Just completed B.S in Engineering & passed my FE. What next?

• Job Skills
  • Thread starter icesalmon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary: EIT exam. The PE exam is very much about project design. In summary, the EIT is a good sign that you will be able to pass the PE exam when you gain enough experience to take that exam. When you hit the job market, you will be at a big advantage over other graduates that haven't bothered to take or haven't passed the EIT exam. The EIT exam is verification that you learned and remembered what you were taught as an undergrad. Try to be selective in who you work for ie it is in you best interest to work for a firm with serveral PEs as you need several PEs for future reference when you apply for your
icesalmon
I studied electrical engineering and enjoyed power and controls more than other subjects but I’d like to keep preparing for a job in that field and completed the FE so i can, one day, get my PE license in that area. What can i do to keep myself sharp and learn new, valuable things while i update my resume and hit the job hunt full time? What IS important for new EITs to be polished up on/familiar with?

Edit: what opportunities does the military give in such a field? Do they hire engineers to do large scale power distribution projects? Does anyone know if a path to a PE license is valued in the military? Or is it mostly something people in civilian jobs get?

Last edited:
Likes BigDon and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Congradulations, passing the EIT is a good sign that you will be able to pass the PE exam when you gain enough experience to take that exam. When you hit the job market, you will be at a big advantage over other graduates that haven't bothered to take or haven't passed the EIT exam. The EIT exam is verification that you learned and remembered what you were taught as an undergrad.

Try to be selective in who you work for ie it is in you best interest to work for a firm with serveral PEs as you need several PEs for future reference when you apply for your PE license. Working for a single consultant may get you lots of tutorage, but not as much exposure to other engineers.

As far as government or military projects: the PE is a requirement for at least one person in each discipline of any design. Electrical designs for buildings and power distribuition are not considered complete without a PE to sign and seal the design documents. In fact no public building or project can be approved or built unless the design documents are signed and sealed by a licensed PE.

• Informative
Likes Lnewqban, berkeman and icesalmon
CalcNerd said:
Try to be selective in who you work for ie it is in you best interest to work for a firm with serveral PEs as you need several PEs for future reference when you apply for your PE license. Working for a single consultant may get you lots of tutorage, but not as much exposure to other engineers.
Is experience gained from a group of PEs as opposed to a single PE cumulative? If I have to work for 4-5 years gaining experience, and I work under John Doe for 3 years and Jane Doe for 1-2 more years does this count as 4-5 years of experience under a PE? And how does experience transfer, let's say I have to move and find a new job in the same field in a different part of the country. Does my previous work experience transfer over or do I have to start over from day 1?

Your experience is the time you take to gain knowledge in your field ie your 4 years of experience under 1 or two or 20 engineers.
To provide a you a reference the PE has to have knowledge of your work and ethical standards for a minimum of one year. Most states require 5 references before they let you sit for the PE exam (Some states only need 3 references to be licensed). The requirements vary by state.

Likes icesalmon and Lnewqban
CalcNerd said:
Your experience is the time you take to gain knowledge in your field ie your 4 years of experience under 1 or two or 20 engineers.
To provide a you a reference the PE has to have knowledge of your work and ethical standards for a minimum of one year. Most states require 5 references before they let you sit for the PE exam (Some states only need 3 references to be licensed). The requirements vary by state.
how does work as an EIT differ from that of a regular entry level engineer with a bachelors? sorry if I'm moving this thread in a different direction than one I intended from the OP.

No real difference. Many graduating engineers graduate with the idea that they will take the EIT exam after they graduate. My own advice is to take the EIT as soon as you are able or to take it as soon as you can after you graduate. Waiting only means that you will need to study harder and longer as Knowledge (at least for me) is like sand in an hour glass (that one gets to add sand to as one learns). However, sand (Knowledge) is always slipping away as well.
The PE exam is quite a bit different than the EIT exam. You get to bring all the refence books you can carry and many of the problems will be of a practical nature that you hopefully have done or have enough information in your reference material to successfully solve quickly.
One difference though. Career path. Those with an EIT will more likely go on to get their PE vs if they wait a year or two to take the EIT, it becomes harder to actually pass and most states (not all) require the EIT to sit for the PE exam. This can ultimately close the door to getting the PE for engineers that do not take and pass the EIT as quickly as they can.

1. What is the FE exam and why is it important?

The FE exam, or Fundamentals of Engineering exam, is a standardized exam that assesses the knowledge and skills of engineering graduates. It is an important step towards becoming a licensed Professional Engineer (PE) and is required for most engineering jobs.

2. What are my options after passing the FE exam?

After passing the FE exam, you can choose to gain work experience under a licensed PE or pursue a graduate degree in engineering. You can also start preparing for the PE exam, which is the next step towards obtaining a PE license.

3. How can I gain work experience as an engineering graduate?

You can gain work experience through internships or entry-level positions in engineering firms. It is important to choose a job that aligns with your interests and allows you to work under a licensed PE, as this experience is required for obtaining a PE license.

4. What is the PE exam and how do I prepare for it?

The PE exam, or Principles and Practice of Engineering exam, is a comprehensive exam that tests your engineering knowledge and skills in your chosen discipline. It is the final step towards becoming a licensed PE. You can prepare for the exam by studying and reviewing material from your undergraduate courses and using study guides and practice exams.

5. What are the benefits of obtaining a PE license?

Obtaining a PE license demonstrates your competence and commitment to the engineering profession. It can also lead to higher job opportunities and salaries. Additionally, a PE license allows you to take on independent projects and sign off on engineering plans and designs, giving you more autonomy in your career.