Is a Differentiable Function Always Limited on a Closed or Open Interval?

• MHB
  • Thread starter hopelesss
  • Start date
In summary, f is limited on the interval [x1, x2] if there exists a constant K such that | f (x) | ≤ K for all x ∈ [x1, x2].
hopelesss
A function f is called restricted ( "bounded") on an interval I if there
is a constant K such that | f (x) | ≤ K for all x ∈ I.
(1) Let f be a differentiable function on a closed interval [x1, x2], where x1 and x2
are real numbers such that x1 < x2. Justify that f then is limited.
(2) Let f be a differentiable function in an open interval (x1, x2), where x1 and x2
are real numbers such that x1 < x2. Show that if the derivative f' is
limited in (X1, x2), then f is also limited.

can someone help with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
comma said:
A function f is called restricted ( "bounded") on an interval I if there
is a constant K such that | f (x) | ≤ K for all x ∈ I.
(1) Let f be a differentiable function on a closed interval [x1, x2], where x1 and x2
are real numbers such that x1 < x2. Justify that f then is limited.
(2) Let f be a differentiable function in an open interval (x1, x2), where x1 and x2
are real numbers such that x1 < x2. Show that if the derivative f' is
limited in (X1, x2), then f is also limited.

can someone help with this?
Problem (1) can be solved as follows: It is a general fact that the image of a compact set in a topological space under a continuous map is again compact. More precisely, if $f:X\to Y$ is a continuous map, and $X$ is compact, then $f(X)$ is also compact. Now we have a differentiable map $f:[x_1, x_2]\to \mathbf R$. Since diifferentiable maps are in particular continuous, we have $f([x_1, x_2])$ is a compact subspace of $\mathbf R$. Now a compact subspace of $\mathbf R$ is bounded, and thus we have $f$ is bounded.

(In case you do not know the basics of topology, there is a way to do it in a more elementary way. I will post the more elementary solution in case you need it.)

For problem 2), are you acquainted with the mean value theorem for differentiable maps?

thanks for your reply.
1) I had to turn up topology in the book's index and its chapter 10.
We did not have that chapter yet.

2) yes we learned about the mean value theorem a few weeks ago. i see in my notebook in did many examples using this theorem. But it was more like ''show that sin x <x for all 0''.

comma said:
thanks for your reply.
1) I had to turn up topology in the book's index and its chapter 10.
We did not have that chapter yet.

2) yes we learned about the mean value theorem a few weeks ago. i see in my notebook in did many examples using this theorem. But it was more like ''show that sin x <x for all 0''.

I will write down an elementary solution for (1) in some time. For (2) you can proceed like this:

Let $M$ be such that $|f'(x)|<M$ for all $x\in (x_1, x_2)$. Such an $M$ can be found because $f'$ is assumed to be bounded in $(x_1 ,x_2)$. Now if $y_1, y_2\in (x_1, x_2)$ with $y_1< y_2$, we have, by the mean value theorem, that there is a $y\in (y_1, y_2)$ such that
$$f'(y)=\frac{f(y_2)-f(y_1)}{y_2-y_1}$$
Thus
$$\left|\frac{f(y_2)-f(y_1)}{y_2-y_1}\right|\leq M$$
giving
$$|f(y_2)-f(y_1)|\leq M(y_2-y_1) \leq M(x_2-x_1)$$
Now can you see why $f$ is bounded in $(x_1, x_2)$?

It is a little strange that you specifically define "bounded" and "restricted" but then ask about a function being "limited" which you did not define.

1. What does it mean for a function to be limited?

A limited function is one that has a finite upper and lower bound, meaning that its values do not approach infinity or negative infinity as the input approaches a certain value.

2. How can you prove that a function is limited?

A function can be proven to be limited by finding its upper and lower bounds, or by using mathematical techniques such as the squeeze theorem or the intermediate value theorem.

3. Can a function be limited at some points but not at others?

Yes, a function can be limited at certain points but not at others. For example, a function may approach infinity at one point but have a finite value at another point.

4. How does being limited impact the behavior of a function?

A limited function will have a finite range, meaning that it will not have extreme values that approach infinity or negative infinity. This can make it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of the function.

5. Are there any real-world applications of limited functions?

Yes, limited functions are used in many real-world applications, such as in economics to model supply and demand, in physics to describe the movement of objects, and in finance to calculate compound interest. In these contexts, limited functions are useful because they represent realistic and practical scenarios.