How Does Joule Thomson Expansion Affect Gas Temperature?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between a free expansion and a Joule Thomson expansion, where work is done causing a change in internal energy. The direction of work (on or by the fluid) depends on the initial and final states and properties of the fluid. The process of determining the work done in a Joule Thomson expansion is also explained, with an example of calculating work before and after a porous plug. The conversation also mentions the effect on internal energy and the possible change in temperature due to deviations from ideal gas behavior.
Rahulx084
Wikipedia says,
Unlike a free expansion , in Joule Thomson expansion work is done causing the change in internal energy. Whether the internal energy increases or decreases is determined by whether work is done on or by the fluid; that is determined by the initial and final states of the expansion and properties of the fluid.

How we would determine work done by or on the gas in this expansion?

This is what I was thinking,

Work done before the porous plug = -(Pressure of gas before throttling)/(density of the gas before throttling)= W1

Work done after throttling= +(Pressure of gas after expansion)/(Density of the gas after throttling)= W2

Total Work(W)= W1+W2

If W >0 , then the gas cools down
W<0 , then the gas heats up

Am I going in right direction?

I have considered work done by system as positive in sign convention.

[Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your assessment of the work done per unit mass of gas passing through the porous plug by its surroundings is correct (i.e., in line with the derivation of the open system, control volume, version of the first law of thermodynamics). And the Wiki statement about its effect on the internal energy per unit mass of gas is also correct (since the change in enthalpy per unit mass is zero). But I don't think that this necessarily says anything about the change in temperature, since the internal energy is a function of both temperature and pressure (i.e., the JT effect depends on the deviation of the gas from ideal gas behavior). This is because the deviations from ideal behavior of both Pv and U contribute to this.

1. What is Joule Thomson expansion?

Joule Thomson expansion is a thermodynamic process in which a gas expands into a region of lower pressure and temperature, causing its temperature to decrease.

2. How does Joule Thomson expansion work?

When a gas expands into a lower pressure region, the molecules of the gas experience a decrease in intermolecular forces and collide with each other less frequently, resulting in a decrease in temperature.

3. What is the significance of Joule Thomson expansion?

Joule Thomson expansion is important in the study of thermodynamics and gas behavior, as it helps to understand how gases behave under different conditions and how to control their temperature.

4. What factors affect Joule Thomson expansion?

The main factors that affect Joule Thomson expansion are the initial pressure and temperature of the gas, the type of gas, and the Joule Thomson coefficient, which is a measure of how much the temperature changes for a given change in pressure.

5. How is Joule Thomson expansion used in real life?

Joule Thomson expansion is used in various industrial and scientific applications, such as in refrigeration systems, natural gas processing, and in the production of liquefied gases. It is also used in the study of gas behavior and in the development of new technologies.