Junior Chem Eng: Is Taking 5 Courses Possible?

In summary, the individual is a junior in chemical engineering and has a strong academic background in calculus, ODE, and physics. They are considering taking an intense schedule consisting of Intermediate Modern Physics, Mass and Energy Transport, Organic Chemistry 1, Physical Chemistry 1, and Introduction to Electrical Engineering. Their motivation is to learn and they see this as an opportunity to gain a deeper understanding of various STEM fields. However, others may question the feasibility of this schedule and the potential impact on their grades and personal life.
John Jacke
I'm about to be a junior in chemical engineering. I've passed all my calculus/ODE and general physics/chem courses. The most intense schedule I've taken at once was calculus 3, ODE, and general physics 2 (introductory E/M at my school) with a lab component. I did very well in each course and could have taken another, so I'm not doubting my ability to handle heavier work. I just need to know if this is humanly possible before I attempt it:

1. Intermediate Modern Physics (QM, Cosmology, and relativity)
  2. Mass and energy transport 1 (Engineering course for ChmE)
  3. Organic chemistry 1
  4. Physical Chemistry 1
  5. Introduction to Electrical Engineering ("This course is an introduction to electrical engineering concepts for non-electrical engineering majors. Covers a broad range of topics including basic circuit theory, semiconductor devices, instrumentation, amplifiers, and machines.")

Physics news on Phys.org
Anything is possible, but what I would like to know is why would you want to do that to yourself? Are you in some kind of rush to graduate? What's your motivation?

Personally, I don't think it likely that anyone would do well with a schedule like that. Your grades might suffer, you may not really learn the material or you might not have a life for 4 months. Mass and energy transport alone is a serious amount of work, perhaps the most demanding course I had in college (I did nuclear engineering).

Again, I see no reason to do this to oneself.

I want to do this schedule because to me it incorporates a lot of interesting things in one semester. The physics course is for a minor. I'd learn QM in both Pchem and Physics which I think would be awesome because they'd be learned different in each (I'm assuming). Having two different sciences - organic and physics - then p chem to top it off/draw parallels would be awesome. Intro to EE is meh, I figured since I know basic circuit theory it would be an okay class. If anything I'd drop intro to EE and take the rest. I never considered the difficulty of mass transport, lol. To answer your question: My motivation is to learn. I see this as not 4 months of no life and torture but of increased intuition in STEM fields and more knowledge about the world around us which is awesome.

1. Can I handle the workload of taking 5 courses in Junior Chem Eng?

It depends on your individual abilities and study habits. Some students may be able to handle 5 courses while others may find it too overwhelming. It's important to assess your schedule and workload before making a decision.

2. Will taking 5 courses affect my grades negatively?

It's possible that taking 5 courses may affect your grades if you are unable to manage your time effectively. However, if you are dedicated and organized, you may still be able to maintain good grades. It's important to prioritize and stay on top of your coursework.

3. Is it recommended to take 5 courses in Junior Chem Eng?

It ultimately depends on your academic and career goals. If you feel that taking 5 courses will help you graduate on time or give you a competitive edge in the job market, then it may be worth considering. However, it's important to weigh the potential benefits against the potential challenges.

4. How can I manage my time effectively if I take 5 courses?

Some strategies for managing your time effectively while taking 5 courses include creating a schedule and sticking to it, breaking down assignments into smaller tasks, and prioritizing your workload. It's also important to take breaks and make time for self-care to avoid burnout.

5. Will taking 5 courses in Junior Chem Eng prepare me for a career in the field?

Taking 5 courses in Junior Chem Eng can provide you with a well-rounded education and give you a strong foundation for a career in the field. However, it's important to also gain practical experience through internships or research opportunities to supplement your coursework and make yourself more competitive in the job market.