Just got Phy+Math Degree, Waiting for Grad School, what to do

In summary, the OP is seeking suggestions on ways to make money and gain valuable experience for their grad school application. They have 1.5 years before they enter grad school and have just completed their undergraduate studies in mathematics and physics with research experience. They will be living near Tampa, Florida and are considering a tutoring job for their resume and enjoyment, but it only marginally helps with their financial situation. They are wondering if there are any other opportunities that could provide both good experience and good pay. They have acquired skills in Linux systems and coding during their research, but are not confident in pursuing coding jobs. They will also look into lab tech positions at nearby universities.
RJLiberator
Gold Member
I'm looking for suggestions on ways to:
a) Make some money
b) Get valuable experience that looks good on my grad school application

My timeline:
Right now it is September 2018. I will be taking the Physics GRE in September 2019/Oct. 2019. I'll be applying for Physics Grad Schools soon after this by Dec 2019 in hopes to get in for August-ish 2020.

That gives me roughly 1.5 years before I enter Grad school.

My history:
I just got a BS in mathematics and a BA in physics in May. I have plenty of research experience from this time.
Right now, I am moving back to my pops house as he is going through some challenging health problems. This gives me free rent/elec/internet, which is double nice since I have debt pouring down on me starting January 2019 (Roughly $350.00 per month or so). This also means I am settled somewhere near Tampa, Florida for the 1.5 years.

Right now I am looking at:
There is a tutoring center very close to my house. I am pretty sure I can get a job here. However, this would be minimum wage, roughly 20 hours per week, and not available during the off-season.
This would be a good job for my resume/experience AND i'd actually really enjoy it. So I'm ok with this. But it only marginally gets me over the $$$ issue for the time that it is in school.

My question to you:
Is there any opportunities that I am passing up that would both look good on my graduate school resume AND pay me well?

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
To the OP:

I have a question for you. You state that you have plenty of research experience from your time pursuing your undergraduate studies. What types of skills have you acquired during that time?

I ask this because if you have developed, say, computational skills, then that should give you opportunities to pursue work in, say, software development as an example. Also, Tampa is the location of several military bases -- if you have the security clearance, perhaps seeking some time of defense-related work could be something you could look into.

You mentioned the tutoring centre. Have you also looked at local colleges/universities to see if there may be lab tech type of work available there?

Likes RJLiberator
StatGuy2000 said:
To the OP:

I have a question for you. You state that you have plenty of research experience from your time pursuing your undergraduate studies. What types of skills have you acquired during that time?

I ask this because if you have developed, say, computational skills, then that should give you opportunities to pursue work in, say, software development as an example. Also, Tampa is the location of several military bases -- if you have the security clearance, perhaps seeking some time of defense-related work could be something you could look into.

You mentioned the tutoring centre. Have you also looked at local colleges/universities to see if there may be lab tech type of work available there?

Thanks for the reply.
In my research, I learned how to use Linux systems and code in various languages (FORTRAN namely, C++). It's all on the theory side of things rather than experimental.

It's been hard for me to get the 'mojo' or motivation to look into computer jobs since my coding skills, while acceptable, are not great. I'd not be good in a coding-intensive job, but I could get by with a little coding here and there. Other than that, I'm just not too familiar with the various computer jobs so my confidence level would be low.

I will look at the nearby universities, that's a good suggestion.

1. What career options are available after obtaining a Physics and Mathematics degree?

There are various career paths available for individuals with a degree in Physics and Mathematics. Some common options include working as a data analyst, research scientist, financial analyst, or software engineer. Graduates can also pursue further education in fields such as astrophysics, engineering, or mathematics.

2. How can I gain relevant experience while waiting for grad school?

There are several ways to gain experience in your field while waiting for grad school. You can apply for internships or research positions, volunteer at a local organization, or participate in online courses or workshops. Additionally, you can work on personal projects or collaborate with other professionals in your field.

3. Is it necessary to attend grad school after obtaining a Physics and Mathematics degree?

Attending grad school is not mandatory, but it can provide advanced knowledge and skills that can enhance your career prospects. Grad school can also open up opportunities for research and teaching positions in academia.

4. How can I prepare for grad school while waiting for admission?

To prepare for grad school, you can start by reviewing fundamental concepts in Physics and Mathematics, brushing up on your programming skills, and familiarizing yourself with the research interests of potential advisors. It is also essential to prioritize good time management and organization skills to excel in a graduate program.

5. What are some factors to consider when choosing a graduate program?

When choosing a graduate program, some crucial factors to consider include the program's curriculum and research opportunities, the faculty and their areas of expertise, the location and cost of the program, and the potential for internships or collaborations with industry partners. It is also essential to assess your personal interests and career goals to find a program that aligns with them.