How long can you be exposed to gamma radiation for

In summary, the conversation is about exposure to gamma radiation and the concerns of being exposed to a cobalt-60 source for multiple hours at a time. The difference between various units of radiation is also discussed, along with the safety regulations and guidelines set by the EPA. The amount of exposure received from the source is calculated and compared to other sources of radiation.
Orbal
So my question is, how long can you be exposed to a gamma radiation for?

Specifically, I've been working with a sealed cobalt-60 source for a final presentation. Now my professor noted to me that these sources we're using aren't radioactive enough to cause us any harm. However, I've been working with this source for approximately 3-4 hours at a time for approximately 4 different days now.

Its a cobalt-60 source labelled at 0.1microcuries. Can someone provide inside into what the difference between all the units of radiation are including rad,rem,curie,roentgen, becquerel, etc. I've found so many units its hard to differentiate and make sense of them all. I also want to make sure I'm not overstepping my bounds when it comes to the amount of time I'm being exposed to this source for. Also whether or not the headaches i get aren't just a placebo effect and worrying too much about it.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on who "you" are and how strong the source is.

The sources you use in lab are usually very weak - unless you swallow them, you won't get more than normal background radiation off them at any reasonable distance. Even if swallowed, there is a bigger choking hazard because of the size of the slug - and some sources are poisonous.

1 Curie is the radiation from 1g of radium ... forms a useful standard since early knowledge of the harm due to exposure came from people working with radium (i.e. in paint used for watch dials).

See also:
Radiation measures: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nuclear/radrisk.html
EPA guidelines: https://www.epa.gov/radiation
... the safe levels are usually worked out so that you cannot get a dose high enough to make you sick even after 70 or so years of continuous exposure.
There was a scare awhile ago about radium in the drinking water in parts of Texas... which is the last time I looked at it.
If you are not in the USA, your government will have similar regulations.

I had this big long response, but I closed the tab by accident. :mad:

Without going through all the working for you, as I did before, if you just sat 1m from the source, and didn't do anything silly like eat it, you will have received about 16 μSv of dose in total over 16 hours. The average person, just living their lives, receives about 10 μSv of dose a day. If you've ever been in a airplane, you've received a higher dose. If you've ever been on a black sand beach, you can have exposure rates up to 100 μSv/hr. If you've ever had an x-ray at a dentist, you'd have a dose there of about 150 μSv. A slight headache from radiation poisoning is only possible at a whole body dose several orders of magnitude higher than your absorbed dose (1 Gy of whole body absorbed dose).

Likes vanhees71, Orbal and mfb

What is gamma radiation?

Gamma radiation is a type of high-energy electromagnetic radiation that is produced by the decay of atomic nuclei. It is the most energetic form of electromagnetic radiation and is commonly used in medical and industrial applications.

What are the potential health risks of exposure to gamma radiation?

Exposure to gamma radiation can damage cells and DNA in the body, leading to a variety of health effects such as radiation sickness, cancer, and genetic mutations. The severity of these effects depends on the level of exposure and duration of exposure.

How long can a person be exposed to gamma radiation?

The length of time a person can be exposed to gamma radiation without experiencing harmful effects varies depending on the level of exposure. In general, the lower the exposure, the longer a person can be exposed without significant health risks. Exposure limits are typically set by regulatory agencies and vary by country.

What factors can affect the amount of gamma radiation a person is exposed to?

The amount of gamma radiation a person is exposed to can be affected by several factors, including the type of radiation source, distance from the source, and shielding materials. Other factors such as duration of exposure and individual characteristics (e.g. age, gender, health status) can also play a role.

How can you protect yourself from gamma radiation?

To protect yourself from gamma radiation, it is important to limit your exposure to sources of radiation and to use shielding materials such as lead or concrete to block the radiation. It is also important to follow safety protocols and regulations when working with radioactive materials or in environments with high levels of gamma radiation.