Jumping vertically on a moving train....

• Thread starter Marvinski87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Train
In summary: Welcome to PF!In summary, Newton's first law states that an object either remains at rest or continues to move at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by a force. The Principle of Relativity states that the laws of motion are relative to an observer.
Marvinski87
I'm clueless when it comes to physics, so forgive me if this sounds stupid. But fot years I've wondered something, and no one seems to have an answer for it.

If you are standing inside a moving bus or train, and you jump on the spot (straight up,not in the direction that the vehicle is moving) then how come you land on the same bit of flooring that you started on? The vehicle is moving, so shouldn't it have left you behind slightly,thus you land further down the vehicle?? If that makes sense? Someone enlighten me please

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

This is Newton's first law:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_laws_of_motion
First law: When viewed in an inertial reference frame, an object either remains at rest or continues to move at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by a force.[2][3

Or more broadly, the Principle of Relativity:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galilean_invariance
Galileo Galilei first described this principle in 1632 in hisDialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems using the example of a ship traveling at constant velocity, without rocking, on a smooth sea; any observer doing experiments below the deck would not be able to tell whether the ship was moving or stationary.

Marvinski87 said:
The vehicle is moving, so shouldn't it have left you behind slightly,thus you land further down the vehicle??

no ... think about it a moment before I give an answer

what is the immediate relationship between you, everything else in the vehicle and the vehicle ?

your same Q could be asked for when you jump up off the ground (up off the earth)
after all it's rotation speed is much faster ... equatorial speed of 465.1 m/s, 1,674.4 km/h or 1,040.4 mphDave

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys. But let me stress something. I'm thick as s**t. So russ watters I'm afraid that went over my head a bit... could you explain a bit simpler please mate. Much appreciated

Marvinski87 said:
The vehicle is moving
Movement is relative. The vehicle is not moving relative to you.

You, everything in it and the train, bus etc are moving at the same speed

That's what I wanted you to figure out

So when you jump up, you are still moving at that speed, there is nothing to slow you down,
so you end up landing in the same place you jumped from

davenn said:
You, everything in it and the train, bus etc are moving at the same speed

That's what I wanted you to figure out

So when you jump up, you are still moving at that speed, there is nothing to slow you down,
so you end up landing in the same place you jumped from

Right ok I think I get it...So say if you were on the roof of the train as opposed to inside,and you jumped..you wouldn't land on the same spot then would you?

Marvinski87 said:
Right ok I think I get it...So say if you were on the roof of the train as opposed to inside, and you jumped..you wouldn't land on the same spot then would you?

that's true, because (say on a calm, no wind day) there would still be significant wind resistance against you and would cause you to land behind the point you jumped from

adding a wind from any direction will vary the results

Dave

1. How does jumping vertically on a moving train affect your height?

Jumping vertically on a moving train does not affect your height. Your height remains the same regardless of whether you are on a stationary surface or a moving one.

2. Is it easier or harder to jump vertically on a moving train compared to a stationary surface?

It is generally harder to jump vertically on a moving train because your body is already in motion, making it more difficult to generate the necessary force and control for a successful jump.

3. Will jumping vertically on a moving train make you travel further?

No, jumping vertically on a moving train will not make you travel further. Your horizontal distance will be determined by the train's speed and your vertical distance will be determined by the force of your jump.

4. Can jumping vertically on a moving train cause motion sickness?

It is possible for jumping on a moving train to cause motion sickness, especially if you are prone to it. The combination of your body's movement and the train's movement can disrupt your sense of balance and lead to nausea or dizziness.

5. Is it dangerous to jump vertically on a moving train?

Jumping vertically on a moving train can be dangerous if you are not careful. There is a risk of falling and injuring yourself, especially if the train is moving at a high speed. It is important to always exercise caution and proper technique when attempting to jump on a moving train.