Just found out there is strontium in composite dental fillings

• Thread starter justamom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Composite
In summary: The most relevant source of radioactivity of epidemiological relevance is indoor radon from radioactive decay of naturally occurring uranium in soil. After smoking, exposure to indoor Radon is the second most important risk for lung cancer. There are tests to measure radon exposure commercially available (and rather cheap).
justamom
TL;DR Summary
How harmful is this? I have so many dental fillings, used to have a mercury one but it has been replaced with a composite one, I think I have like 5 of these fillings, two of them placed when I was nursing my babies... the other ones I had while pregnant with my babies... just found out they put strontium, barium and zirconium in these composite fillings to make them radiopaque on dental X-rays, how much radiation is being emitted from this? Also I’m sure I ingested some as well
I have like 5 composite dental fillings, two placed when I was nursing my babies. Found out they have strontium, barium and zirconium in them to make them radiopaque on the X-rays. Now worried I am radioactive since I have that stuff in me, worried for my kids as I was pregnant and nursing them with these fillings in, in fact I swallowed some of the fillings when I was nursing my baby... also I’m with my kids 24/7, so they are being exposed to radiation just by standing next to me or if I kiss them, since the strontium in my teeth is right there... how harmful is this? How much radiation is there?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The strontium in your artificial dental material isn't the highly radioactive strontium 90 isotope -- there are 4 naturally-ocurring isotopes -- there's strontium in human teeth anyway -- your dentist would never use radioactive material for composites emplaced in human teeth -- no effing way . . .

• Informative
Likes Astronuc, russ_watters and Keith_McClary
sysprog said:
The strontium in your artificial dental material isn't the highly radioactive strontium 90 isotope -- there are 4 naturally-ocurring isotopes -- there's strontium in human teeth anyway -- your dentist would never use radioactive material for composites emplaced in human teeth -- no effing way . . .
So the strontium and barium and zirconium used in dental fillings aren’t radioactive?

justamom said:
So the strontium and barium and zirconium used in dental fillings aren’t radioactive?
No they are not. Pretty much all naturally occurring atoms of these elements are the non-radioactive kind. You have to actively set out to manufacture the radioactive kind for radiotherapy.

In fact, the radioactive varieties would be useless for something like a dental compound because these elements are included for their chemistry. If they decayed they'd turn into a different element with different chemistry, and they wouldn't be doing their job any more.

Last edited:
Likes Astronuc
If they were radioactive, they would make bright spots on an X-ray pictures. That's the opposite of the objective of making them opaque to X-rays to make dark spots on the X-ray picture.

Likes Astronuc and sysprog
anorlunda said:
If they were radioactive, they would make bright spots on an X-ray pictures. That's the opposite of the objective of making them opaque to X-rays to make dark spots on the X-ray picture.
I think radiopaque means it lights up on an X-ray. I googled and it said it makes it show up on an X-ray such as metals would do

justamom said:
I think radiopaque means it lights up on an X-ray. I googled and it said it makes it show up on an X-ray such as metals would do
Most X-ray photographs are actually negatives - so the bright parts are shadows of things like your bones and (as you say) your fillings. Such an X-ray picture of an ionising radiation source would show a dark foggy patch.

Ibix said:
No they are not. Pretty much all naturally occurring atoms of these elements are the non-radioactive kind. You have to actively set out to manufacture the radioactive kind for radiotherapy.

In fact, the radioactive varieties would be useless for something like a dental compound because these elements are included for their chemistry. If they decayed they'd turn into a different element with different chemistry, and they wouldn't be doing their job any more.
I just found out from my dentist that the filling he gave me is made of ceramics... how radioactive are ceramics?

Ceramics are materials like plates and cups - in this case, presumably a kind chosen to match the hardness of your teeth. They aren't radioactive. Nothing anybody is going to put in your body is radioactive (think of the lawsuits they'd be exposing themselves to), except where they're doing it deliberately to treat cancer.

Ibix said:
Ceramics are materials like plates and cups - in this case, presumably a kind chosen to match the hardness of your teeth. They aren't radioactive. Nothing anybody is going to put in your body is radioactive (think of the lawsuits they'd be exposing themselves to), except where they're doing it deliberately to treat cancer.
Thank u so much, I guess I’m so paranoid about things being radioactive but it is good to know that the radioactive stuff is rare and hopefully we will never come near any of that stuff

justamom said:
They are not.

The most relevant source of radioactivity of epidemiological relevance is indoor radon from radioactive decay of naturally occurring uranium in soil. After smoking, exposure to indoor Radon is the second most important risk for lung cancer. There are tests to measure radon exposure commercially available (and rather cheap).
See: https://www.epa.gov/radon

Likes russ_watters
justamom said:
Thank u so much, I guess I’m so paranoid about things being radioactive but it is good to know that the radioactive stuff is rare and hopefully we will never come near any of that stuff
Instead of debunking an endless stream of individual fears I wish we could disabuse you of your overall false notion about radioactivity/ionizing radiation. Because the reality is that you can't avoid it and you need to understand the real risks, not have an extreme fear of/reaction to any number that isn't zero. Not understanding what to fear and what not to fear and instead fearing everything is just not a healthy way to go through life. Or worse, fearing things you shouldn't while not fearing(or at least be concerned about) things you should.

I sure hope you get x-rays when needed, have pretty granite countertops, are not afraid of going into basements, fly in planes, enjoy sunlight and...well...are not afraid of the constant bombardment of radiation you receive every moment of your life.

• Love
Likes DaveE, dlgoff, sysprog and 4 others
I fully second what russ has said.
I have been working several years as an epidemiologist in radiation protection.
The take home message may be the following:

Cancer is a very common disease and gets increasing, not because there is so much more dangerous stuff outside (on the contrary), but because people get older on the mean. Only a fraction of cancers is probably due to external factors.

Main risk factors you can avoid are:
1. Smoking
2. Obesity
3. Lack of physical exercise
4. Regular consumption of alcohol
5. Unhealthy food (much meat, few vegetables)

Artificial radiation is only a minor risk factor and in almost all countries there are very efficient and strict measures taken to make sure people are not getting into contact with dangerous levels of radioactivity.

The major remaining sources of potential dangerous levels of radiation are:
1. Sunlight: Black and white skin cancer are known to be induced mainly by exposure to sunlight, especially its ultraviolet part. The skin of childs is especially in need of protection, here. Make sure they wear long sleeved shirts and trousers or sunscreen with a high protection factor when sun is intense. Avoid being outside between 11 am and 4 pm in summer when sun intensity is highest. Get regular skin checks by a dermatologist. Do not visit sun studios.
2. Radon: Get your home checked if you are in a risk area
3. Unnecessary CT Scans: While a CT scan makes much sense if you have e.g. broken your hip, some doctors offer CT scans as part of a routine health check up. The latter ones should be avoided. Ask whether instead of a CT scan, it is possible to do an MRT, where no X-rays are involved at all.

It is important to detect cancers as soon as possible. Make sure to participate regularly in checkups like mammography, colonoscopy depending on your age and risk.
If you still feel paranoid about radioactivity and cancer, you should also consider these two options:
1. Try to get a better scientific understanding of what radioactivity really is.
2. Seek help from a psychologist, maybe a psychotherapy.

• Informative
Likes Keith_McClary, sysprog, russ_watters and 1 other person
justamom said:
...it is good to know that the radioactive stuff is rare...
That's not exactly true. There are some naturally occurring radioactive isotopes which are just part of us.
There are some other natural (external) sources of radioactivity too.
These are just parts of everyday life and does not means much more danger than an accidental sniff of cigarette smoke on a busy street. You can't run from them.

What you can say is that the really nasty stuff is rare and well controlled/monitored, up to a close-to-paranoid level.

Likes DaveE, sysprog and russ_watters
DrDu said:
I fully second what russ has said.
I have been working several years as an epidemiologist in radiation protection.
The take home message may be the following:

Cancer is a very common disease and gets increasing, not because there is so much more dangerous stuff outside (on the contrary), but because people get older on the mean. Only a fraction of cancers is probably due to external factors.

Main risk factors you can avoid are:
1. Smoking
2. Obesity
3. Lack of physical exercise
4. Regular consumption of alcohol
5. Unhealthy food (much meat, few vegetables)

Artificial radiation is only a minor risk factor and in almost all countries there are very efficient and strict measures taken to make sure people are not getting into contact with dangerous levels of radioactivity.

The major remaining sources of potential dangerous levels of radiation are:
1. Sunlight: Black and white skin cancer are known to be induced mainly by exposure to sunlight, especially its ultraviolet part. The skin of childs is especially in need of protection, here. Make sure they wear long sleeved shirts and trousers or sunscreen with a high protection factor when sun is intense. Avoid being outside between 11 am and 4 pm in summer when sun intensity is highest. Get regular skin checks by a dermatologist. Do not visit sun studios.
2. Radon: Get your home checked if you are in a risk area
3. Unnecessary CT Scans: While a CT scan makes much sense if you have e.g. broken your hip, some doctors offer CT scans as part of a routine health check up. The latter ones should be avoided. Ask whether instead of a CT scan, it is possible to do an MRT, where no X-rays are involved at all.

It is important to detect cancers as soon as possible. Make sure to participate regularly in checkups like mammography, colonoscopy depending on your age and risk.
If you still feel paranoid about radioactivity and cancer, you should also consider these two options:
1. Try to get a better scientific understanding of what radioactivity really is.
2. Seek help from a psychologist, maybe a psychotherapy.
I’m not really afraid of myself getting cancer, more of my kids getting childhood cancer. It seems so common nowadays. When my oldest was a baby, I followed two accounts on Facebook, both were friends of my friends whos daughters had pediatric cancer. They both ended up passing away within months of each other, it saddened and scared me so much. My young cousin who is in his early 20s was also diagnosed with leukemia last year. I was researching the cause of pediatric cancer and a lot of articles said that radiation exposure causes pediatric cancer. We happen to live near a nuclear power plant as well as near several former military bases and bomb manufacturing sites, so I know there is a lot of radioactive waste here, and I am wondering if this is what caused all of the pediatric cancer cases near us as there seem to be a lot here(in Southern California)

Rive said:
That's not exactly true. There are some naturally occurring radioactive isotopes which are just part of us.
There are some other natural (external) sources of radioactivity too.
These are just parts of everyday life and does not means much more danger than an accidental sniff of cigarette smoke on a busy street. You can't run from them.

What you can say is that the really nasty stuff is rare and well controlled/monitored, up to a close-to-paranoid level.
I guess I’m worried that something like what happened in Goia, Brazil will happen here. Some people get into the dangerous stuff and spread it everywhere intentionally or unintentionally. To this day I’m afraid of using anything that wasn’t tamped sealed, for fear of bad guys tampering the food products with radioactive powder... how rational is this thought?

justamom said:
I guess I’m worried that something like what happened in Goia, Brazil
Sure, but accidents like that happen all the time with non-radioactive hazards.

The proper way to view it is risk, not the kind of hazard.

Risk = severity of consequences times probability of occurence.

Using water to try to put out a grease fire on the stove is both severe and it happens every day. That's high risk. But you, like many people, fear the unusual more than the everyday. That's not rational, but it is human.

Likes Keith_McClary, russ_watters and Rive
DrDu said:
Try to get a better scientific understanding of what radioactivity really is.
This could be a good idea.

I read a nice book, "Power to Save the World," by Gwyneth Cravens. The author is a regular person and writes clearly without any BS.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0307385876/?tag=pfamazon01-20

$11 new, half that used. You can borrow my copy if you wish.

Well, in the 50's and 60's USA and russia have contaminated the whole planet radioactively in perfect harmony, but most of it has been washed away by now. I don't think there is radioactive contamination where you live because it is easy to detect and somebody would have complained about it. I remember when we had radioactive fallout from Chernobyl in the 80's and you could detect it with any Geiger counter, but today, there are only some mushrooms left with slightly increased levels of radiocesium.
Leukemia in children is tragic but probably not due to radioactivity. Clusters of cases are observed every now and then and epidemiologists think it is most probable that this is due to some unknown viral infection. Goiania was one of the most terrible nuclear accidents and it didn't take part in California but in a rather remote part of Brazil. Since then, all countries have increased the measures to track and control these radioactive sources. I don't think somebody will sprinkle some of it over your food.

justamom said:
for fear of bad guys tampering the food products with radioactive powder... how rational is this thought?
Not really. Radioactive stuff: especially potent/dangerous radioactive stuff is really hard to get.
On this (imaginary) line classic chemical hazards are .. huh... how should I say this? ... Far less negligible (but still, extremely low).
You can get an old, buried, unknown waste or pesticide dump far more easily than getting in touch with anything (dangerously) radioactive.

I could find examples fairly easily but I would prefer not to feed your worries.

I don't know where do you live but if possible (some open days or organized visits?) try to get in some nuclear (related) places. Knowledge and experience can moderate irrational worries.

Last edited:
Likes Keith_McClary
Rive said:
I don't know where do you live
justamom said:
there seem to be a lot here (in Southern California)

• Informative
Likes Rive
Thanks @berkeman
I don't know how things works there regarding plant- or lab visits, but based on that the feared risk is practically negligible.

Likes berkeman
anorlunda said:
Using water to try to put out a grease fire on the stove

Some of us like radioactive things. Image from https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/beauty-of-old-electrical-and-measuring-things-etc.755959/
albeit it's only X-rays.

x-ray on.jpg

Likes anorlunda
dlgoff said:
Some of us like radioactive things.
Yeah, but you have the dozen Geiger counters that you've restored and calibrated. I'm not sure the OP has received her Geiger counter from Amazon yet...

Likes dlgoff
berkeman said:
Yeah, but you have the dozen Geiger counters that you've restored and calibrated. I'm not sure the OP has received her Geiger counter from Amazon yet...
Yeah. Better safe than sorry. However, I'm sure I've gotten enough over the years equivalent to a couple chest X-rays.

I'm certainly not condoning playing with this kind of thing.

justamom said:
I guess I’m worried that something like what happened in Goia, Brazil will happen here. Some people get into the dangerous stuff and spread it everywhere intentionally or unintentionally. To this day I’m afraid of using anything that wasn’t tamped sealed, for fear of bad guys tampering the food products with radioactive powder... how rational is this thought?
It's really not rational in the way you are applying it, and I think you know that. You said in a prior post that you have "really bad contamination OCD". So you know - or at least have been told - that that's medical problem that can't be fixed with knowledge alone. We can help you with the knowledge (if you are truly listening), but please, please, please make sure you are being treated by a doctor for the underlying problem.

Likes berkeman
russ_watters said:
It's really not rational in the way you are applying it, and I think you know that. You said in a prior post that you have "really bad contamination OCD". So you know - or at least have been told - that that's medical problem that can't be fixed with knowledge alone. We can help you with the knowledge (if you are truly listening), but please, please, please make sure you are being treated by a doctor for the underlying problem.
This has been our advice at the end of your last couple of threads. Please do not start any more threads here with this theme until you can PM me about how your doctor visits have gone. Thank you.

1. What is strontium and why is it used in composite dental fillings?

Strontium is a chemical element with the symbol Sr and atomic number 38. It is a silvery-white metal that is commonly used in composite dental fillings because it helps to strengthen the material and improve its durability.

2. Is strontium safe for use in dental fillings?

Yes, strontium is considered safe for use in dental fillings. It has been extensively studied and approved by regulatory agencies such as the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for use in dental materials.

3. Are there any potential health risks associated with strontium in dental fillings?

There have been concerns about potential health risks associated with strontium in dental fillings, but research has shown that the amount of strontium released from fillings is minimal and does not pose a significant risk to human health.

4. How long has strontium been used in dental fillings?

Strontium has been used in dental fillings for several decades. It was first introduced in the 1960s and has since been refined and improved for use in modern composite fillings.

5. Are there any alternative materials to strontium for dental fillings?

Yes, there are alternative materials to strontium for dental fillings, such as glass ionomer and resin-modified glass ionomer fillings. However, strontium remains a popular choice due to its proven effectiveness and safety.