Jumpstarting a dead car battery

In summary, to connect two cars for a jump start, you need to connect the negative jumper cable to the negative terminal of the dead battery in the functional car, and attach the negative jumper cable to a grounded metal component in the car that contains the dead battery.
lucas_
When using two cars to jumpstart a dead battery. Why can't you connect the negative jumper cable to the negative terminal of the dead battery (which is what I commonly do) but instead need to connect the negative jumper cable to grounded metal component?https://www.wikihow.com/Charge-a-Dead-Car-Battery
"Connect one end of the negative jumper cable to the negative terminal on the functional, charged battery. In most cases, the negative jumper cable is black.

Attach the other end of the negative jumper cable to a grounded metal component of the car that contains the dead battery. This will ground the car that contains the dead battery upon jump-starting. You can attach the ground cable to the frame, chassis, or another component that is reasonably clean and free of paint or oxidation. "

Engineering news on Phys.org
It is because there might be sparks at the connection point just before making the connection. Since lead acid batteries make hydrogen, we worry about explosion hazard. If there may be sparks, we prefer the sparks to be as far away from the battery as possible. At least, that is the way I learned it.

Likes lucas_ and DaveE
There only two reasons I can think of: 1. To get you away from the battery when making the last connection in case the dead battery explodes. 2. To prevent a spark at the battery during the connection process, which might possibly ignite any hydrogen gas being expelled from the dead battery as it starts being charged by the good battery.

In the ’old days’ we always connected the two battery terminals directly to one another; negative to negative and positive to positive. However, I always tested for a very high current draw by ‘striking’ the last terminal to be connected to its counterpart. If there was a huge spark, while doing this, it would tell us there was a lot of current flow for some reason, and allowed time to look for the cause. There will be some spark because the good battery will start charging the dead battery when the connection is made but, it should not look like a welder.
Regardless of which method you use, it is always helpful to ‘strike’ the terminal to its intended location before making a permanent connection, just to get some idea how much current will flow. But, recognize you are taking a risk if you do this at the battery terminals! There might be hydrogen gas in the battery which could ignite.

Last edited:
Likes lucas_
AZFIREBALL said:
There only two reasons I can think of: 1. To get you away from the battery when making the last connection in case the dead battery explodes. 2. To prevent a spark at the battery during the connection process, which might possibly ignite any hydrogen gas being expelled from the dead battery as it starts being charged by the good battery.

In the ’old days’ we always connected the two battery terminals directly to one another; negative to negative and positive to positive. However, I always tested for a very high current draw by ‘striking’ the last terminal to be connected to its counterpart. If there was a huge spark, while doing this, it would tell us there was a lot of current flow for some reason, and allowed time to look for the cause. There will be some spark because the good battery will start charging the dead battery when the connection is made but, it should not look like a welder.
Regardless of which method you use, it is always helpful to ‘strike’ the terminal to its intended location before making a permanent connection, just to get some idea how much current will flow. But, recognize you are taking a risk if you do this at the battery terminals! There might be hydrogen gas in the battery which could ignite.

But the car metal is not connected to the dead battery negative terminal at all, how can it complete the circuit?

The dead battery must be installed in the non-functional car as normally required, with the negative lead attached to the car's metal surface to provide a ground connection for all the operating systems within the car. If the negative lead is not connected between the battery and the car...the car will never start! It is always better to attach the negative lead of the 'jump-start' cables to the engine block somewhere, in case the engine-to-chassis ground strap is defective or missing.

Last edited:
Likes lucas_
And you make that connection last. First connect positive to positive. This way if you slip and touch the car chassis there won't be a closed circuit yet. The last connection from negative to chassis is the one that will make a spark.
However, I wonder if this is a real concern. It's hard to collect hydrogen gas, especially since you've probably opened the engine compartment up to do all of this. Are there many real examples of hydrogen explosions, or is this a myth? It seems to me the real danger is in shorting the battery and "exploding" it that way.

Likes lucas_
As others have mentioned, the risk is igniting any hydrogen gas being given off by batteries. If you don't think it can happen there are probably enough examples on the net to convince you.
Lucas, I don't know what sort of car you drive, but let me assure you that the metal of the engine and car chassis is most definately connected to the negative of the battery. Unless of course you happen to have very old english car(model unknown) which did for a while have the positive to chassis(collectors will know which one).

Likes lucas_
DaveE said:
It's hard to collect hydrogen gas, especially since you've probably opened the engine compartment up to do all of this.

Hydrogen that has accumulated in and around the engine compartment is not much concern. It will be a negligible amount and in the unlikely event you manage to ignite it it will burn off almost imperceptibly. As DaveE noticed it will float away rapidly on opening the hood and likely long before you open the hood.

Hydrogen trapped in and escaping directly from the battery is very much a concern. Igniting that can cause the battery to explode and spray sulfuric acid and shrapnel around. In general it might be a rare occurrence but there is essentially zero effort to mitigate the problem so why not?

BoB

Likes lucas_

1. How do I jumpstart a dead car battery?

To jumpstart a dead car battery, you will need a set of jumper cables and another vehicle with a working battery. First, park the two vehicles close enough for the jumper cables to reach both batteries. Then, connect the positive (+) red cable to the positive terminal on the dead battery, and the other end to the positive terminal on the working battery. Next, connect the negative (-) black cable to the negative terminal on the working battery, and the other end to an unpainted metal surface on the dead car. Start the working car and let it run for a few minutes before attempting to start the dead car. Once the dead car starts, let it run for a few minutes before disconnecting the cables in the reverse order.

2. What can cause a car battery to die?

There are several reasons why a car battery can die. Some common causes include leaving the lights or radio on for an extended period of time, a faulty charging system, or old age. Extreme temperatures can also affect the lifespan of a car battery.

3. How long should I let my car run after jumpstarting the battery?

After jumpstarting a dead car battery, you should let the car run for at least 15-20 minutes to allow the alternator to recharge the battery. This will ensure that the battery has enough charge to start the car on its own in the future.

4. Can I jumpstart a car on my own?

While it is possible to jumpstart a car on your own, it is recommended to have someone help you. This is because handling the jumper cables and connecting them to the batteries can be challenging for one person. Additionally, having a second person to start the working car can make the process easier and safer.

5. What should I do if my car battery keeps dying?

If your car battery keeps dying, it may be a sign of a larger issue. It is best to have your car inspected by a mechanic to determine the cause of the battery drain. It could be a faulty charging system, a parasitic draw, or an aging battery that needs to be replaced.