Judy Lied: Should Louise Tell Mother?

• Thread starter no name
  • Start date
In summary: Judy still has five dollars, right? probably a lot of money for judy. might be enough to keep my mouth closed. There is another possibility: that Judy has five dollars, but Louise knows she has more. In this case, Louise might offer to give Judy more money in order to keep her secret.
no name
Judy was a twelve-year-old girl. Her mother promised her that she could go to a special rock concert coming to their town if she saved up from baby-sitting and lunch money to buy a ticket to the concert. She managed to save up the fifteen dollars the ticket cost plus another five dollars. But then her mother changed her mind and told Judy that she had to spend the money on new clothes for school. Judy was disappointed and decided to go to the concert anyway. She bought a ticket and told her mother that she had only been able to save five dollars. That Saturday she went to the performance and told her mother that she was spending the day with a friend. A week passed without her mother finding out. Judy then told her older sister, Louise, that she had gone to the performance and had lied to her mother about it. Louise wonders whether to tell their mother what Judy did.

Should Louise, the older sister, tell their mother that Judy lied about the money or should she keep quiet? Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you looking for the morally correct answer or what I would do as an individual?

both ... morally and what if u were judy ?

If I were Judy in that situation I would have kept my lip zipped and not told Louise. Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Judy and Louise wouldn't be Joe's sisters would they? :biggrin:

If Judy confessed to lying, it would be appropriate for Louise to recommend that Judy tell their mother the truth.

Astronuc said:
Judy and Louise wouldn't be Joe's sisters would they? :biggrin:

If Judy confessed to lying, it would be appropriate for Louise to recommend that Judy tell their mother the truth.
Are you old or something!?

Judy will burst out laughing and ask Louise if she's told her mother about her boyfriend, Jack, yet Kids have to band together and never tell their ...

Uhh, wait a minute. I almost forgot. I'm kind of old, too, and have teenage kids.

Yeah, yeah, Louise should tell Judy to tell her mother the truth. And Judy should listen to her. :rofl:

I don't know what possessed Judy to tell Louise, but Louise should just keep her mouth shut, unless their mom asks directly (don't lie to mom, but the damage is already done, so leave it to Judy to deal with it if mom doesn't ask). It would be a little different if it was before the concert and Louise knew Judy was going to sneak out before she did it. Then it might be more appropriate for Louise to clue mom in. It also depends on whether Judy just told Louise everything, or if she swore Louise to secrecy before telling her. If there was no agreement of secrecy, then Louise can blab to anyone she wants.

BobG said:
Are you old or something!? :rofl:
Yeah, Bob, I am one of your contemporaries - old with teenage kids.

On the other hand, that is the morality/ethics I have always practiced. :smile:

I was the youngest of 7 children..If I would of told mom, they all would of beat me up. I say keep your mouth shut and stay alive!

Things of the past belong in the past. Anybody who would bring up the past for the sole purpose of hurting somebody is just a jerk.

I would have just given her 15 bucks and two quarters: One for calling me if she couldn't get home and the other one in case she lost the first one.

judy still has five dollars, right? probably a lot of money for judy. might be enough to keep my mouth closed. course five dollars isn't that much to me. is there anything else judy might throw into make the deal sweeter?

1. What is the plot of "Judy Lied: Should Louise Tell Mother?"

The story follows two sisters, Judy and Louise, who have a strained relationship. When Louise discovers that Judy has been lying to their mother about her grades, she must decide whether to tell their mother the truth or keep the secret to protect her sister.

2. Who are the main characters in "Judy Lied: Should Louise Tell Mother?"

The main characters are Judy and Louise, the two sisters at the center of the story. Their mother also plays a significant role in the plot.

3. What is the theme of "Judy Lied: Should Louise Tell Mother?"

The theme of the story is the complexity of family relationships and the ethical dilemma of choosing between honesty and loyalty.

4. Is "Judy Lied: Should Louise Tell Mother?" based on a true story?

No, the story is fictional. However, it may reflect real-life situations and challenges that siblings and families face.

5. What is the significance of the title "Judy Lied: Should Louise Tell Mother?"

The title captures the central conflict of the story - Judy's lie and Louise's moral dilemma. It also hints at the bond and trust (or lack thereof) between the sisters.