, elsewise, let's look at our other options.

I think it's safe to say that [tex]\frac{l}{d}=\frac{r}{R}[/tex], where [tex]l=0.100[/tex]m, [tex]d=10.00[/tex]m, and [tex]r,R[/tex] are appropriate radii of the axle and the wheels such that the equality is true. This is neglecting friction, so you'll want to make [tex]R >> r[/tex] to account for the energy lost due to friction.

My teacher isn't that strict, anything is ok as long as it follows those rules.

I built my Joule Mobile, but it doesn't work! The mass falls down REALLY slowly and with the pulley, only goes about 3 meters. Is it the friction? I'm not sure why it is not working properly.. I would think that theoretically it makes perfect sense.

ieatoranges said:
My teacher isn't that strict, anything is ok as long as it follows those rules.

I built my Joule Mobile, but it doesn't work! The mass falls down REALLY slowly and with the pulley, only goes about 3 meters. Is it the friction? I'm not sure why it is not working properly.. I would think that theoretically it makes perfect sense.

If the mass is falling the total length and the axle-wheel ratio follows my work, then the only reason the cart isn't traveling its full distance is friction on the wheels or slip within the pulleys.

For the minimum ratio between the wheel and axle, we solve the inequality. Make the wheels of radius, [tex]R=1.00[/tex]m. That puts the radius of the axle to be, [tex]r=0.01[/tex]m (1 centimeter). If this is what you're doing, then we can solve for friction using energy formulas:

[tex]U_i+K_i = U_f+K_f+W\rightarrow mgh=W=0.980655[/tex]J. From this, we can analyze the frictional forces acting upon the system to solve for some of the necessary information:

Considering [tex]0.980655=W=Fd=10F_f=10C_rN=10(1+m)gC_r\rightarrow C_r(1+m)<0.01[/tex]. From this, using standard rolling friction values for 'smooth' surfaces (non-rubber), we'll find [tex](1+m)<1.5[/tex]kg, where [tex]m[/tex] is the mass of the cart. Make your cart small.

Related to Joule Mobile Mass Transporter Project

1. What is the Joule Mobile Mass Transporter Project?

The Joule Mobile Mass Transporter Project is a scientific research project that aims to develop a method for transporting large masses of material using renewable energy sources.

2. How does the Joule Mobile Mass Transporter work?

The Joule Mobile Mass Transporter uses a combination of solar and wind energy to power a system of electromagnets that levitate and propel the mass being transported. This allows for efficient and eco-friendly transportation of heavy loads.

3. What are the potential applications of the Joule Mobile Mass Transporter?

The Joule Mobile Mass Transporter has a wide range of potential applications, including transporting materials for construction projects, moving goods in logistics and shipping industries, and even transporting large vehicles or machinery.

4. What are the advantages of using the Joule Mobile Mass Transporter over traditional transportation methods?

The Joule Mobile Mass Transporter offers several advantages over traditional transportation methods, including reduced carbon emissions, lower operating costs, and the ability to transport heavier loads without the need for fossil fuels.

5. What are the current challenges facing the development of the Joule Mobile Mass Transporter?

The main challenges facing the development of the Joule Mobile Mass Transporter include ensuring the safety and stability of the transported masses, as well as finding ways to optimize the system for different types of terrain and weather conditions. Additionally, further research and development is needed to improve the efficiency and scalability of the technology.