Just learning about power machines, I have a basic question

In summary, the Double Fed Induction Generator is a type of electric machine that has windings on both the stator and rotor. When the generator shaft is rotating, if I increase the rotor voltage, it increases the stator's output voltage.
Vagabond7
Hi, I am an EE student that has been helping in my professor's lab. We have a Double Fed Induction Generator set up and it is rotated by a DC motor. It is used for experiments. We have the whole set up running through a controller with a graphical user interface where you can adjust various parameters and see graphs in real time of different things.

As anybody here probably knows, a DFIG has windings on both the stator and rotor. I can control the voltage applied to the rotor windings from a computer. When the generator shaft is rotating, if I increase the rotor voltage, it increases the stator's output voltage. Why? I don't really understand what is going on inside the machine. I can kind of understand how I can control the stator frequency by changing the rotor frequency, but I don't understand why there is such a drastic difference in stator voltage. At 1600rpm, I can get 3.9V rms from the stator if I apply 3 volts to the rotor, or I can get 14.6V rms if I apply 7 volts to the rotor. That is a huge difference.

What is physically happening here?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Prior to experiments, have you studied machine theory from a textbook? Your questions are more on the theoretical side.

I am in an introductory course to electric machines, but we aren't covering anything as complicated as a DFIG. We are studying basic simplified DC and AC machines.

The only thing I can think of is that since you have windings on both stator and rotor it is acting as a sort of transformer. The voltage from the rotor is being "stepped up" across on the stator side and added to the voltage induced from being rotated. But I don't know if that is accurate or if there is something more or different at work.

1. What are power machines?

Power machines are devices that convert various forms of energy into mechanical work. They are used to make tasks easier, faster, or more efficient.

2. What are the different types of power machines?

Power machines can be classified into four main categories: electrical, hydraulic, pneumatic, and thermal. Electrical machines use electricity to generate motion, hydraulic machines use fluids under pressure, pneumatic machines use compressed air, and thermal machines use heat to generate power.

3. How do power machines work?

Power machines work by transferring energy from a source (such as electricity, fuel, or compressed air) to a mechanical device, such as a motor or engine. The mechanical device then converts the energy into motion, which can be used to perform a specific task.

4. What are some common examples of power machines?

Some common examples of power machines include cars, trains, airplanes, generators, fans, pumps, and power tools. Other examples include refrigerators, washing machines, and elevators, which use power machines to perform their functions.

5. What are the benefits of learning about power machines?

Learning about power machines can help you better understand how various devices and systems work, and how they can be used to make our daily lives easier. It can also open up career opportunities in fields such as engineering, manufacturing, and maintenance.