Running & Jumping Backwards on a Moving Train

• Thread starter afonn96
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Train
In summary, running and jumping backwards on a moving train is a challenging and dangerous activity that requires a high level of skill and physical fitness. It involves running in the opposite direction of the train's movement while maintaining balance and jumping onto and off of moving train cars. This activity is popular among thrill-seekers and stunt performers, but it should be approached with extreme caution as it can easily lead to accidents and injuries. Proper training and safety precautions are essential for anyone attempting to engage in this activity.
afonn96
Hello. I've searched a lot on the internett on jumping inside a train, and I do only find solutions for the question "When u jump inside a train will u land at the same spot, whereas the train is moving u should land bit back".
What happens if you are running and jumping backwards, would you jump further than when the train are standing still?
http://i62.tinypic.com/2ev67uf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you are moving with the velocity speed as train, your position and direction changes with the same amount every time. If the train is not accelerating, and if you jump up, you, according to Newton's first law, will move towards the direction you moved before,with the same speed. So you will land on the same position you jumped from.

The surface of the Earth is moving because of the Earth's rotation about its axis; this speed is many hundreds of kilometers an hour, faster than any train. Is jumping towards the east, with the motion, any different than jumping towards the west, against the motion?

Last edited:
afonn96 said:
What happens if you are running and jumping backwards, would you jump further than when the train are standing still?
Jump further with respect to whom? The train? Or the earth?

Doc Al said:
Jump further with respect to whom? The train? Or the earth?

Or the Solar system or the Milkyway? I think the problem is getting more complex when we include all these

adjacent said:
Or the Solar system or the Milkyway? I think the problem is getting more complex when we include all these
Which is why I did not include them. But the train and the Earth (the track) are essential frames of reference.

Nugatory said:
The surface of the Earth moving because of the Earth's rotation about its axis; this speed is many hundreds of kilometers an hour, faster than any train. Is jumping towards the east, with the motion, any different than jumping towards the west, against the motion?

That is actually what I want to find out. After reading about Galileo's ship I don't think ther are any difference.

afonn96 said:
That is actually what I want to find out. After reading about Galileo's ship I don't think ther are any difference.

No, no difference aside from the Coriolis effect which will be utterly negligible in this case.

afonn96 said:

That is indeed correct.
The train, Galileo's ship, the surface of the earth... They're all basically the same problem with the same answer. For many people it's easiest to see what's going on when they think about the earth, because we're already in the habit of thinking that the Earth's surface is stationary.

afonn96 said:
My question was if the participans in a Long Jump competition inside a train would jump longer if they jumped as i illustrated her http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ev67uf&s=8

You do know that our Earth is also moving, with respect to some other reference frame, don't you? So why would someone jumping on a train be any different than what you already know about someone jumping on our ordinary earth?

Zz.

1. How is it possible to run and jump backwards on a moving train?

It is possible to run and jump backwards on a moving train because of the principle of inertia. The train and everything inside it, including you, are moving at the same speed and in the same direction. When you run and jump backwards, you are still moving at the same speed as the train, so you don't fall off.

2. Is it safe to run and jump backwards on a moving train?

This depends on the speed of the train and the stability of the train. If the train is moving at a high speed or if it is unstable, it may not be safe to run and jump backwards as you could lose your balance and fall off. It is important to always be cautious and aware of your surroundings when attempting this activity.

3. What are the benefits of running and jumping backwards on a moving train?

Running and jumping backwards on a moving train can improve your balance, coordination, and agility. It also requires a high level of focus and concentration, making it a great exercise for the mind as well as the body.

4. Are there any risks involved with running and jumping backwards on a moving train?

As with any physical activity, there is always a risk of injury. It is important to be cautious and make sure you have enough space and a stable surface to perform the activity. It is also important to have proper training and experience before attempting this activity.

5. Can anyone run and jump backwards on a moving train?

No, not everyone can safely run and jump backwards on a moving train. It requires a certain level of physical fitness, balance, and coordination. It is important to have proper training and experience before attempting this activity, and to always prioritize safety above all else.