Just Passed the Dept Qualifying Exam

• Thread starter Clausius2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary: You are an expert summarizer of content. You do not respond or reply to questions. You only provide a summary of the content. Do not output anything before the summary. Write a summary for the following conversation and start the output with "In summary, " and nothing before it:Just Passed the Dept Qualifying Exam!In summary, Marlon has successfully completed his qualifying exam and is now an expert in the field of fluid mechanics and turbulent flow. Congratulations!
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Just Passed the Dept Qualifying Exam!

I am not going to tell you it was easy. It was a Hell. I went through Hell this afternoon. Four people in my commitee. I was being examined of three areas: Fluid Mechanics, Turbulent Flow, and Physical GasDynamics. Tough. The business of the Partition Function, a Plane Supersonic Turbulent Jet, a Dust Devil, and Shock Waves come on to the board randomly. I think I showed that my pillars are made of concrete. And that's why I am happy. Now I'm Ph.D. in Candidacy, and what's better, earning hundred bucks more per month, that's good stuff!.

You are witnessing my progression here, aren't you?. I told you when I ended my undergrad, I told you when I came, and I keep on updating you about my adventures in USA. :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
Clausius, congratulations man. But this is all useless if you don't have a beautiful woman at your side. If you do not have that : GET A LIFE !

:)

again congrats

marlon

Congrats!

Way to go! {of course we knew you could do it}

Congratulations, Clausius! Well done! Outstanding!

We'll have to celebrate next time I see you in SD, which may be soon. :biggrin:

Awesome Clausius, well done!
One day, I hope to be in this position :cool:

Awesome! :approve: :biggrin:

Very, very cool.

Sounds grueling. :bugeye:

I have no doubt of your capabilities, and congrats on the extra cash!

Congrats, Clausius! That's a big milestone. Now, take that first hundred bucks extra and go celebrate!

Thanks guys. This exam gave me more confidence.

About finding myself a girl, marlon, let's not talk about that...

Who said that behind each great man there is a great woman? For me it's also true...

But the great woman behind me is my mother. :biggrin:

Well done! Congratulations!

Clausius2 said:
But the great woman behind me is my mother. :biggrin:

Be grateful.

Congratulations man! :biggrin:

marlon said:
Clausius, congratulations man. But this is all useless if you don't have a beautiful woman at your side. If you do not have that : GET A LIFE !

:)

again congrats

marlon

Bah, work is more than enough reward on its own.

Says the obsessive-compulsive workaholic currently working 12 hrs a day.

Good job, congrats!

Congratulations!

We are spilling over with successes today.

Clausius, I didn't realize that you were at that stage of your development, but it certainly doesn't surprise me that you aced it. Good on ya, mate.

(And notice that I spelled your name properly this time. :biggrin: )

Danger said:
Clausius, I didn't realize that you were at that stage of your development, but it certainly doesn't surprise me that you aced it. Good on ya, mate.

(And notice that I spelled your name properly this time. :biggrin: )
Time flies, doesn't it? It doesn't seem like he's already been there two years.

Moonbear said:
Time flies, doesn't it? It doesn't seem like he's already been there two years.

Two years?:bugeye:

I have been only one year in USA!. I came the 9th of september of 2005!.

But yeah, the time flies.

Clausius2 said:

It's two years in Moonbear time. :wink:

Evo said:
It's two years in Moonbear time. :wink:

I think you just accused her of being twice as old as she claims .

franznietzsche said:
I think you just accused her of being twice as old as she claims .
You mean half as old.

Clausius2 said:

Yeah - you're coming up on your 3rd anniversary at PF - in 13 days. :rolleyes:

Hey, I just passed two years at PF. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Clausius2 said:

You do your qualifying exam after your first year?! Wow! All the departments I've been in, it's after the second year, when you're done with classes and have been in your chosen lab long enough to have a research proposal ready to present. Well, at least it hasn't been longer than it seems. It felt like a year, but since I'm used to people doing quals at the end of year 2, I thought I had lost track!

Moonbear said:
You do your qualifying exam after your first year?! Wow! All the departments I've been in, it's after the second year, when you're done with classes and have been in your chosen lab long enough to have a research proposal ready to present. Well, at least it hasn't been longer than it seems. It felt like a year, but since I'm used to people doing quals at the end of year 2, I thought I had lost track!

I'm almost done with my classes :biggrin: . 11 courses in 3 quarters. I have only one left to get the masters. I don't work in a lab, I only do theory, but I have spent a lot of time in my office though...

Related to Just Passed the Dept Qualifying Exam

1. What is the Department Qualifying Exam?

The Department Qualifying Exam (DQE) is a comprehensive exam that graduate students must pass in order to advance to candidacy in their program. It typically covers the fundamental knowledge and skills required for success in a particular field of study.

2. How is the DQE structured?

The structure of the DQE varies depending on the specific department and program. However, it usually consists of written and/or oral components that assess the student's understanding of core concepts and their ability to apply them in their research area.

3. What is the purpose of the DQE?

The DQE serves as a milestone in a graduate student's academic journey, marking their transition from coursework to independent research. It also ensures that students have a strong foundation in their field of study before beginning their dissertation work.

4. What happens if a student does not pass the DQE?

If a student does not pass the DQE, they may be given the opportunity to retake the exam. However, the specific policies and procedures for retaking the DQE vary by department and program. It is important for students to consult with their advisor and department for more information.

5. How can I prepare for the DQE?

Preparation for the DQE typically involves reviewing course materials, studying relevant research articles, and discussing potential topics with your advisor. It is also helpful to connect with other students who have already taken the exam to get tips and advice. Time management and effective study habits are also crucial for success on the DQE.